Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    jimmyr Guest

Moore doesn't promote anyone moving to Flint, nor does he force his staff to do production there, nor does he own millions of square footage in Flint real estate.

Gilbert thinks everyone else should crimp their lifestyle moving to and "bringing back" Detroit, but he won't. His message is disingenuous and his actions are hypocritical. How can anyone take him seriously? He's avoiding Detroit for the same reasons everyone else is avoiding moving here.
    Last edited by jimmyr; April-28-14 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    Moore doesn't promote anyone moving to Flint, nor does he force his staff to do production there, nor does he own millions of square footage in Flint real estate.

Gilbert thinks everyone else should crimp their lifestyle moving to and "bringing back" Detroit, but he won't. His message is disingenuous and his actions are hypocritical. How can anyone take him seriously? He's avoiding Detroit for the same reasons everyone else is avoiding moving here.
    Why is everyone else avoiding Detroit?

Once again, tell me where Dan Gilbert is demanding people move to Detroit? A link to an article or press release, anything?

Once again, name as many people as you can that have done more for Detroit than Gilbert.

Do you not like him because he's rich? Do you not like him because he's helping Detroit? I noticed you claim your from Southfield in your profile, so what's your angle?

Do you think that the millions in investments of dollars and thousands of jobs don't help Detroit comeback because Gilbert doesn't live in Detroit?

I don't think his residence has too much bearing on his contributions.

I don't see how this is even vaguely hypocritical. He isn't saying everyone has to live in Detroit, or that everyone should live in Detroit. It appears he is trying to make downtown more attractive so that more people will want to live and work there, and he would like people to do that, but obviously only a pretty small fraction of the population of metro area is ever going to be able to live downtown.

Somewhat related quasi-hypothetical question:

Did anyone ask Duggan why Detroit suddenly became an attractive place to live at almost the precise deadline to file to run for mayor?

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I noticed you claim your from Southfield in your profile, so what's your angle?
    I think it's hypocrisy to live in Southfield and start a thread about why someone else should live in Detroit. As a resident of Detroit, I think only people living in Detroit should be able to start a thread like this. So, jmmyr, when are you moving?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I think it's hypocrisy to live in Southfield and start a thread about why someone else should live in Detroit. As a resident of Detroit, I think only people living in Detroit should be able to start a thread like this. So, jmmyr, when are you moving?
    JimmyR isn't trying to do anything good in Detroit, therefore I guess he doesn't have to live there. Only hypocrites would try to do something good in a city where they don't live!

just shut up already.

he has provided incentives for others to live in the city who might not otherwise, has poured millions into buildings and the economy with the promise to do much more. he doesnt have to live here to be a booster or provide a reason for others. is he creating spaces that attract younger people looking for an urban experience or is he building things for wealthy billionaires to inhabit? you cant like a place, promote it, without living there? this whole thread and argument is asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Somewhat related quasi-hypothetical question:

Did anyone ask Duggan why Detroit suddenly became an attractive place to live at almost the precise deadline to file to run for mayor?
    Yes, many people did.

But it was overshadowed by Detroit's financial crisis.

..Does he have a place in Cleveland?

Who cares where they live. This post is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ..Does he have a place in Cleveland?

Actually, who knows if he does have a pad downtown lovingly designed by his cute wife to look like the innards of a pinball machine crossed with a Detroit jazz dive [[?)

I hear he lives in a cardboard box behind the Corktown Bagel Place.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hear he lives in a cardboard box behind the Corktown Bagel Place.

I doubt it, I hear he's allergic to sesame seeds...

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    Who cares where they live. This post is stupid.
    It would send a strong message if the defacto CEO of "comeback Detroit" made the city his family's home. Since he doesn't, it sends a message that Detroit isn't a special place to live. Why again would we let our kids move there after college? Or even more ambitious, buy a home and start a family in Detroit? The guy behind all the investing thinks Detroit is a great place...for you, not for him and his family. Got it.

It would send a strong message if the defacto CEO of "comeback Detroit" made the city his family's home. Since he doesn't, it sends a message that Detroit isn't a special place to live. Why again would we let our kids move there after college? Or even more ambitious, buy a home and start a family in Detroit? The guy behind all the investing thinks Detroit is a great place...for you, not for him and his family. Got it.
    Honest question: Did Dan Gilbert sleep with your wife?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Honest question: Did Dan Gilbert sleep with your wife?
    If he does, set up a hidden camera and blackmail them both!

You're a broken record jimmyr. I'm wondering why you didn't get such a boner over George Jackson all those years he was demolishing buildings downtown in the interest of development, while living in Southfield?

Isn't it a bit hypocritical for him to tell everyone to give Detroit a chance when he drives home to a $4M mansion in tony Franklin each night? I haven't seen the media address this hypocrisy one time.

We could go a step further, Illitchs are all in Bingham Farms, Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. Penskes are in Birmingham, or out of the state entirely. And Rip Rapson, who runs the Kresge Foundation, also lives in Birmingham.
    Dave Bing lived in Franklin. All of these guys live in Oakland County where all of the good retail and big box stores are mostly are while the place where they work and play, Detroit, is starving for good retail. Go figure

You sound very paranoid; receiving messages that don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Dave Bing lived in Franklin. All of these guys live in Oakland County where all of the good retail and big box stores are mostly are while the place where they work and play, Detroit, is starving for good retail. Go figure
    Bing, Gilbert, and the unnamed "others" that live in Oakland County didn't move there for the good retail, the good retail moved there because they chose to live there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3