Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Should have called the police & ran.....[[as stated in the policy)!
    I am glad to see that when faced with a moral dilemma that you would choose to run away rather than possibly save one of your students.

If a dog was attacking one of my kids I would take whatever means necessary to get that dog off my child, including a broom handle. These were two teens acting like rabid dogs in a classroom and that teacher, using the only resource she had [[walkie talkie not working), put herself in great danger to try to stop these two animals from killing one another as well as hurting other students. I applaud her and would strongly suggest to whoever is in charge to give her her job back and the declare her a hero for her actions!

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    If a dog was attacking one of my kids I would take whatever means necessary to get that dog off my child, including a broom handle.
    Except for the fact that there wasn't a dog in this fight, but two human beings.

But don't hesitate to tell us how you really feel...

I totally agree. With union representation she would have fair representation which would have placed responsibility on the school for their crappy non-working equipment and their inconsistant rules that may apply differently in this situation. Does the teachers past performance count at all? No, she's not even given a fair chance. It's not like she went beating this boy with a broom because he didn't do his homework. Corporal punishement? What a joke. The kids get suspension for causing this and she gets fired. Now she has a lawyer. Good for her. Welcome to the NEW America!

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    So, question for all of you who believe this teacher was treated unfairly: do you recognize that the Snyder administration's union-busting, not the child or his mother, is what allowed this situation to play out as it did? Or do you only stick up for teachers when it gives you a chance to call some random woman you've never met a "shitbag?"

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Should have called the police & ran.....[[as stated in the policy)!
    Thank God for the policy! What would we do if we didn't have the policy. Its great that after the incident is over we have the Policy to guide us.

Imagine a world without policy. People might do things. And then we wouldn't know if what they did was right. This poor mother might not win her lawsuit for the brutal and unnecessary beating her child took at the hands of this teacher.

Could you live with yourself if this family had to continue to suffer?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Except for the fact that there wasn't a dog in this fight, but two human beings.

But don't hesitate to tell us how you really feel...
    Two "human beings" acting like animals, plain and simple. Look at the video again and observe the viciousness of this fight. These two should be held responsible for the damage they caused in this classroom; they should be held accountable and barred from the school for the entire semester, not 10 days. Instead, All the emphasis is on this poor teacher who should have received hazard pay for having to deal with savages like these two. She loses her job, they get a slap on the wrist, and Mommy will be retaining her ambulance chaser to file a lawsuit against the school, the teacher, the City of Detroit, the other kids family, the manufacturer of the broom, and the security company.
    What a windfall for her, her kid did good!

Two "human beings" acting like animals, plain and simple. Look at the video again and observe the viciousness of this fight. These two should be held responsible for the damage they caused in this classroom; they should be held accountable and barred from the school for the entire semester, not 10 days. Instead, All the emphasis is on this poor teacher who should have received hazard pay for having to deal with savages like these two. She loses her job, they get a slap on the wrist, and Mommy will be retaining her ambulance chaser to file a lawsuit against the school, the teacher, the City of Detroit, the other kids family, the manufacturer of the broom, and the security company.
    What a windfall for her, her kid did good!
    The kids should be disciplined for the actions however it is appalling that a one minute clip gives you enough insight to have to use parenthesis when calling them human beings.

You do realize there have always been and always be fight in schools [[and in playgrounds). Most older people like yourself state that times were better when kids dealt with issues with their fists and not weapons. That logic apparently does not apply to these "human beings" or animals or savages or whatever else you want to call them. Perhaps the issue is that you perceive them as animals and not human beings. Thanks for letting your bias come through completely.

For the record, the mom needs to shut her mouth and make sure that her son is disciplined. I don't want the 'You're the reason Detroit sucks' response that is so common here.
    Last edited by jt1; May-07-14 at 10:33 AM.

You have too many violent and rebellious children with violent and rebellious parents in DPS and the EAA. Teachers will get blamed for everything, and the decline will continue.
    My wife teaches in DPS. These fights have become the norm. The teachers are told not to intervene, but to call security. The kids don't care. A suspension is another form of "snow day."

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    My wife teaches in DPS. These fights have become the norm. The teachers are told not to intervene, but to call security. The kids don't care. A suspension is another form of "snow day."
    As a general policy, 'not to intervene' is a good strategy. But we don't know what the real situation here was/is. The teacher was in the room -- and she made a decision. Was it the right decision? I don't know. That's why I don't judge the teacher's actions. And I certainly don't think blindly following some policy from on-high in every circumstance is right either.

Once upon a time, parents and teachers used corporal [[physical) punishment. Today, a teacher uses physical intervention during a fight, and they're pilloried. What is the solution? I don't know. Are blanket policies the solution? No.

If she would have left the classroom she would have been fired

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    The kids should be disciplined for the actions however it is appalling that a one minute clip gives you enough insight to have to use parenthesis when calling them human beings.

You do realize there have always been and always be fight in schools [[and in playgrounds). Most older people like yourself state that times were better when kids dealt with issues with their fists and not weapons. That logic apparently does not apply to these "human beings" or animals or savages or whatever else you want to call them. Perhaps the issue is that you perceive them as animals and not human beings. Thanks for letting your bias come through completely.

For the record, the mom needs to shut her mouth and make sure that her son is disciplined. I don't want the 'You're the reason Detroit sucks' response that is so common here.

The one minute clip is appalling. It's not just that particular clip either. I have close relatives in DPD who have first hand information that this is everyday behavior within DPS. The actions that these animals take with each other, with security guards inside school [[ie., Jayru), the attacks after school, the harassment upon young girls, bullying, generally terrorizing other students, neighborhood families, has got to stop. No bias here, just truth and reality. I don't care where these things take place, I would feel the same way.
    I didn't like witnessing fist fights when I was a younger person and I don't like to see them now. I can probably be pretty accurate if I said usually a fistfight ended without a gun or a knife being pulled and someone getting killed. Today, that's a very real possibility because these animals don't care about human life.
    Incidentally, being black or white in this situation wouldn't make me change my mind about calling them animals or savages. Anyone who acts the way these two kids did are in that category in my book.

The teacher is the person I care about. She's the hero in my book.
    Last edited by cla1945; May-07-14 at 12:01 PM.

I have no issues with what the teacher did...

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    I totally agree. With union representation she would have fair representation which would have placed responsibility on the school for their crappy non-working equipment and their inconsistant rules that may apply differently in this situation. Does the teachers past performance count at all? No, she's not even given a fair chance. It's not like she went beating this boy with a broom because he didn't do his homework. Corporal punishement? What a joke. The kids get suspension for causing this and she gets fired. Now she has a lawyer. Good for her. Welcome to the NEW America!
    When I was younger -- and never in a union job -- I used to think unions caused more harm than good. As I got older, I began to see the need for employee representation, especially when an issue like this happens. Still have never worked for a union, but I was appalled to see what Snyder and his republican majority legislature did to ram Right to Work down our throats in a lame-duck session.

That said, I will repost this part of my previous comment as it pertains to what the leader of the President of the Detroit Federation of Teachers said. Understandably, he does not represent the EAA teachers, but I'm surprised he did not stand up for her actions.

Keith Johnson, President of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, tells FOX 2's Maurielle Lue he believes the teacher was wrong for using a broom, although he understands her motive.

[QUOTE=cla1945;434352]

For the record, the mom needs to shut her mouth and make sure that her son is disciplined. I don't want the 'You're the reason Detroit sucks' response that is so common here.[/QUOT

The one minute clip is appalling. It's not just that particular clip either. I have close relatives in DPD who have first hand information that this is everyday behavior within DPS. The actions that these animals take with each other, with security guards inside school [[ie., Jayru), the attacks after school, the harassment upon young girls, bullying, generally terrorizing other students, neighborhood families, has got to stop. No bias here, just truth and reality. I don't care where these things take place, I would feel the same way.
    I didn't like witnessing fist fights when I was a younger person and I don't like to see them now. I can probably be pretty accurate if I said usually a fistfight ended without a gun or a knife being pulled and someone getting killed. Today, that's a very real possibility because these animals don't care about human life.
    Incidentally, being black or white in this situation wouldn't make me change my mind about calling them animals or savages. Anyone who acts the way these two kids did are in that category in my book.

The teacher is the person I care about. She's the hero in my book.
    It's great that you are quick to judge and classify a whole bunch of kids as animals, savages, sub human, etc based upon a one minute clip and second hand stories about other kids.

The teacher, in my opinion, did the right thing and should not be disciplined but it doesn't change the fact that you form an opinion about kids [[and likely all people) based upon stories of what other kids did and a one minute clip.

I don't know if it is age, the fact that you are better than so many people or any other reason but you are awfully quick to consider people as sub human. What's even worse is your ease of the terms and your justification to apply them to so many people.

It breaks my heart that the savages in the city will no longer be paying for your healthcare. At least you can judge without your hand out to them and others in the community.

[QUOTE=jt1;434358]

It's great that you are quick to judge and classify a whole bunch of kids as animals, savages, sub human, etc based upon a one minute clip and second hand stories about other kids.

The teacher, in my opinion, did the right thing and should not be disciplined but it doesn't change the fact that you form an opinion about kids [[and likely all people) based upon stories of what other kids did and a one minute clip.

I don't know if it is age, the fact that you are better than so many people or any other reason but you are awfully quick to consider people as sub human. What's even worse is your ease of the terms and your justification to apply them to so many people.

It breaks my heart that the savages in the city will no longer be paying for your healthcare. At least you can judge without your hand out to them and others in the community.
    Coming from someone who had their post removed by Lowell because of a threat of shooting someone, I take what you say with a grain of salt. Also jt, you don't pay toward my pension and don't incinuate you do.

As to the two males in the WWF fight...a fight like this would have been resolved after school in my day...with a majority of the students with ringside seats...this fight wasn't different than any other fight I've seen...the name calling is mean spirited and ignorant...
    Last edited by SDCC; May-07-14 at 01:05 PM.

[QUOTE=cla1945;434359]

Coming from someone who had their post removed by Lowell because of a threat of shooting someone, I take what you say with a grain of salt. Also jt, you don't pay toward my pension and don't incinuate you do.
    Let me make one thing clear: I never threatened to shoot anyone. I stated that someone should shoot Bolger. Nowhere did I state that I would or want to. I even went so far to state that I would never shoot anyone. But one over the top post of mine negates the fact that you can, within a moment, dismiss people as animals, savages and sub-human. I see no correlation between my post and your statements.

So the city doesn't have to contribute towards pensions and retiree healthcare? If there are shortcomings in the funds then the city [[which I property and income taxes to) must make up the shortcoming. Of course, with the BK, then I won't have to contribute to your pensions or healthcare. Also, note that I stated healthcare which is very different than pension. You have not paid in to your healthcare over the years [[Please correct me if this is not accurate)

It works out for all of us: [[1) I don't have to support you or your healthcare costs [[2) you don't have to be supported by savages and animals. We can all be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    When I was younger -- and never in a union job -- I used to think unions caused more harm than good. As I got older, I began to see the need for employee representation, especially when an issue like this happens. Still have never worked for a union, but I was appalled to see what Snyder and his republican majority legislature did to ram Right to Work down our throats in a lame-duck session.

That said, I will repost this part of my previous comment as it pertains to what the leader of the President of the Detroit Federation of Teachers said. Understandably, he does not represent the EAA teachers, but I'm surprised he did not stand up for her actions.
    I agree as well that there are times and places for unions. Unfortunately, unions as they are currently constructed are a very blunt instrument that bring much pain [[highly defined work rules in workplaces with changing needs) along with needed collective representation.

You may dislike RTW or Snyder and think they are out to get workers, but neither of them prevent EAA teachers from freely choosing to unionize -- or did I miss some major exception to federal labor law here? All you have to do is petition the DOL, have a secret ballot election, and get 50% +1. Voila.

Me? I think the education world needs more rule-breakers than policy followers. More diversity, if you will. More people coming at the problem differently. I'm not too surprised that EAA teachers haven't decided to unionize.

its a win-win situation for both families of the kids involved... im sure the parents of the other kid getting the beat down will be suing the school to, for failure to prevent or properly supervise their angels.... won't sue the other kids parents, nothing to gain there....

[QUOTE=jt1;434361]

Let me make one thing clear: I never threatened to shoot anyone. I stated that someone should shoot Bolger. Nowhere did I state that I would or want to. I even went so far to state that I would never shoot anyone. But one over the top post of mine negates the fact that you can, within a moment, dismiss people as animals, savages and sub-human. I see no correlation between my post and your statements.

So the city doesn't have to contribute towards pensions and retiree healthcare? If there are shortcomings in the funds then the city [[which I property and income taxes to) must make up the shortcoming. Of course, with the BK, then I won't have to contribute to your pensions or healthcare. Also, note that I stated healthcare which is very different than pension. You have not paid in to your healthcare over the years [[Please correct me if this is not accurate)

It works out for all of us: [[1) I don't have to support you or your healthcare costs [[2) you don't have to be supported by savages and animals. We can all be happy.
    Let me be clear...your words were threatening, I'm sure you remember what you said. Other people responding suggested you remove the vile post as well...and, it eventually was deleted by the webmaster. So your post, within a moment, showed your attitude toward a person you disliked and your solution was to literally kill him.
    I've had plenty of experience with some people I would consider an animal or savage in Detroit. While I was running into fires in Detroit to save them, they were running out, then they took the opportunity to pull their guns and shoot at us.
    Yes, my mistake, I meant to say healthcare. I have paid premiums for my healthcare for many many years, and I'm not going to waste my time responding to what you think you contribute to my plan.

Let me be clear...your words were threatening, I'm sure you remember what you said. Other people responding suggested you remove the vile post as well...and, it eventually was deleted by the webmaster. So your post, within a moment, showed your attitude toward a person you disliked and your solution was to literally kill him.
    I still think this state would be better off is Bolger was no longer around. But, you read it as me threatening him which clearly was not the case. We can shelf the semantics on this issue.

I've had plenty of experience with some people I would consider an animal or savage in Detroit. While I was running into fires in Detroit to save them, they were running out, then they took the opportunity to pull their guns and shoot at us.
    And those experiences give you the right to make assumptions about a lot of other people, even kids that were fighting in school [[like tons of other kids do). It is more your quick, flippant dismissal as a lot of people as savages and sub humans that I take exception with. Should I assume very kid that got in a fight in school is a savage?

Yes, my mistake, I meant to say healthcare. I have paid premiums for my healthcare for many many years, and I'm not going to waste my time responding to what you think you contribute to my plan.
    Premiums which do not cover the cost of the plan. The city contributes to both your pension and helathcare and those contributions come from the taxes I and many others pay. The city has $4.3 Billion in Healthcare obligations. Do you think that has been covered by retirees and active workers? If so, please do not ever consider a career in anything to do with finance. I pay a premium of about $100/month for my healthcare. My company pays about $700. I would be an ignorant ingrate if I stated that my company does not heavily subsidize my healthcare. I guess in retiree never, neverland the money tree just contributes to pension shortfalls and retiree healthcare.

Feel free to dismiss any of the above as I did get in a few fights in high school so I must be a sub human savage animal. But then again, you did use a comparison of people shooting at firefighters as a comparison to kids getting in a fight in HS. Certainly they are equivalent crimes.

i'm tired of people on this forum calling black people animals.

stop name calling , stop trying to make them not people. they are people. we're all here on the same planet we have to get along with each other.

Color is one thing but generalizing kids [[which HS kids are kids) as animals because of a fight is a little ridiculous.

Calling anyone an animal based upon a one minute clip of a fist fight is absurd.

I still think this state would be better off is Bolger was no longer around. But, you read it as me threatening him which clearly was not the case. We can shelf the semantics on this issue.

I agree, I would like the voters to vote him out of office the next election. Your statement above is cleaned up pretty well compared to saying someone should shoot him in the face. Do you deny your post was taken off this forum?

And those experiences give you the right to make assumptions about a lot of other people, even kids that were fighting in school [[like tons of other kids do). It is more your quick, flippant dismissal as a lot of people as savages and sub humans that I take exception with. Should I assume very kid that got in a fight in school is a savage.

It's not just my experiences that caused me to feel that these kids are animals or savages. The ones I am speaking of are the kids who have no respect for their parents, their teachers, law enforcement, their peers, or life. They are out to maim others, to cause great bodily harm to anyone. Black or white, green or yellow, it wouldn't matter, I would feel the same and say the same.

Premiums which do not cover the cost of the plan. The city contributes to both your pension and helathcare and those contributions come from the taxes I and many others pay. The city has $4.3 Billion in Healthcare obligations. Do you think that has been covered by retirees and active workers? If so, please do not ever consider a career in anything to do with finance. I pay a premium of about $100/month for my healthcare. My company pays about $700. I would be an ignorant ingrate if I stated that my company does not heavily subsidize my healthcare. I guess in retiree never, neverland the money tree just contributes to pension shortfalls and retiree healthcare.

Unlike private industry, We took less money for benefits while working for the city.

Feel free to dismiss any of the above as I did get in a few fights in high school so I must be a sub human savage animal. But then again, you did use a comparison of people shooting at firefighters as a comparison to kids getting in a fight in HS. Certainly they are equivalent crimes.
    This is going nowhere. No need to continue your hard on for me jt, your not my type.

Get to the heart of the matter.Investigate why the fight happened.Find out why the fight happened and who started it.

Then re-instate the teacher.

/I haven't seen the video and am going on only what was read on this forum.
    //I'm on an old computer...video not working.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast