Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Detroit NEZ Tax Abatement

Hi all,
    As you may have read in my intro post, I own my home in the New Center area. I am looking to sell it, to move into a newer condo. Many of the condos I've been looking at have been built in the early 2000s. The taxes on these condos are affordable, for now. I am scared that in a few years, when the 12 year NEZ tax abatement for these properties end, I would no longer be able to afford them. Is there anything one could do to battle the higher taxes?

For example. I found a nice two bedroom condo, built in the late 90s. The taxes were once around $1100/year. Now they are close to $6000/year! That's $500/month + association dues! At that rate, I could rent an apartment, and have the flexibility to move whenever I pleased.

Has anyone had experience lowering their taxes? I feel that $1100/year for a small condo is fair, considering I pay LESS in taxes for my larger home.

Some other places I've looked at are newer built condos. They also are approved for the NEZ tax abatement. Yet, the property taxes are still high. What gives? Are they high because the builder still owns these condos? I might've read somewhere that the NEZ tax abatement only goes to the buyer who makes this their homestead. Or is it high because the city subsidizes the tax, and shows the full portion [[I'm looking at the bsasoftware site).

Also, I looked into my tax bill, and I noticed a $300 Solid Waste Fee. Is this simply for trash service? Has anyone NOT taken this service?

-Tahleel
    Last edited by tahleel; July-24-09 at 10:55 PM.