Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

They don't want to pay city income tax

Quote Originally Posted by Aerojoe View Post
    They don't want to pay city income tax
    You pay city income tax regardless of where you live. You pay some if you work in Detroit, you pay some if you live in Detroit, and you pay double if you live AND work in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    Isn't it a bit hypocritical for him to tell everyone to give Detroit a chance when he drives home to a $4M mansion in tony Franklin each night?

Gilbert has done a lot of great things for the city. It would be nice if he'd relocate to Detroit and build a mansion there, but I'm not going to hold it against him.

I think it's ridiculous for folks to try to minimize what he's done for the city because he lives in Franklin. He's brought ten thousand jobs to the city, purchased buildings, renovated those buildings, and stuff them with jobs and tenants. He did what Ilitch has always refused to do, built a parking structure.

Gilbert has done more good for the city than most residents [[mainly because he has the means to do so, not because residents are unwilling). So I won't hold it against him if he doesn't live where you want him to live.

So you're not allowed to do business in Detroit if you live in the suburbs? I don't think that's something you want, as suburban folks bring a lot to Detroit, just as Detroit brings a lot to the suburbs.
    Last edited by Scottathew; April-27-14 at 06:06 PM.