Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Not only did he find nothing, but he knows exactly why they were stopped. Mighty keen powers of observation. Funny, when I see someone pulled over I seldom, if ever know the reason for it.
    Not to mention he used the term "white faced authority" three times in his blathering screed. He must really be proud to invent that useless phrase.

He's so proud of that
    feels it's so nice
    he had to go
    and use it thrice.

I live in a different state, but I have to say that the state police where I live are total assholes. Local police seem to deal with certain situations with some regard to what's going on. State troopers seem to go by the book with no regard to what the situation is. I have no idea of what their training or regulations are, but they remind me more of thoughtless, indignant parasites that lack the ability to rationalize singular situations.
    I think their IQ is substandard and their aggressiveness is not within the moral standards of the American public. Just my opinion. I think local police officers in general are more understanding to situations in general.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I live in a different state, but I have to say that the state police where I live are total assholes. Local police seem to deal with certain situations with some regard to what's going on. State troopers seem to go by the book with no regard to what the situation is. I have no idea of what their training or regulations are, but they remind me more of thoughtless, indignant parasites that lack the ability to rationalize singular situations.
    I think their IQ is substandard and their aggressiveness is not within the moral standards of the American public. Just my opinion. I think local police officers in general are more understanding to situations in general.
    Old guy, DPD has been more then "understanding" to situations in general for the past 50 years. How has that turned out for the City? I'm not advocating Martial Law, but policing has been SO lax in Detroit, it's a joke. The criminals don't even bother to cover up their actions in their presence. Crime, and especially petty crime, is the biggest reason more people leave then return. You need something, why buy? Your neighbor's not home. Maybe it's time people were held accountable for driving with stolen tags or plates?

HT, maybe I was a bit harsh about my feelings towards state troopers. I don't have a problem with police officers enforcing the laws and I appreciate the fact I live in an area where I feel safe because they do. I just don't care for the, absolute, by the book attitude state troopers utilize. In the area where I live it seems as though they're more revenue generators than peace keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    HT, maybe I was a bit harsh about my feelings towards state troopers. I don't have a problem with police officers enforcing the laws and I appreciate the fact I live in an area where I feel safe because they do. I just don't care for the, absolute, by the book attitude state troopers utilize. In the area where I live it seems as though they're more revenue generators than peace keepers.
    NP. They've followed me on Belle Isle as well, and I know they were checking my plates. IMO, so much petty [[and serious) crime has been left unchecked in the City, that finally reigning it is going to cause quite a stir. That said, I don't want to go back to the Orville Hubbard days when long hair and a beard immediately got you pulled over and searched. I AM tired of buying license plate tags for the whole neighborhood.

I live so close to Belle Isle but rarely go. Shame on me. Gannon is right, the sunsets can be quite spectacular

I frankly just do not understand litter. My car gets a little messy on occasion but I would never just open a window and toss stuff. My front yard is fenced in and the crap I pick up weekly is astounding. It didn't just blow in. I think the only thing I haven't found yet is a used condom. It isn't our kids doing this either. As a community we have worked hard with area kids to respect nature and peoples property.

I still smoke but don't even toss the buts. One area Mom tried to get the schools to reinvent a don't liter campaign but she got blown off.

Just some nice memories of Belle Isle. We would do winter picnics. The bathrooms were heated. We would skate the canals. Grill hot dogs etc.

I am sorry to hear state troopers are acting like thugs. Lots of crazy behavior on the Island but police should not mimic that behavior.

I am a little old for this but the naked alternative beach is quite fun. Shame if that gets shut down. Young people , kids, dogs all seem to do fine. It is very very passive, closing that would be a huge shame. And no people, I do not do naked. Just no objections to people who do.

I was on the island today doing volunteer work. I hope the state realizes that many are watching closely AND that this weekend is a holiday weekend so start mowing the GRASS like NOW!!!!

Now I feel better. The weather is so nice today we did go to Belle Isle with a couple of our dogs. It really is a shame we don't go more often.

I think there is nothing wrong with this. Clearly, Jones wants favoritism for the officials of Detroit. Cops do this everywhere. If you're speeding and they take an interest, they'll run your plate. If they find warrants, then they arrest you. Why does Jones want a double standard for Belle Isle?

http://www.freep.com/article/2014042...cil-Belle-Isle

So let me get this straight, the state is using state resources to try to keep the island safe and ensure the rules are followed. Because of this the council is mad???

I am trying to understand why they are upset here?

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014042...cil-Belle-Isle

So let me get this straight, the state is using state resources to try to keep the island safe and ensure the rules are followed. Because of this the council is mad???

I am trying to understand why they are upset here?
    “It’s a disgrace,” Jones said at today’s council meeting. “I will be calling the state myself
    ooooh....Look out, Brenda Jones is gonna CALL someone! Who? not sure... but the STATE will hear from her.

Councilwoman Saunteel Jenkins said Winfrey’s story is an example of larger problems with the state’s management of Belle Isle. She said all city residents should be welcome there.
    And they are welcomed, but they'll be ticketed if they speed and arrested if they are found to have outstanding warrants or have committed an offense one would normally expect to be arrested for committing. That is how it works in the first world.

“What’s your definition of riff raff?” Jenkins said. “It’s absolutely ridiculous.”
    I'm going with, whoever those 4 other people were. Go look em up Saunteel. Get back to us on the honor students that spent a few hours in the pokey.

“I’m just waiting for somebody to pull me over,” Jones said.
    I am too because I am 100% certain the very first words out of your mouth will be "do you know who the fuck I am"...and we can all be done with you.

jimmyr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ooooh....Look out, Brenda Jones is gonna CALL someone! Who? not sure... but the STATE will hear from her.

And they are welcomed, but they'll be ticketed if they speed and arrested if they are found to have outstanding warrants or have committed an offense one would normally expect to be arrested for committing. That is how it works in the first world.

I'm going with, whoever those 4 other people were. Go look em up Saunteel. Get back to us on the honor students that spent a few hours in the pokey.

I am too because I am 100% certain the very first words out of your mouth will be "do you know who the fuck I am"...and we can all be done with you.
    So embarrassing. And we wonder why nobody believes in Detroit? It's 2014 and clowns like this are in public office.

So far, it's only Jones that's complaining. She doesn't like having to follow laws. I'm not surprised there are some growing pains here. People are not used to strict law enforcement in a lot of areas in Detroit. Camp Dearborn was [[maybe still is) like that. Years ago, my 80 year old grandma got pulled over for speeding [[30 in a 25). She didn't gripe; she apologized. I haven't been to Belle Isle since the state leased it, but I'm looking forward to observing the police presence myself to see if the complaining is legit.

Brenda Jones is probably getting a lot of calls from constituents and is trying to represent them the best she can. Unfortunately, those who have gripes are the only ones calling her. What needs to happen is for her to hear from those who like the additional police presence.

I just read the article... LOL Mayor got busted too.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-29-14 at 01:18 PM.

She is grabbing at low hanging fruit to appeal to the entitled. Typical common council fashion. They are unable to tackle the real issues that need to be solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Brenda Jones is probably getting a lot of calls from constituents and is trying to represent them the best she can. Unfortunately, those who have gripes are the only ones calling her. What needs to happen is for her to hear from those who like the additional police presence.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    She is grabbing at low hanging fruit to appeal to the entitled. Typical common council fashion. They are unable to tackle the real issues that need to be solved.
    I hope that with enough folks getting busted with outstanding warrants, suspended liscences, no insurance, open intoxicants, driving around stoned that this will eventually get out and fewer folks will eventually realize they need to clean up their acts. This is the sort of stuff that really drives up the cost of auto insurance for all of us in this State [[not to mention the City that gets hit the worst).

Duggan has a history of speeding tickets and has never hidden the fact that he likes to drive a little too fast.

jimmyr Guest

Playing up race relations, just like all of the other race hustling Detroit politicians have for 50 years, to the detriment of the entire region.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    Playing up race relations, just like all of the other race hustling Detroit politicians have for 50 years, to the detriment of the entire region.
    What is your "hustle" if it is not race relations? Why even bring this up?

That is a good point, DetroitPlanner.

Glad to hear they will be installing "breathalyzers" & metal detectors at the entry/exit, along with LEAN [[law enforcement agency network) stations to make potential arrests or collect fines [[tickets, warrants, etc.)......

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Glad to hear they will be installing "breathalyzers" & metal detectors at the entry/exit, along with LEAN [[law enforcement agency network) stations to make potential arrests or collect fines [[tickets, warrants, etc.)......
    So... where did you "hear" this?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    So... where did you "hear" this?
    On the inner-web.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    It's LEIN [[Law Enforcement Information Network).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast