Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default It's time for the middle to fight back against extremists.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    OOoo-wee! It's going to be a bumpy summer! Wait the the blue state boys start to sweep the teen and other gatherers at the 'strip' where they congregate and show off their cars enmass! They'll have fun blowing their horns, pulling over folks, and stopping folks checking paperwork on that.
    Times they are a changing.

Coalition Against Police Brutality gets called out after blaming the police chief for encouraging people defend themselves by force in a home invasion.

Overtly racist billionaire gets called out, banned, and will be forced to sell his property. [[No one's crying any tears for the billionaire, but we don't have to go back too far in history to find a time where his behavior was tolerated or even embraced.)

It pains me to see that we still have so many people living in a totally deluded world where you are blaming homeowners for defending themselves in a home invasion. Or where a billionaire gets to pretend he's a plantation owner and make money in the process.

Regardless, the forces of change are upon us, and both extremes are being confronted with the reality that their worldview is dying an inevitable death.

I don't have a problem with anyone -- anyone -- who wants to come on Belle Isle, drive below the speed limit, drive sober, and make the island friendly for families. "Families" is not code for white people. It means open drug use, urination in public, playing loud music [[without permit), and other such shenanigans are now off the table.

Last weekend I went for a bike ride and found myself parked next to a van with 3 people inside complaining about how they felt like police were trying to get rid of black people from the island. [[The 3 of them were also black). I couldn't help but note the irony that police were leaving them alone because they weren't playing loud music, driving drunk, or speeding.

People are going to have to change. I read somewhere that the Mayor has gotten 6 speeding tickets in the last 6 years. That'll end soon, or he'll get his license suspended. People are going to have stop breaking into homes, or they will get shot. Friday Night Freaknik will have to find a new venue.

OMG, what is Belle Isle without loud cruisers, unsafe speeders, and drunk drivers??? A nicer, better park.

Addition by subtraction baby. Better get on the train, otherwise you'll get left behind...white or black.

With all due respect, the imprisoned deer are NOT the original Japanese deer that were given to the COD as a gift. Lord only knows what Mr. Kilpatrick did with the original deer and Aquarium fish.
    I know nothing of any Japanese deer which may have existed, but the deer that were on the island from the 60's on were European Fallow deer, and their descendants are at the Nature Center.
    Last edited by mwilbert; April-30-14 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I know nothing of any Japanese deer which may have existed, but the deer that were on the island from the 60's on were European Fallow deer, and their descendants are at the Nature Center.
    You're right. I can't find anything on my "Japanese Deer" story. Another childhood myth exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    i left Detroit, my hometown, back in the early 90's after living there for 50 years. My home was paid for, taxes were up to date, no outstanding debts, I was free and clear. I sold my home, which was in pristine condition, to a very nice working woman, for a very modest price. What happened within a year is unbelievable. Trash, broken windows, grass turned to mud, cars on the lawn, even a beautiful maple tree destroyed in front.....was that my fault?
    cla1945...Rinse and repeat this story times hundreds if not thousands and you have urban prairie throughout the city. Its amazing what a few hammers, nails and buckets of paint will do when put to good use.

One time back in the late 70s, my late father [[1913-1993) was invited to some kind of reception by a firm with offices in the RenCen. My father grew up on the east side of Detroit and while he had driven in Detroit quite a bit, he had always had the ground view look. From high up in the RenCen, he looked out over the east side where he had spent his youth and said with all of the demolitions, many blocks looked like 1945 in Europe. It mad a big impression on him.

from the Free Press today: "Hamtramck residents Amanda Thomas and Clifford McDonough said they feel safer and enjoy Belle Isle more since it became a state park.
    “We’ve been coming here all of our lives,” McDonough, 33, said. “We love the park now. I like that there are more police. I’ve seen more police within the past few weeks than I have in the last 30 years. It should have been a state park years ago.”
    Thomas, 39, said the island is much quieter now since the state took over. She said despite the amount of tickets she’s heard that have been given out, she hasn’t had any issues with policing on the island.
    She said she hopes that the state will continue to put effort in keeping the island clean as the summer months approach."

That 20 mph limit might not hold up in court, since it is likely not based on a speed study and documented with a traffic control order, and it is lower than the prima facie state limit for parks [[http://goo.gl/LyVDlD).

Still, Janice Winfrey and Brenda Jones are nitwits.

Regarding Duggan - I was told by someone in his office, shortly after he was stopped, that Duggan decided to make a drive around the island one morning after the state took over, to see if anything had changed. He was going 5 or 10 over, was stopped, and the guy who stopped him didn't realize he was the mayor. He was told to slow down and sent on his way.

City Council is a disgrace. They should be role model citizens right? Lead by example? Instead they are shining examples of how not to be.

Janice Winfrey was saying to Council yesterday how "intimidated" she felt to be stopped for speeding on the Island and back at her real work, her employee was falsifying documents to show that Conyers' petition circulators had registered to vote in Detroit in December - when they just registered yesterday! Winfrey should feel intimidated.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Call me a downer but I don't really find it professional for the DNR officers to add their little humorous comments. It shows a complete lack of respect and professionalism.
    jt, I don't think you're a 'downer', but you might be called hypercritical.

I do see how it is possible to be critical of the end of the statement, but its hardly 'complete lack of respect and professionalism'. I've seen that. This is at most a little tongue-in-cheek. The statement was true. The statement reflects what the occupants of the car said they were doing. The officer needed to state that the birthday girl was free to go. It could have been left at that. But frankly no harm really done.

Me, I'm happy enough that two people were arrested on outstanding warrants. I don't feel need to be critical for such a small issue.

So when does the formalized annual fee get inaugurated? Even now you still have various folks asking "do you have to pay?" regarding the island. I was at an event on the island last week that went off without a hitch. I'm just curious for whenever the annual pass does kick in, will there be "day passes" available for group purchase?
    Last edited by Hypestyles; April-30-14 at 01:36 PM.

Just realized there will be no beer allowed on the island for hydroplane races. That's a bummer. Have no fear though....they'll sell you a 16 ouncer at the Grand Prix for $10 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    So when does the formalized annual fee get inaugurated? Even now you still have various folks asking "do you have to pay?" regarding the island. I was at an event on the island last week that went off without a hitch. I'm just curious for whenever the annual pass does kick in, will there be "day passes" available for group purchase?
    From the DNR Website...

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...5---,00.html#1

Will I need a Recreation Passport to access Belle Isle Park?

• Vehicle access
      A Recreation Passport is required when accessing the island by vehicle.
    • Pedestrian access
      The Passport applies only to vehicles - not individuals. Pedestrians, bicyclists and those using public transportation can enter the park for free and will not need the Passport.
    • Bus transportation
      The Department of Natural Resources is working with the city of Detroit to re-establish a public bus route to the island. Although the bus will need a Recreation Passport for entry, those riding the bus will not.
    • Access now through January 2015
      The Recreation Passport is directly tied to your Michigan vehicle license plate registration renewal. Throughout Belle Isle's first year of the Recreation Passport requirement, a vehicle can access the island without a Recreation Passport until the owner's next registration renewal date. For example, if a vehicle license plate registration renewal date is August 2014, then the Passport is not needed on that vehicle until August. Likewise, if the renewal date is December 2014, then the Passport is not needed until December. Once a full year has cycled [[February 2015), all vehicles entering the park must have a Recreation Passport.

For group events...

I'm attending an event on the island. Do I need a Recreation Passport?

It depends on when the event was booked. If you made the event reservation on or prior to December 17, 2013, event organizers will be given Recreation Passport vouchers for themselves and their guests. A DNR staff member will be contacting all event hosts shortly to provide information on Recreation Passport vouchers.
    For events booked after December 17, 2013, event organizers and their guests will need to purchase Recreation Passports for island entry.

For all other information... www.BelleIslePark.org

I renewed my plates and what not this week. There's a little letter R for all who pay the extra fee on the plate Tag. It was affordable. But it's hard to see the letter. But is you pay for the recreation pass the word "Recreation" is also on your registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I renewed my plates and what not. There's a little letter R for all who pay the extra fee on the plate Tag. It was affordable. But it's hard to see the letter. But is you pay for the recreation pass the word "Recreation" is also on your registration.
    You're right..... It's a little "P".

Keeping the riffraff out & setting some behavior standards for a safe park.....2 words; common sense.

Having public bus service to the island will be a wonderful thing but I have
    this feeling that it should be a double decker bus - half for bicycle and
    stroller storage, half for passenger seats.
    I am sure that many African American visitors to Belle Isle are feeling the
    demographic shift. Non-African Americans mostly have very different mannerisms and some of us are even hostile. So, please, though it is
    impossible to understand and adopt all of the African American manners,
    it IS possible to be courteous to them as well as the rest of the Michigan
    public while you are visiting Belle Isle, so that everyone may enjoy their
    picnics and family reunions on this beautiful Michigan island.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    That 20 mph limit might not hold up in court, since it is likely not based on a speed study and documented with a traffic control order, and it is lower than the prima facie state limit for parks [[http://goo.gl/LyVDlD).

MCL 257.629[[3) say park speed limits cant be set lower than 15.

Default Duggan on Video Recounting the Time He Got Pulled Over on Belle Isle

Pretty funny....

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...e-traffic-stop

When Mayor Duggan was pulled over on Belle Isle, the officer noticed his city-owned car and asked, "What do you do for the city?"

Sounds like it might be worth checking out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    I am sure that many African American visitors to Belle Isle are feeling the
    demographic shift. Non-African Americans mostly have very different mannerisms and some of us are even hostile. So, please, though it is
    impossible to understand and adopt all of the African American manners,
    it IS possible to be courteous to them as well as the rest of the Michigan
    public while you are visiting Belle Isle, so that everyone may enjoy their
    picnics and family reunions on this beautiful Michigan island.
    Dumpling? I'm a little slow on the uptake..could you please explain what the heck you mean by your post, I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, have your tongue and cheek, or your British??? Please help me understand.

This will be an interesting summer on Belle Isle. I will bet island traffic will be cut almost in half this year or our county lock up will be bloated beyond capacity. Maybe many people don't realize that a large percentage of Detroiters have minor warrants out for their arrest for small infractions such as driving on suspended. If the MSP keeps up there policy of locking up everyone who gets pulled over and has a warrant there will be some eventual blow-back from the county jail as they just dont have the resources to handle that many offenders.
    If anyone remembers about six years ago they had an amnesty day for people with warrants at that huge church just SE of 75 and McNichols, they said there were over 10,000 people trying to take care of there business but could only handle a fraction. People were lined up around several blocks. To say the least the church was overwhelmed [[and yes I was there and later got my problem cleared up at the 36th). That whole situation at the church gives a clue as to how many regular Detroiters are "driving dirty" as they say. Detroit police just dont have the resources to handle everyone they pull over who has a minor warrant.
    Just sayin, it should be an interesting summer on BI.

I just hope the Staties leave Hippie Beach alone.

I am indeed of English extraction though my ancestors have lived in Michigan
    for many generations now. They were here before the founding of the
    national Republican party in Jackson, Michigan. I am absolutely not being
    sarcastic. For many African Americans, whites [[diverse as they are) are
    somewhat scary and incomprehensible. We do not belong in their culture
    unless we have taken measures to belong, for example attending their churches or being married to one. Most whites don't go to this trouble nor need they go to this trouble. Even so it would be good if they were courteous to African Americans [[as well as anyone else!) a little kindness
    will go a long way. For example a smile at a baby or holding a door or
    asking if the person is in line and not cutting ahead of them if they are.
    They use Ma'am and Sir way more often than the rest of us, Southerners
    excepted.

So running from problems absolves people? Someone can completely crap on the city but if they move out they didn't cause the problems? The only problems the city faces are those brought about by the current residents?

People that made decisions that impacted the city in the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc but left no longer are responsible for any of the issues in the city?

Man, people here are really dense.
    If you blame people that are not at the crime scene for the crime, I suppose you are dense.

So all of the current issues in Detroit are only caused by the current residents? Is it really that simplistic. Perhaps I over complicate things but I find it hard to believe that all that ails the city is a direct result of the 700,000 residents and nothing else.
    May I fix your post? OK, I will. Yes, all the current crime in Detroit is caused by the current residents. Yes it is that simple! Perhaps you do over complicate things. With the crime rate being what it is, who but a total fool would want to invest money in Detroit when they could invest that same money in much safer areas?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast