Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I think people are being arrested - but only when, stopped for speeding, records checks show that they have outstanding warrants - sometimes multiple outstanding warrants, as the DNR reports posted in another thread, make clear. There could certainly be 500 people who have been taken away for driving while suspended and/or warrants.
    Winfrey is going over the speed limit in her city-owned vehicle, is pulled over and [[merely) warned and she has the nerve to complain to Council? I see that Jones ASKED her to complain. Wait until she gets one of the new parking tickets.
    Sorry, Ms. Jones. As a Detroit resident, I am happy to see that people are at last being made accountable for violations like drunken driving, non-payment of child support, suspended licenses, weapons violations, etc. I can’t imagine why you think this should not happen.
    This lawless culture has gotten too wide and too deep in this city.

"CO Dan Walzak observed a vehicle on Belle Isle traveling in excess of the speed limit.
    The vehicle was pulled over and contact was made with the driver. The driver stated that he was merely driving his girlfriend and her father around the island for her
    birthday. A check of the occupants revealed that the father had one felony warrant and
    six misdemeanor warrants for his arrest. The driver had 34 misdemeanor warrants for
    his arrest. A verbal warning was given for the speed and both subjects were lodged on
    their respective warrants. The girlfriend, with no warrants and possessing a valid
    driver’s license, was released to finish her birthday tour of the Island by herself."

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    "The girlfriend, with no warrants and possessing a valid
    driver’s license, was released to finish her birthday tour of the Island by herself."
    Call me a downer but I don't really find it professional for the DNR officers to add their little humorous comments. It shows a complete lack of respect and professionalism.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Call me a downer but I don't really find it professional for the DNR officers to add their little humorous comments. It shows a complete lack of respect and professionalism.
    Somehow I doubt CO Dan Walzak writes his reports in the 3rd person.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Somehow I doubt CO Dan Walzak writes his reports in the 3rd person.
    That may be the case but the humorous commentary, regardless of who at the DNR wrote it, is unnecessary and unprofessional.

That may be the case but the humorous commentary, regardless of who at the DNR wrote it, is unnecessary and unprofessional.
    With some jobs, if you can't have a sense of humor you will go crazy.

“It’s a disgrace,” Jones said at today’s council meeting. “I will be calling the state myself.”

Watch out, we got a badass over here.

Seriously, why? So they can put her on speakerphone and laugh? This is the President of a Council that has no power because of its inability to govern. I can assure you Brenda Jones can run her fat mouth all she wants and zero fucks will be given. Delusions of grandeur.

Have the Prince of Sealand call while you're at it. He has just as much real life authority.

Yep, they should leave it for council.

From my perspective, there's nothing to be respectful or professional about. Look at the activity. Look at the council's response. It's a circus. Have fun with it.

I can see why you would think it is unprofessional, but it is a practice that I have seen in various places in different parts of the country, and I don't believe it is generally considered unacceptable. I think the police should treat people fairly and respectfully when they are interacting with them, but I think that they probably should get more leeway in writing about it afterward.

jt, I don't think you're a 'downer', but you might be called hypercritical.

I do see how it is possible to be critical of the end of the statement, but its hardly 'complete lack of respect and professionalism'. I've seen that. This is at most a little tongue-in-cheek. The statement was true. The statement reflects what the occupants of the car said they were doing. The officer needed to state that the birthday girl was free to go. It could have been left at that. But frankly no harm really done.

Me, I'm happy enough that two people were arrested on outstanding warrants. I don't feel need to be critical for such a small issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    "CO Dan Walzak observed a vehicle on Belle Isle traveling in excess of the speed limit.
    The vehicle was pulled over and contact was made with the driver. The driver stated that he was merely driving his girlfriend and her father around the island for her
    birthday.
    A check of the occupants revealed that the father had one felony warrant and six misdemeanor warrants for his arrest. The driver had 34 misdemeanor warrants for his arrest. A verbal warning was given for the speed and both subjects were lodged on their respective warrants.
    The girlfriend, with no warrants and possessing a valid
    Wow, just wow...really?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I think people are being arrested - but only when, stopped for speeding, records checks show that they have outstanding warrants - sometimes multiple outstanding warrants, as the DNR reports posted in another thread, make clear. There could certainly be 500 people who have been taken away for driving while suspended and/or warrants.
    Winfrey is going over the speed limit in her city-owned vehicle, is pulled over and [[merely) warned and she has the nerve to complain to Council? I see that Jones ASKED her to complain. Wait until she gets one of the new parking tickets.
    Sorry, Ms. Jones. As a Detroit resident, I am happy to see that people are at last being made accountable for violations like drunken driving, non-payment of child support, suspended licenses, weapons violations, etc. I can’t imagine why you think this should not happen.
    This lawless culture has gotten too wide and too deep in this city.
    Except that the reason I posted the News article was that it states that 55 arrests were made on the island between Feb. 1 and April 27.

OOoo-wee! It's going to be a bumpy summer! Wait the the blue state boys start to sweep the teen and other gatherers at the 'strip' where they congregate and show off their cars enmass! They'll have fun blowing their horns, pulling over folks, and stopping folks checking paperwork on that.

This board, as evidenced in this thread, like Belle Isle, is truly a different place.
    Count me among those that enjoyed the island for many years with, yes, some trash overflowing from cans and bathrooms out of order, but an overwhelming positive experience, nonetheless. Every time.

Default It's time for the middle to fight back against extremists.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    OOoo-wee! It's going to be a bumpy summer! Wait the the blue state boys start to sweep the teen and other gatherers at the 'strip' where they congregate and show off their cars enmass! They'll have fun blowing their horns, pulling over folks, and stopping folks checking paperwork on that.
    Times they are a changing.

Coalition Against Police Brutality gets called out after blaming the police chief for encouraging people defend themselves by force in a home invasion.

Overtly racist billionaire gets called out, banned, and will be forced to sell his property. [[No one's crying any tears for the billionaire, but we don't have to go back too far in history to find a time where his behavior was tolerated or even embraced.)

It pains me to see that we still have so many people living in a totally deluded world where you are blaming homeowners for defending themselves in a home invasion. Or where a billionaire gets to pretend he's a plantation owner and make money in the process.

Regardless, the forces of change are upon us, and both extremes are being confronted with the reality that their worldview is dying an inevitable death.

I don't have a problem with anyone -- anyone -- who wants to come on Belle Isle, drive below the speed limit, drive sober, and make the island friendly for families. "Families" is not code for white people. It means open drug use, urination in public, playing loud music [[without permit), and other such shenanigans are now off the table.

Last weekend I went for a bike ride and found myself parked next to a van with 3 people inside complaining about how they felt like police were trying to get rid of black people from the island. [[The 3 of them were also black). I couldn't help but note the irony that police were leaving them alone because they weren't playing loud music, driving drunk, or speeding.

People are going to have to change. I read somewhere that the Mayor has gotten 6 speeding tickets in the last 6 years. That'll end soon, or he'll get his license suspended. People are going to have stop breaking into homes, or they will get shot. Friday Night Freaknik will have to find a new venue.

OMG, what is Belle Isle without loud cruisers, unsafe speeders, and drunk drivers??? A nicer, better park.

Addition by subtraction baby. Better get on the train, otherwise you'll get left behind...white or black.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post

OMG, what is Belle Isle without loud cruisers, unsafe speeders, and drunk drivers??? A nicer, better park.
    Amen baby, AMEN!

Belle Isle is now a state park. It's a done deal!!! Just like another Michigan State Parks. It's going to need security. The Michigan State Police was following its rules under law. The police caught the city official speeding in the island park. When the rules state that speed limit is 20 mph all Michigan State Parks. The city official don't need to bring all its drama to the local media about the so called 'police brutality and racial profiling stories.' No one is above the law, not the governor, Mayor of Detroit, city officials and not even the police.

The police will not everyone go that easy. Break the law and you will pay the price.

from one of the report:
    "She [[Allen Park resident) said she was not used to having to stop for the police."

Some of these are comical

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    from one of the report:
    "She [[Allen Park resident) said she was not used to having to stop for the police."
    Still practiced by a member[[s) of City Clownsil [[QB)......why do you think they are speaking out?