Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It's a STATE park now, and the community includes state citizens and all people who pay the admission fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarite View Post
    the sign right behind my van that said "No Parking" and they said that there is a sign as you come on the Island to that effect.
    dang margarite, were you too busy riding dirty to read those two signs?

detroiters dont care about their park. they park in the park! wherever they want to!

this! this is the reason i wont visit belle isle. people feeding geese and parking anywhere they want to.

but seriously, park rangers are treating parks more like adult day care.
    cant swim without a lifeguard. cant walk on a horse trail. cant feed the birds. cant play frisbee.
    i bet you cant even stack rocks anymore!

anyone remember the rock stacking?
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...tacker-is-back
    Last edited by compn; May-02-14 at 03:21 PM.

Besides “don’t feed them!” signs, what measures is the state empowered to use to curb the presence of geese?

I ain't ne'er been busted on no Belle-Isle before.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    how pathetic adding "racism" to someone that was feeding geese.
    Cliffy, you just brought sanity to a thread that was spinning circles in the past, kudos

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    It's a STATE park now, and the community includes state citizens and all people who pay the admission fee.
    That's gonna be a tough one to accurately be "Representative" of all Belle Isle demographics.. how will they distinguish a yoouper dude from a guy from say Hazeltucky or an old lady from Hamtramick or from....[[fill in the blank). Of course the LEO [[DetNerd technical term) can always call for back up when the geese feeding gets out of control. This is way to serious for a friday!
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; May-02-14 at 04:56 PM.

I hope Gannon is okay. It's unbelievable he has not posted on this Belle Isle thread. Then again, it is only a few hours old...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Margritte: Were the officers representative of the community they are policing?
    That's strange, all the years I lived out in Milford and wandered around Proud Lake Recreation Area I never questioned why the DNR assigned a black officer to an area that was 99.5% white?

I think it's important to remember that the DNR just recently took over Belle Isle. Many [[If not all) of the officers patrolling the park have been temporarily brought from other parts of the state, so that fact that they are not familiar with Detroit should not come as much of a surprise.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-02-14 at 03:54 PM.

no ones asked if the bread was represenative of the region [[made in detroit area by a local bakery)? hal-al or kosher? gluten free? non-gmo organic free range hand-ground oats/rye??

or what about the geese? are they naturalized or are they illegal immigrants?
    was margarite driving a made in detroit vehicle? what about the police vehicle? better not be any toyotas involved.

inquiring minds want to know.

To me, the takeaway of the original story is that enforcement of rules is continuing to be strong AND Margarite had an overall pleasant [[or at least okay) experience with a law enforcement officer. I prefer to let it stand there.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    To me, the takeaway of the original story is that enforcement of rules is continuing to be strong AND Margarite had an overall pleasant [[or at least okay) experience with a law enforcement officer. I prefer to let it stand there.
    I am with you on that. They were polite gave an explanation.Geese really are dirty critters. ducks not much better and swans are evil. It is hilarious though they didn't know Harper Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    You can pretend that you were not being racist, but you were. You were asking if the cops were black, not what zip code they lived in.
    Again, you're putting words in my mouth. And even if I did ask what race they were, it wouldn't be racist. You obviously have no idea what racism is. That would mean that every EO officer in the country is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarite View Post
    I joined the ranks of the law breaking council people and mayor yesterday.

I was happily feeding the geese off the main road when the Park Police pulled up behind my van with their lights flashing. They politely pointed out the sign right behind my van that said "No Parking" and advised me that it was against city ordinance to feed the geese. I honestly had no idea that there was an ordinance and they said that there is a sign as you come on the Island to that effect. They took the time to explain why I shouldn't feed the geese and let me off with a warning.
    You're lucky they didn't write you a ticket, Margarite, I hear geese feeding fines could run you some serious bread.

I'm getting really confused here.

Again, you're putting words in my mouth. And even if I did ask what race they were, it wouldn't be racist. You obviously have no idea what racism is. That would mean that every EO officer in the country is racist.
    You blab way too much for someone that allegedly has a job. Curious that you only post during working hours, too.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    You blab way too much for someone that allegedly has a job. Curious that you only post during working hours, too.
    I can't help it that genius just comes pouring out of me. Though I am touched that you watch my posts so carefully you know my schedule. I can only conclude some of you guys must really have boners for me.

Yup, and the racists from when I was growing up were just commenting about the darkness in the area because they thought the sun was setting in the middle of the day, it has nothing to do with seeing black people in Clawson ;-)

I put no words in your mouth, you typed what you typed, now own it. You're very good at deflecting and subject changing.

I don't give two damns what color skin those cops had, and I have no idea how it's relevant to the conversation.

Bringing up race when it's not relevant is generally deemed to be racist, especially when you try to veil it cutely by asking if the folks are "representative" of the local population.

I can't help it that genius just comes pouring out of me. Though I am touched that you watch my posts so carefully you know my schedule. I can only conclude some of you guys must really have boners for me.
    Genius is another word for bullshit?

Yeah, you be touched, all right.

Who is representative? I don't know. I'll let you guys decide.

Meet some of the Belle Isle CO's...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9sS_nDp5xE

What color were the geese?

Hopefully as this transition occurs, it will just be warnings. But please...obey the rules. I think 90% of the folks out there know that it's a violation of ordinances in nearly every city in America to feed wild animals. I had to complain to the cop in our building that this woman was feeding the pigeons outside our building and they were crapping everywhere nearby. Just don't do it. And obey parking signs.

I get that not everyone wants to play by these nitpick rules, but you've asked for a functioning city, so try and be a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    What color were the geese?
    That is funny. Not sure why everyone keeps trying to make things into a race issue. I am with MLK, it is the content of the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Who is representative? I don't know. I'll let you guys decide.

Meet some of the Belle Isle CO's...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9sS_nDp5xE
    Thanks CorkTown, very relevant to the discussion.

So why shouldn't we feed the geese? Is it because of the problem of E. coli contaminating swimming areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    So why shouldn't we feed the geese? Is it because of the problem of E. coli contaminating swimming areas?
    Feeding them can cause nutritional displacement. Unless you are feeding them something specially formulated, which is safe assume 99% of people aren't, you are basically disrupting their feeding habits. While feeding them human food like breads, crackers, or certain seeds won't hurt them, the chemical substances found in a lot of our foods compound worse in animal diets. Geese should generally be eating grasses and limiting grains and seeds to what they can find on their own.

Feeding them also causes them to congregate around public spaces intended for humans, leaving pavement a mess. It's best they not rely on humans and they'll stay in peripheral areas away from traffic.

Generally, feeding wild animals is considered a public nuisance. But if certain animals are protected, it could result in more serious fines.

Humans mess with nature too much. It's better to sit on a bench and observe. I think the original poster was well intentioned without knowing these actions are actually disruptive

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast