Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    I find this whole 'Charter' concept quite interesting.

Cities, for better or worse, in Canada, are considered 'Creatures of the Province' which means they can be abolished or created or amended at will. Well, actually many changes would have to involve the passing of a bill through the legislature, but that would not be hard for most governments....snip...
    I believe most US States have granted far more autonomy than Canadian Provinces to cities. It has been my understanding that most municipal amalgamations in Ontario at least were not done willingly. The local councils/mayors/police chiefs/and event citizen didn't like the idea -- but their opinions were of less importance since the decisions were made on a provincial level.

I do wonder about Jacksonville FL or Indianapolis IN. Both are examples of very large cities. Perhaps state law there is different?

The US is after all the United STATES -- and as such the States have much more power and many more differences than Canadian Provinces do. The relationship between States is more like the relationship of the rest of Canada to the 'Distinct Society' of Quebec where they run a separate pension plan, immigration rules, voting requirements, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I believe most US States have granted far more autonomy than Canadian Provinces to cities. It has been my understanding that most municipal amalgamations in Ontario at least were not done willingly. The local councils/mayors/police chiefs/and event citizen didn't like the idea -- but their opinions were of less importance since the decisions were made on a provincial level.

I do wonder about Jacksonville FL or Indianapolis IN. Both are examples of very large cities. Perhaps state law there is different?

The US is after all the United STATES -- and as such the States have much more power and many more differences than Canadian Provinces do. The relationship between States is more like the relationship of the rest of Canada to the 'Distinct Society' of Quebec where they run a separate pension plan, immigration rules, voting requirements, etc.
    Indy has unigov
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unigov

Which worked like a dream the two times I lived there. The last time I lived there in 2006 I noticed that the city/county had taken another step towards consolidation, the Marion County Sheriff's department and the Indianapolis Police department had been folded into one unit - the Metropolitan Police department.
    Saves money, and makes sense, way to go Hoosiers...
    Last edited by SDCC; April-19-14 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    Indy has unigov
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unigov

Which worked like a dream the two times I lived there. The last time I lived there in 2006 I noticed that the city/county had taken another step towards consolidation, the Marion County Sheriff's department and the Indianapolis Police department had been folded into one unit - the Metropolitan Police department.
    Saves money, and makes sense, way to go Hoosiers...
    In populous Virginia counties, they have created a police department which works for the county executive. The elected sherriff still exists, but is limited to running the jail, providing court baliffs, and serving summons and eviction notices.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Just a couple of clarifications.

Canadian cities are definitely not legally independent of provinces, except as it suits the province in question.

And yes, most, though not amalgamations were provincially initiated [[in modern times).

However, Canadian provinces, in relative terms are likely more powerful than their 'State' equivalent.

Provinces in Canada have exclusive control over all things 'social' ie. Health, Education and Welfare. The only exception is Employment Insurance which has a specific constitutional exemption.

That's a common misnomer in the US that there is Canadian healthcare, when what we have is 10 provincial and 3 territorial health systems.

The Federal gov't in Canada is limited to basically, foreign affairs, defence, the criminal code, drug approvals, immigration and certain economic regulation [[currency, interest rate etc.) It does have some out-sized influence through its spending power though.

Quebec, while indeed very distinct, has essentially the same powers as every other province, the distinction [[mostly) being one of how those powers are used.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Canadian cities are definitely not legally independent of provinces, except as it suits the province in question.

And yes, most, though not amalgamations were provincially initiated [[in modern times).
    We really have to look no further than right across the border to Essex County to see that. The county recently underwent a governmental consolidation that was highly unpopular in much of the county, but was dictated by the provincial government in Toronto with little or no debate.

Some towns that had been around for 150 years or more were effectively eliminated as independent entities, and had their governance transferred to another town that was often many miles away. Several school districts were eliminated, their schools closed, and their students bused to other towns. As much as many areas in the U.S. would benefit from governmental rationalization and streamlining and greater regional cooperation and pooling of resources, the sort of "top down" approach used in consolidation in Ontario, even in the face of large-scale public opposition, would simply be unthinkable in the U.S. [[and would probably violate most state constitutions as well).

We live and own in Detroit. It is not for everyone. It certainly is never dull.

Amalgamation, never happen.

I just really wish with my full heart that people could see and share in the vibrancy that exists. Obviously, there are so many problems, but so many people address them. I am stunned almost daily at mini miracles.