Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    If the enforcement is stricter than it is at other State Parks, I think there's a problem. If not, why should people be treated with kid gloves just because it's Detroit?
    Re Read Eastside Al's post carefully. He explained it well. Kind of wonder if Detroit is being treated like other parks. Don't they have park rangers? Belle Isle has 3 separate police forces at work no doubt trying to out do each other battling the "forces of evil". Frankly what appears to be going on is little overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Re Read Eastside Al's post carefully. He explained it well. Kind of wonder if Detroit is being treated like other parks. Don't they have park rangers? Belle Isle has 3 separate police forces at work no doubt trying to out do each other battling the "forces of evil". Frankly what appears to be going on is little overkill.
    Sorry, sumas. Only the State is patrolling Belle Isle.

An example of heavy handedness is a neighbor walked down the street good flattened to the ground from behind. They were cuffing him but grudgingly let him show id. Mistaken identity, no hand up , no sorry dude. Probably they were sorry they couldn't cuff him up on some other warrant.

Frivolous warrant. Heck I had a warrant out for my arrest. My son used a car registered to me and racked up many many parking tickets at grosse pointe south high school. As I worked, he would throw the mail out. When a police officer came to arrest me at home [[I was at work) it rattled my youngest so he told me immediately, made a court appearance and paid the fines. One might think the judge would have deducted the fines because I was blameless but no, it about the money. Most warrants are about un paid fines.

An example of heavy handedness is a neighbor walked down the street good flattened to the ground from behind. They were cuffing him but grudgingly let him show id. Mistaken identity, no hand up , no sorry dude. Probably they were sorry they couldn't cuff him up on some other warrant.

Frivolous warrant. Heck I had a warrant out for my arrest. My son used a car registered to me and racked up many many parking tickets at grosse pointe south high school. As I worked, he would throw the mail out. When a police officer came to arrest me at home [[I was at work) it rattled my youngest so he told me immediately, made a court appearance and paid the fines. One might think the judge would have deducted the fines because I was blameless but no, it about the money. Most warrants are about un paid fines.
    This is now a totally different conversation altogether. I don't support this type of police work.

But can people see how this scenario is a far cry from, "I was actually speeding, and I don't like that police are hassling me about it?"

Let's just replay the last week or so. Imagine that instead of complaining that people are getting pulled over for speeding infractions, she shared with us your story. I think the reaction would have been totally different.

There's the whole scenario in a nutshell. Outstanding tickets raised a flag, warrants were issued, Police were dispatched to make an arrest, court appearance was mandatory, fines paid. Regardless whether or not "it's about the money", your kid was breaking the law and there were repercussions. None of that happens in Detroit, no repercussions. Taxes go uncollected, fines go uncollected, theft goes unresolved, rape kits go untested, kids that can't read graduate, but only if they don't drop out. Done eating? Throw it out the window. Need a plate tag? The guy down the block is asleep. It's a way of life, and it has also given a sense of entitlement. Now that a REAL Police force is attempting to restore some sense of order, the racist and "po' but proud" flags are all over the field. One guy had 43 outstanding warrants, really, 43? He's got one hell of a long learning curve. I can see one, maybe two, but 43? He's habitual, with no respect for the law, period. He's accumulated those because for him, there are no repercussions. "What me worry". Sumas, I hope either you or Ron paddled your kid's ass red for that escapade. "One might think the judge would have deducted the fines because I was blameless" welcome to the real world of parenting.

Yes, a warrant is easier to acquire than some think and are often driving related. I am by no means making excuses, but I believe the tacit thought for some [[who knowingly drive with warrants) is that the DPD being busy wont stop them. They could drive under the radar. Now with the blue boys [[state troopers) on the isle that IS over. I have a brake light that's out as of this week. I best stay away from there until I have it fixed, I don't want the hassle even though my driving credentials are tight, 'right' and up to date.

Heck I had a warrant out for my arrest. My son used a car registered to me and racked up many many parking tickets at grosse pointe south high school. As I worked, he would throw the mail out. When a police officer came to arrest me at home [[I was at work) it rattled my youngest so he told me immediately, made a court appearance and paid the fines. One might think the judge would have deducted the fines because I was blameless but no, it about the money. Most warrants are about un paid fines.

In the first paragraph, the police obviously did wrong. When the cops truly "blow it out their ass" in a case of mistaken identity, the apologies up and down the line should be immediate and sincere. Depending on the level of harm suffered by the innocent, a courtesy visit and apology on the part of the shift lieutenant, precinct captain, or someone from the head office up to and including the chief [[depending on how badly the police screwed up) should be obligatory.

In the second paragraph, you were definitely the party in the wrong and justice was served [[as noted justice completing the circle should have included a raw, red behind for your son).