Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

believe14 Guest

Default Has the idea of K-12 boarding schools for DPS ever been floated? Would it work?

Reading about Newark's dysfunctional schools in New Yorker reminded me a lot of our problems here in Detroit: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

I'm not convinced there's any dollar amount you can throw at inner-city public, charters or privates. In fact, I believe leaders know this, and are motivated merely by funding the crony, political and union coffers. Over 50 years there's been no measurable increase in our nation's worst inner city schools. You can't blame white flight when districts like Newark, Detroit, Chicago and D.C. have some of the highest per pupil funding in the nation.

I believe the only way to disrupt the cycle would be widespread boarding schools. Would this ever be feasible? Newark is flushing $24,500 per student down the drain, tony Cranbrook is $39,000.
    Last edited by believe14; May-18-14 at 10:13 AM.