Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Another downside to feeding geese is that they lose any fear of humans they may have. Geese who are used to being fed by a certain bench have been known to attack people who sit there who don't feed them, and they can do serious damage

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Feeding them can cause nutritional displacement....
    Thank you for your sincere answer to a sincere question.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Humans mess with nature too much.
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thank you for your sincere answer to a sincere question.

I couldn't agree more.
    Can we just get back to the race baiting please?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    There are ways to determine if a LEO is representative of the community they are policing,
    Why does it always have to come down to star signs?

I don't care if your LEO, SCORPIO or VIRGO - can't we all just get along?

~ Libra

Default Feeding geese can cause Ange Wing bone displacement

The Canada goose pictured above at a local park is afflicted by Angel Wing, which causes the ends of its wings to poke out at an odd [[and useless for flying) angle. You may see birds like this in local parks where they're fed by us humans, and one theory is that the disease is caused by that artificial diet, that causes the wrist joints to develop poorly in the young birds. A competing theory is that it is a genetic disease, though in one Swedish experiment, putting an end to feeding resulted in no Angel wing in the next year's offspring which seems quite compelling. Wikipedia tells all, but either way now you know what you're looking at when you see them in the park.

http://www.uknatureblog.com/2010/08/angel-wing.html

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post

The Canada goose pictured above at a local park is afflicted by Angel Wing, which causes the ends of its wings to poke out at an odd [[and useless for flying) angle. You may see birds like this in local parks where they're fed by us humans, and one theory is that the disease is caused by that artificial diet, that causes the wrist joints to develop poorly in the young birds. A competing theory is that it is a genetic disease, though in one Swedish experiment, putting an end to feeding resulted in no Angel wing in the next year's offspring which seems quite compelling. Wikipedia tells all, but either way now you know what you're looking at when you see them in the park.

http://www.uknatureblog.com/2010/08/angel-wing.html

I'm not familiar with "Angel Wing" among Canada Geese, but that's similar to how they look if they have a healed broken wing as well [[Although one wing broken would be much more common). Many injured animals end up in parks and other areas close to humans because they are unable to fly or acquire food normally.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-03-14 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I'm not familiar with "Angel Wing" among Canada Geese, but that's similar to how they look if they have a healed broken wing as well [[Although one wing broken would be much more common). Many injured animals end up in parks and other areas close to humans because they are unable to fly or acquire food normally.
    Please feel free to post your Wikipedia link proof for this. I'm very familiar with birds with broken wings and they look nothing like the photo above.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Personally,I hate geese but do understand the compulsion to feed them.It is interesting to watch their behaviors. Interesting that police activity is so up now too.
    They're superb, properly stuffed & roasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarite View Post
    I don't think so. My friend was sitting in the van and one of the officers asked her where we lived. When she said Harper Woods he asked where that was. I know Harper Woods is a pretty small city so is not well known but most locals are at least familiar with the name.
    Sounds like the officer wants to know the community. That's the first step in becoming a member of the community. Great to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Please feel free to post your Wikipedia link proof for this. I'm very familiar with birds with broken wings and they look nothing like the photo above.
    You really want a Wikipedia page for "proof"?

I'm an avid waterfowl hunter and have literally shot hundreds of Canada Geese in my lifetime,so I don't need Wikipedia to tell me this. I've actually broken the darn wings myself enough times to know that they can look very similar to the pics above.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-03-14 at 10:39 AM.

You really want a Wikipedia page for "proof"?

I'm an avid waterfowl hunter and have literally shot hundreds of Canada Geese in my lifetime,so I don't need Wikipedia to tell me this. I've actually broken the darn wings myself enough times to know that they can look very similar to the pics above.
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Either broken wings, or flight feathers, [[two different things) even after being permeated with buckshot, don't look anything like the photo gazhekwe posted. And Wikipedia isn't the only source for this waterfowl affliction. I take it you think Wikipedia is a fiction site?

Look, I wasn't suggesting that the pics posted are of a bird with broken wings and not a developmental deformity, just that many geese that appear that way are not necessarily deformed from a lack of nutrition. Anyhow, I guess I'll just disregard what I have actually witnessed and held in my hands and only believe what I read online. I won't be commenting any further one this one.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-03-14 at 12:09 PM.

This subject is not up for debate. Feeding geese is prohibited and the laws are there for a reason. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    anyone remember the rock stacking?
    You mean these?

Name:  IMG_0291.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  56.1 KB

You mean these?

Of course I do. Know who does them too, as do many on the board. I love them and have several personal photos. Pretty sure there is an archived thread about. Pretty typical stuff, half for half against.
    Last edited by sumas; May-03-14 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    They're superb, properly stuffed & roasted.
    Don't know about that, my dad liked to hunt pheasant and ducks. I remember my Dad bringing home duck, guessing I was about 8 yrs, my Mom dressed it cooked it. Duck must have had fish for lunch. The stench from the oven was horrible, my mom threw it out. My Dad never went hunting ducks again.

You mean these?

I remember, that was a good year.

Ducks and Geese are best cooked in a slow smoker. They tend to be very tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I remember, that was a good year.
    I am going to send you a private message. Really surprised that gannon hasn't been on this thread

Look, I wasn't suggesting that the pics posted are of a bird with broken wings and not a developmental deformity, just that many geese that appear that way are not necessarily deformed from a lack of nutrition. Anyhow, I guess I'll just disregard what I have actually witnessed and held in my hands and only believe what I read online. I won't be commenting any further one this one.
    I live on a canal in Saint Clair Shores with a park at the end of the street. I'm down there daily watching swans, geese and ducks and have seen a few geese with broken wings [[on one side or the other). They look just like the pictures above, like the wing is loosely hanging off their bodies. You are totally correct.
    Last edited by wvernon; May-03-14 at 07:53 PM.

My grandfather always hunted ducks up in the St Clair Flats. It was always a big occasion when he came home. Even as a small boy, I would get a whole little teal just for me. it was pretty good, tough, but good.

Attachment 23391

And for those hipsters who say the only enjoyment in the Detroit area is in bars and nightclubs...........
    Last edited by Hermod; May-03-14 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wvernon View Post
    ... I ... have seen a few geese with broken wings [[on one side or the other). They look just like the pictures above, like the wing is loosely hanging off their bodies. You are totally correct.
    But both sides? That may be remotely possible but not probable. I think it's unlikely that that's a photo of a bird with wings broken symmetrically from something other than a developmental disease.

Why would anyone think wild birds need to be feed? It's like giving street people money.

You are right, its not symmetrically broken wings.

As if anyone actually cared about the birds:

"Angel wing is a wing deformity, also known as slipped wing, commonly found in ducks and geese where the last joint of the wing is twisted outward. The leading cause of Angel wing is high concentrations of protein in the diets of growing waterfowl. The highest incidences of Angel wing in waterfowl occur at parks where the public is allowed to feed ducks and geese items like bread, which are high in protein and are not a proper diet for these animals. These sources of high energy, unlimited feed, make young waterfowl grow unnaturally fast and their wing weight outgrows the strength of the wing to support it, which causes the twisting."

Source: MSU Kellogg Biological Station, http://www.kbs.msu.edu/visit/birdsan...owl-angel-wing

So apparently the [[possibly) non-representative LEO was acting in the best interest of Belle Isle and the wildlife and enforcing validly enacted laws/ords and doing his/her job. Even if the Harper Woods residents were ignorantly [[but well intentioned, I am sure) wreaking havoc on the Belle Isle ecosystem. And these eco-terrorists got off with just a warning.

Now lets make this more about the race of the DNR/State Trooper and see what kind of crap we can rehash on the old race stereotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    And for those hipsters who say the only enjoyment in the Detroit area is in bars and nightclubs...........
    That helps reconcile a discussion on the radio the other day, where a DNR official was talking about both "birding" and "fishing" as examples of things we can do more of if the entire river was made into a sanctuary.

I was perplexed for a while how such similar terms could define such oddly different acts. I caught myself wondering what would happen if birders acted like fisherfolk, running around with bow&arrows...whacking the feathered beings for dinner...or even just yanking them in for a better look before setting 'em free again.

It was just odd to hear the terms used almost interchangeably when talking about such significantly different actions.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast