Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How safe is eastern english village?

I readed the news regarding EEV is luanching the foreclosure properties start from few days ago and I m wondering how safe is in there.

It's East English Village. I live here. It isn't as safe as most suburbs but is far safer than most of the city. Think living in a neighborhood in a normal urban area, as oppose to Detroit.

You're from Hong Kong. Are you an investor? May I say, we have enough "investors" in this neighborhood already. If you are planning on being an owner-occupant, I welcome you with open arms. If you are simply curious, I welcome your questions as well. If you are an investor - that is, seeking to purchase and rent out residential properties from a different continent - I will oppose your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    It's East English Village. I live here. It isn't as safe as most suburbs but is far safer than most of the city. Think living in a neighborhood in a normal urban area, as oppose to Detroit.

You're from Hong Kong. Are you an investor? May I say, we have enough "investors" in this neighborhood already. If you are planning on being an owner-occupant, I welcome you with open arms. If you are simply curious, I welcome your questions as well. If you are an investor - that is, seeking to purchase and rent out residential properties from a different continent - I will oppose your efforts.
    Hey Poobert, good comments, EEV is too nice to be exploited

Poobert= Thanks for your reply.

I am wondering that how come there have "enough investor"?

Is it difficult to lease the properties there?

Whatever the news are alway talking about Detroit but I still beieve Detroit is still one of the potential part in US.

Quote Originally Posted by tobyunited View Post
    Poobert= Thanks for your reply.

I am wondering that how come there have "enough investor"?

Is it difficult to lease the properties there?

Whatever the news are alway talking about Detroit but I still beieve Detroit is still one of the potential part in US.

So you are an investor, a speculator, from Red China, no less. Kindly go fuck yourself. Why don't you just go take a whiff of that delicious Beijing air until you cough up blood instead of speculating on the neighborhood and country that I call home? Try to speculate here and I'll ruin you.

Anyway, filth aside, 313 is right, somewhat. Property values have actually gone up in the past 2 years - I can now get nearly double what I paid for my house - WHICH I LIVE IN - but if investors like whoever that illiterate commie was prevail, this neighborhood is gone. Luckily, the trend has been to owner-occupants, and we aim to keep it that way.
    Last edited by poobert; April-20-14 at 09:57 PM.

Poobert, Got your reply.

First of all, remind your world.

You have to understand that the properties prices increased are not in my problems and all of those are original from the bankers making the troubles.

There have 1 way you could do is, order the US national bank stops the quantitative easing then you will get the properties for the wholes street by a dollar.

I have to ask you that when 8 years ago the inflation in Hong Kong is lower than US but now our properties prices are the highest in the world then should I ask every US tourist or resident in Hong Kong to go back to the states?

Even the Mainlander from China are coming to Hong Kong to pulled up the properties and for me I never blame them as like someone because I M A SURVIVOR.

Are you the only one is suffering? I have to tell you is, No- all the people even in the forum is in suffering, so do I.

Remember Socrates said Strong minds discuss idea, average mind discuss events, weak mind discuss person/ people.

Onces again, I say thank you for the surivior with strong mind but not to a loser, like you if you think you are.

Check the words I said, if you admit yourself is a loser in here keep using the dirties world then go for it, you just make dirty for this detroityes fourm and the people from Detroit to the world, and I just treat those dirty words as from a rubbish bin has opened the cover.
    Last edited by tobyunited; April-21-14 at 10:32 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Any insight for those who ARE interested in becoming owner-occupants? Not really concerned about schools, but I am interested in safety and community in the neighborhood, convenience to highways/groceries/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikesamin View Post
    Any insight for those who ARE interested in becoming owner-occupants? Not really concerned about schools, but I am interested in safety and community in the neighborhood, convenience to highways/groceries/etc.
    Rationally speaking, without the pom-pom waving or fear mongering, on a scale of 1-100, 100 being warm and fuzzy, I'd give it 60-70. ANYplace you buy in Detroit, except for maybe Midtown or Downtown, where you'll pay through the nose for not-so-much, it'll take a consolidated effort on the part of the purchaser, and certain precautions, to live here. Lighting, an alarm, [[to alert your neighbors because DPD won't show up) locks, perhaps a weapon, and a general "awareness" of your surroundings. As far as shopping and retaurants, you're going to need a car, or a bike. Most "Detroiters" from that area, go into Grosse Pointe to shop for groceries and dry goods. You'll also have to drive to bigger "chain" stores for purchases. I don't know where you currently live, but I always encourage potential buyers to make numerous trips into the area, to "gas up" @ the corner station, have breakfast @ a local eatery, maybe do some shopping, and get a "real feel" for what you're getting into. There are people that will welcome you with open arms, and others, who'll see you as an intruder and potential victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Rationally speaking, without the pom-pom waving or fear mongering, on a scale of 1-100, 100 being warm and fuzzy, I'd give it 60-70. ANYplace you buy in Detroit, except for maybe Midtown or Downtown, where you'll pay through the nose for not-so-much, it'll take a consolidated effort on the part of the purchaser, and certain precautions, to live here. Lighting, an alarm, [[to alert your neighbors because DPD won't show up) locks, perhaps a weapon, and a general "awareness" of your surroundings. As far as shopping and retaurants, you're going to need a car, or a bike. Most "Detroiters" from that area, go into Grosse Pointe to shop for groceries and dry goods. You'll also have to drive to bigger "chain" stores for purchases. I don't know where you currently live, but I always encourage potential buyers to make numerous trips into the area, to "gas up" @ the corner station, have breakfast @ a local eatery, maybe do some shopping, and get a "real feel" for what you're getting into. There are people that will welcome you with open arms, and others, who'll see you as an intruder and potential victim.
    Almost everything that you wrote wouldn't be specific to Detroit, you could say the same for just about any neighborhood including the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Almost everything that you wrote wouldn't be specific to Detroit, you could say the same for just about any neighborhood including the suburbs.
    I don't know about that. Not too many people from Farmington drive to Grosse Pointe to buy groceries. Sorry, Just trying to answer OP's questions about life in EEV honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikesamin View Post
    East English Village is well kept neighborhood in Detroit's East Side, but it lost a lot of diversity in the past 20 years. Yes there are some beautiful homes filled with tall trees and garden-like landscape, but looks can be deceiving. Please research about the demographics in that area before you move in. While grew up in Detroit [[which is 82 percent black) every hood in Detroit is a ghetto. I live in those hoods, I grew in those hoods, I go the school in those hoods, I shop in those hoods and even got robbed at gun point in those hoods. No neighborhoods is 100% safe. You're going have to depend on your own security before you can call police. Good luck buying or renting a home in Detroit. I hope you can stay longer and raise your kids there.

I grew up in EEV, when my mom who owned there, started to fail we lived in her home for 7 years as caretakers. Great place, great neighborhood for HOMEOWNERS.

My sister lives there, my niece lives there, our youngest son lives there. All homeowners. Please do not speculate in a very sweet neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Use crime map and decide for yourself
    Crime maps only show you the reported crimes. How many people don't even bother reporting petty property crimes in Detroit because they know there's no point? Sometimes it's good to hear from people on the ground.

I don't know what the defining edges of EEV are, but the area near Moross seems to have got worse. Apparently this area is called Cornerstone Village? Either way, I've noticed a lot more vacant and burnt out houses in this area and heading towards Kelly in the last couple of years. Really nice bungalows and cape-cod style homes in this area too. As far as crime, it could be a lot safer than it currently is, but it's not anywhere near as bad as other parts of the city. However, I really hope that the negativity doesn't creep into EEV. It's definitely a nice area.

Let's see, EEV Prep on Cadieux recently had a murder in it's parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    Yeah. But the school is technically in Cornerstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
    And it used to be Finney, which has always been a violent shithole in recent memory.

Disband DPS and execute all the administrators via firing squad and I think you've solved a lot of Detroit's problems right there.

DPS schools are like Mars to me. I don't go there, I don't have kids to go there, and when I do, they won't. The side streets of EEV are nice and quiet for the most part.

Pft, cross Cadieux and you're in EEV.

Get facts right, not cornerstone its called four corners. It abuts to four other communities.

Last edited by jcole; April-19-14 at 06:51 PM.

ok I'll stand corrected. I remember when we were NEAR, DEAR ,ONE, Neighbors United Etc. If they changed their name again no skin off my knees.

As mentioned I have many family members still there. I find it safe. It is a great community. It has nice houses and a great area. We do not live there anymore so I have no particular stakeholder position, it's just a nice place to live.

Look what happen to Steve Utash!

Look what happen to East English Village Prepatory Academy where there was a gang shooting, yes a gang shooting!
    Last edited by Danny; April-19-14 at 08:34 PM.

My cousin brought a two family flat on E. Outer Drive near Alter Rd. in 1990 in East English Village. At the time are neighborhood was nice and well kept up and 90% white all the way to Mack and Moross Rd. Now the area has some abandon buildings and crackheads, gangs and welfare and food stamp eaters ran amok in that area. The neighborhood looks nice and filled with trees from the main roads. But drive or walk deeper into those blocks. There are folks looking for trouble.

At the risk of looking stupid, which sometimes I do not mind. Outer Dr near Alter is Morning-side not EEV.

Kind of of think there are folks looking for trouble almost anywhere. I am saddened of course.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast