Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

this article has the wrong title. also everyone here complaining about the brenda jones and janice winfrey?

what? not gonna talk about detroit mayor mike duggan caught speeding on the island? what? only complain about black people speeding? damn racists. how come the mayor cant follow speed limits? is he riding dirty? are his windows tinted illegally?

Duggan spokesman John Roach said in an e-mail that the mayor was indeed pulled over on the island.

"do you know who the fuck i am?"

Anyone speeding or disobeying any laws on Belle Isle should be stopped, pulled over, arrested, taken to jail, fined, etc. white, black, red or yellow. If the State Police are finally doing the job of enforcing laws on the island, good for them. Maybe now people will be able to enjoy the island instead of fearing it.

Did the Mayor complain like Winfrey did? Do you know if he said the infamous DYKWTFIAm? Or possibly he was recognized [[because he is a well-known figure). He has acknowledged that he speeds [[unlike Benny, Duggan drove himself during the Mayoral campaign and he drove his own car). I think he probably accepted the warning and went on. And, of course, he likely doesn't have any outstanding warrants.
    Dragging the Mayor into this discussion doesn't prove your point- except it does prove that the policing is color-blind.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Did the Mayor complain like Winfrey did?
    Do you know if he said the infamous DYKWTFIAm? Or possibly he was recognized [[because he is a well-known figure). He has acknowledged that he speeds [[unlike Benny, Duggan drove himself during the Mayoral campaign and he drove his own car). I think he probably accepted the warning and went on. And, of course, he likely doesn't have any outstanding warrants.
    Dragging the Mayor into this discussion doesn't prove your point- except it does prove that the policing is color-blind.
    Like Hank the Deuce said...

Never complain, never explain.

I never thought I'd write these words, but: I agree with Poobert entirely. She was being a crybaby. If she was speeding I am happy she got pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    "The issue came up when city Clerk Janice Winfrey told the council about recently getting pulled over by state police at the island for speeding. Winfrey"

Okay, well, Ms. Winfrey, were you speeding?

I don't get it. People complain about the absolutely insane out-of-control crime in the city, and then when somebody does something about it - such as, say, enforcing the law - it is "disgraceful"?

I was raised to believe that it is disgraceful to break the law and endanger public safety, not the other way around.

This is absolutely a cultural issue. When the highest echelons of power are enforcing a disregard for law and order, what kind of example does that set for the rest of the citizens?

Don't want to get a ticket or don't want to go to jail? Don't break the fucking law. Speeding isn't a civil right.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014042...cil-Belle-Isle

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Anyone speeding or disobeying any laws on Belle Isle should be stopped, pulled over, arrested, taken to jail, fined, etc. white, black, red or yellow. If the State Police are finally doing the job of enforcing laws on the island, good for them. Maybe now people will be able to enjoy the island instead of fearing it.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Call me a downer but I don't really find it professional for the DNR officers to add their little humorous comments. It shows a complete lack of respect and professionalism.
    From my perspective, there's nothing to be respectful or professional about. Look at the activity. Look at the council's response. It's a circus. Have fun with it.

That may be the case but the humorous commentary, regardless of who at the DNR wrote it, is unnecessary and unprofessional.
    With some jobs, if you can't have a sense of humor you will go crazy.

“It’s a disgrace,” Jones said at today’s council meeting. “I will be calling the state myself.”

Watch out, we got a badass over here.

Seriously, why? So they can put her on speakerphone and laugh? This is the President of a Council that has no power because of its inability to govern. I can assure you Brenda Jones can run her fat mouth all she wants and zero fucks will be given. Delusions of grandeur.

Have the Prince of Sealand call while you're at it. He has just as much real life authority.

Lots of times I reply with quotes.this is just me talking. Detroit still has amazing people. I think elections get jacked. Weird, we manage to get by ignoring city hall.

“It’s a disgrace,” Jones said at today’s council meeting. “I will be calling the state myself.”

Watch out, we got a badass over here.

Seriously, why? So they can put her on speakerphone and laugh? This is the President of a Council that has no power because of its inability to govern. I can assure you Brenda Jones can run her fat mouth all she wants and zero fucks will be given. Delusions of grandeur.

Have the Prince of Sealand call while you're at it. He has just as much real life authority.
    I don't think Brenda Jones is the type of person I'd want to have authority over anything. Don't even give her trash duty.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    this article has the wrong title. also everyone here complaining about the brenda jones and janice winfrey?

what? not gonna talk about detroit mayor mike duggan caught speeding on the island? what? only complain about black people speeding? damn racists. how come the mayor cant follow speed limits? is he riding dirty? are his windows tinted illegally?

Duggan spokesman John Roach said in an e-mail that the mayor was indeed pulled over on the island.

"do you know who the fuck i am?"
    I can't speak for anyone else on this board, but my displeasure at Winfrey [[and by proxy, Brenda Jones) wasn't that she was caught speeding. It was that they were complaining about being punished for it.

Am I happy that Duggan was working a leadfoot and going above the speed limit? No, of course not. But I am glad he was pulled over for it. And I'm glad he's not complaining about it. No one is above the law. Not even the Mayor.

In other news, I actually called Council President Jones's office this morning to register my views. I said that in no uncertain terms that I'm glad to see that MSP and DNR are strictly enforcing the speed limit.

To her credit, Brenda Jones's staffer was very receptive, noted my views, took down my name, and shared with me that they've been getting calls from people who are taking both sides of the issue. For the most part, everyone agrees that someone doing 35 should get a ticket, but opinion is split about whether or not someone doing 21 mph should get pulled over.

I told her that if I knew that they're pulling people over for doing 21, then I won't drive more than 18 mph, and she said she has no beef with that position.

I encourage you to call her office and express your thoughts, especially if you are a Detroit resident.

[[313) 224-1245 [[office)
    [[313) 224-4950 [[fax)
    TTY 711 or [[800) 649-3777
    E-mail: bjones_mb@detroitmi.gov

Contact Person:
    Stephen Grady, Chief of Staff
    313 224-7977
    GradyS@detroitmi.gov

Rather than complain about getting pulled over for speeding, maybe the councilwoman shouldn't have gotten defensive and maybe instead pose the question on whether or not the speed limited could be raised to 25. A limit that most people are used to obeying.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else on this board, but my displeasure at Winfrey [[and by proxy, Brenda Jones) wasn't that she was caught speeding. It was that they were complaining about being punished for it.

Am I happy that Duggan was working a leadfoot and going above the speed limit? No, of course not. But I am glad he was pulled over for it. And I'm glad he's not complaining about it. No one is above the law. Not even the Mayor.

In other news, I actually called Council President Jones's office this morning to register my views. I said that in no uncertain terms that I'm glad to see that MSP and DNR are strictly enforcing the speed limit.

To her credit, Brenda Jones's staffer was very receptive, noted my views, took down my name, and shared with me that they've been getting calls from people who are taking both sides of the issue. For the most part, everyone agrees that someone doing 35 should get a ticket, but opinion is split about whether or not someone doing 21 mph should get pulled over.

I told her that if I knew that they're pulling people over for doing 21, then I won't drive more than 18 mph, and she said she has no beef with that position.

I encourage you to call her office and express your thoughts, especially if you are a Detroit resident.

[[313) 224-1245 [[office)
    [[313) 224-4950 [[fax)
    TTY 711 or [[800) 649-3777
    E-mail: bjones_mb@detroitmi.gov

Contact Person:
    Stephen Grady, Chief of Staff
    313 224-7977
    GradyS@detroitmi.gov
    Well as it turns out, you rock.

Don't go fast or the geese will screw up your car. Used to be the deer but they killed those off.

When you have city officials complaining because the law is enforced in a certain area you're only giving more ammunition to those throwing stones from afar. Of course the police should arrest people if they're doing something wrong. How in the world could you argue otherwise?

"The issue came up when city Clerk Janice Winfrey told the council about recently getting pulled over by state police at the island for speeding. Winfrey"

Okay, well, Ms. Winfrey, were you speeding?

I don't get it. People complain about the absolutely insane out-of-control crime in the city, and then when somebody does something about it - such as, say, enforcing the law - it is "disgraceful"?

I was raised to believe that it is disgraceful to break the law and endanger public safety, not the other way around.

This is absolutely a cultural issue. When the highest echelons of power are enforcing a disregard for law and order, what kind of example does that set for the rest of the citizens?

Don't want to get a ticket or don't want to go to jail? Don't break the fucking law. Speeding isn't a civil right.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014042...cil-Belle-Isle

I also do not always agree with pooberts posts. If we had an awards ceremony, this post in my opinion would be my vote for the best one ever written. Perfect. When's the common sense parade because poobert has to be king now.

It will be real hard for Lansing to walk away and hand power back to these clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I also do not always agree with pooberts posts. If we had an awards ceremony, this post in my opinion would be my vote for the best one ever written. Perfect. When's the common sense parade because poobert has to be king now.
    Poobert... time to get on the horn and start selling bumper stickers and t-shirts that say, "Speeding Isn't a Civil Right".

It's catchy, and it makes the point pretty clearly!

Call me a downer but I don't really find it professional for the DNR officers to add their little humorous comments. It shows a complete lack of respect and professionalism.
    I can see why you would think it is unprofessional, but it is a practice that I have seen in various places in different parts of the country, and I don't believe it is generally considered unacceptable. I think the police should treat people fairly and respectfully when they are interacting with them, but I think that they probably should get more leeway in writing about it afterward.

Default Belle Isle

The deer on the island were not killed off.
    They are in a prison built by Bobby Ferguson near the nature center. BTW they are European Fallow deer which were hunted in France by Louis the 14th King of France.

OOoo-wee! It's going to be a bumpy summer! Wait the the blue state boys start to sweep the teen and other gatherers at the 'strip' where they congregate and show off their cars enmass! They'll have fun blowing their horns, pulling over folks, and stopping folks checking paperwork on that.

This board, as evidenced in this thread, like Belle Isle, is truly a different place.
    Count me among those that enjoyed the island for many years with, yes, some trash overflowing from cans and bathrooms out of order, but an overwhelming positive experience, nonetheless. Every time.

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post
    The deer on the island were not killed off.
    They are in a prison built by Bobby Ferguson near the nature center. BTW they are European Fallow deer which were hunted in France by Louis the 14th King of France.
    With all due respect, the imprisoned deer are NOT the original Japanese deer that were given to the COD as a gift. Lord only knows what Mr. Kilpatrick did with the original deer and Aquarium fish.

So let me get this straight, the State Police and DNR are being proactive and trying to set a standard for policing Belle Isle and enforcing laws on the books. City leadership comes in and crys foul saying the state needs sensitivity training so they don't end up targeting COD residents, code word for DWB [[do their cars have a "I'm a Detroit resident" sign on the side of the car? The police have fortunately made arrests of wanted offenders during some of these stops. Come on Council Ladies, the state is just trying to make the park a better place for EVERYONE, get over yourself and let the cops do their job, the only issue I see here is to possibly raise the speed limit to 25 for both the bridge and the park....seems to me like they have made good progress so far.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast