I don't think it'd be economically feasible for Detroit to continue to deteriorate so surely the city will transition into a more stable albeit smaller city. Not literally smaller in terms of city limits, but physically, many areas will become green space and the population will definitely still be around 700,000 after dipping to a point in the 680,000s.

Although there's many unforeseen things that could happen, especially in relation to the economy. There could be something that gives Detroit a great boost economically [[most likely something related to manufacturing) or perhaps the city becomes desirable to different industries such as finance or technological communications [[Twitter, Google, etc). However, no matter what, I don't think these would launch the city back over 1 million residents, at least not within 20 years. But I do think the city will be smarter, cleaner, better managed and overall better place to live as time progresses.

However, I don't think everyone will exactly be happy with this Detroit. I'm a bit cautious to think that Detroit will resemble much like other major cities or to put that bluntly, socioeconomic statuses will still be an issue. Whites will still likely be more overall wealthier than Blacks and Hispanics and will quickly begin to take up a decent percentage of the population. Although, unlike other major cities, I don't see income segregation as becoming too evident within Detroit. Yes, the downtown area and the riverfront going towards Grosse Pointe will be gentrified, but the rest of the city will still pretty much remain pretty balanced and affordable to pretty much everyone.