Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default UPDATE: State Backs Off closing Belle Isle to Public for 4 Days in Sept.

UPDATE: State Backs Off closing Belle Isle to Public for 4 Days in Sept.

Jump to Update Post >>

Except if you are a member of the Detroit Yacht Club.

Now that we have a state park will it increasingly be made off limits to the public to host corporate and entertainment events?

It started with the Grand Prix who paved over a few acres and now this. Do you approve of this on the summer dates of Sept. 7-11?

For four days in September, Belle Isle runners, picnickers and anglers will be replaced by talking cars, driverless vehicles and high-tech traffic systems.

The futuristic Belle Isle demonstrations are part of the Intelligent Transport Systems 21st World Congress, running concurrently at Cobo Center Sept. 7-11.

The event occurs in North America every three years, this marking the first time it's been to Detroit. It’s expected to draw as many as 10,000 business executives, legislators and researchers to showcase the latest innovations in transportation.

Belle Isle will host live demonstrations of driverless cars, including passenger vehicles, commercial trucks and military vehicles, and robotics.

The island became a state park in February, when Michigan leased the city-owned park for 30 years relieving bankrupt Detroit from managing the area.

Scott Belcher, president of Washington, D.C.-based ITS America, said the state’s offer of using the park for the World Congress proved how serious the state takes its stake in automotive.
    During the event, Belle Isle will be closed for four days to the general public, with the exception of owners of boats docked at the Detroit Yacht Club.
    Full Article At Crain's

Generally, no, I don't approve. But this is a force multiplier. This is our chance to impress some real movers, shakers, and talent into the city.

If it were another Metallica concert, I'd be pretty meh. But IMHO, this is worth it. And I'm at Belle Isle at least 2-3x week jogging or biking. And, no, I'm not a member at the DYC.

How many of these would I be willing to put up with? I don't have an answer for that. But for this, I'm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Now that we have a state park will it increasingly be made off limits to the public to host corporate and entertainment events?

It started with the Grand Prix who paved over a few acres and now this. Do you approve of this on the summer dates of Sept. 7-11?

Full Article At Crain's
    The Grand Prix, [[which I oppose) was a COD joint, and not the State. The State event is 4 days, after the last big Holiday, out of the way, [[thought some people WILL be effected) and hopefully, it's to generate business and interest in the City. The Grand Prix nonsense has already started, [[the concrete barriers on Belle Isle can look lovely this time of year) and will continue to disrupt well into June. I don't know what the City gains from this, but the big winner seems to be Penske. Big difference IMO.

Ridiculous. And just the kind of crap I was afraid of if we let Snyder & Co. take our park from us. But I guess it's no longer a park for the actual people of the east side, and the City of Detroit. Just another potential "event space" that's also sometimes open to the public - the paying public that is.

But not open to us when it's inconvenient for the businesses the folks in Lansing want to make more sweetheart deals with. I'm guessing that the shade of a concentration of plebeian eastsiders might scare off the super-car bigwigs. But, hey, those DYC folks are of a trustably pale class, so they can get in! Just not the people whose goddamned park it actually is and always has been.

We really seem to get closer and closer every day to Bastille swarming time.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Generally, no, I don't approve. But this is a force multiplier. This is our chance to impress some real movers, shakers, and talent into the city.
    To what end? We've, as a city, as well as a country, been kissing ass to the "movers and shakers" for three decades. Where has it gotten us? We work more, are more productive, and wages have stagnated, except for CEOs. Trickle down IS NOT A THING.

So some windbag shiteater goes to a gala on Belle Isle and that's going to hopefully inspire him to lift the huddled masses out of poverty? No, it's just going to be a circle jerk. I know these people. They go to the crap every weekend and complain about it. They're still as sniveling, racist, ruthless, and spineless as ever. This isn't going to change that.

Despite my outrage, I am a member of the DYC[[and I live in a three bedroom house in Detroit). I know it's become a favorite punching bag on here, but it's a glorified marina with a gym and a bar. The real money is at the GPYC and the DAC. Trust me, that is where our fate is decided.

It's a park. For the record, I don't mind it being a State park with the key word being park. Not racetrack. Not event rental space. That said, I'm more angry over the Grand Prix. With the state in, can't we get rid of that once and for all? That was supposed to be the thing to save BI. Well, it didn't. It ruins it from April through the entire month of July.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    From Crains: "The event occurs in North America every three years, this marking the first time it's been to Detroit. It’s expected to draw as many as 10,000 business executives, legislators and researchers to showcase the latest innovations in transportation."

I agree, Detroit doesn't need events that attract thousands of people to the city, filling hotel rooms, restaurants and bars. The people who work there must already be plenty busy and Detroit doesn't need any more out of state dollars flooding in. At least not at the cost of not being able to access the park for a few weekdays in September, which really is the peak time for the park.

I think this really is comparable to Parisians starving in the streets under a despotic King, and it definitely is time to storm the Bastille and free the prisoners held within.

Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-11-14 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    From Crains: "The event occurs in North America every three years, this marking the first time it's been to Detroit. It’s expected to draw as many as 10,000 business executives, legislators and researchers to showcase the latest innovations in transportation."

I agree, Detroit doesn't need events that attract thousands of people to the city, filling hotel rooms, restaurants and bars. The people who work there must already be plenty busy and Detroit doesn't need any more out of state dollars flooding in. At least not a trade off of not being able to access the park for a few weekdays in September, which really is the peak time for the park.

I think this really is comparable to Parisians starving in the streets under a despotic King, and it definitely is time to storm the Bastille and free the prisoners held within.

Two thumbs up on the sarcastic post!

Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men...

Who's to say that the COD would not have agreed to the same arrangement? Events of this magnitude have a lot of influence, obviously.

The new and improved Cobo and increased hotel space is paying dividends.

The ITS [[Intelligent Transprtation Systems) World Congress is the future of transportation. There will also be infrastructure installed downtown for driverless vehicles. It is the Autoshow for moving people.

This is a great way to highlight what we do: engineering, IT, and manufacturing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvNwUPEJEkE

There is nowhere in the world that has such a concentration of these three pieces of the puzzle. This is Detroit, this is what we do.

They are coming here and they will buy out $h!t, maybe even some of our Shinola! This will result in the further expansion of our diversification and building upon what we do into good-paying high-tech employment for many.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-11-14 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Ridiculous. And just the kind of crap I was afraid of if we let Snyder & Co. take our park from us. But I guess it's no longer a park for the actual people of the east side, and the City of Detroit. Just another potential "event space" that's also sometimes open to the public - the paying public that is.

But not open to us when it's inconvenient for the businesses the folks in Lansing want to make more sweetheart deals with. I'm guessing that the shade of a concentration of plebeian eastsiders might scare off the super-car bigwigs. But, hey, those DYC folks are of a trustably pale class, so they can get in! Just not the people whose goddamned park it actually is and always has been.

Yeah and if they actually do land a vetronics or automotive robotics firm for the city, DYes can be suitably out raged by the architecture or the location.

Read the article completely. The comment from Rob Morosi [[MDOT) is spot on. Although it looks to me like one of the days is a Sunday, his comment that "....the event is during the work week and the kids are back in school...." rings true. It's NOT taking place on 4 days in July, but 4 days in September.

One other consideration is revenue. I'm assuming that ITS is paying for the right to use the park for 4 days in September, in the same way that they're renting Cobo for their conference, although no one has stated that outright. I've got no problem with that either, especially if the money goes to upkeep of the park.

I wouldn't call it a corporate event. ITS is the Intelligent Traffic Society which the State of Michigan is hosting. Its members are State DOT's, Federal agencies, and private agencies. This isn't Coca Cola taking over the island. Since this event is being hosted at Cobo, demonstrating autonomous vehicles in Belle Isle would be perfect. Also, if the state is willing to showcase Belle Isle, you know it will be in tip top shape for the world to see.

I can't wait until these movers and shakers see Detroit's latest innovations in transportation. That is what we don't do.

A fun experiment would be to have these folks try getting downtown and to Belle Isle on their own.

I'd bet Metallica made more money for the city of Detroit, and also had thousands of out of town folks, but this is OK since these are movers and shakers we need to impress. Please.

For every very real problem, there are always several glib answers.

Eastside Al may be one of the last men not full of shit on this forum ...
    Last edited by Detroitnerd; April-11-14 at 04:05 PM.

I think it was in Madrid last year. Or Sweden. Next destination is maybe Hong Kong. Let's complain about all the money that will be spent here. The housekeepers and bellman, the drivers and stagehands and electricians, the landscapers and florists, the carefree and cooks- let's make our complaints heard for them.And, by the way, the State is "hosting" this, but the bid was from Detroit. I guess you all hate the horrible State when those Pure Michigan commercials come up in conversation with your far-away friends who want to talk about how beautiful your State is. I think ITS is not getting Belle Isle for free.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I think it was in Madrid last year. Or Sweden. Next destination is maybe Hong Kong. Let's complain about all the money that will be spent here. The housekeepers and bellman, the drivers and stagehands and electricians, the landscapers and florists, the carefree and cooks- let's make our complaints heard for them.And, by the way, the State is "hosting" this, but the bid was from Detroit. I guess you all hate the horrible State when those Pure Michigan commercials come up in conversation with your far-away friends who want to talk about how beautiful your State is. I think ITS is not getting Belle Isle for free.
    You're setting up a false choice. They didn't need to shut the island for this to happen. Why the heck do we have convention centers? Any way you look at it, it's a bad idea, one that wouldn't have happened if Detroiters hadn't relinquished control of the island to Lansing.

This was the plan well before the Island moved to State management.

What's next? Are they going to start shutting down the island to host World Fairs? Bah! Take that to Chicago or New York where they don't care for their public parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    For every very real problem, there are always several glib answers.

Eastside Al may be one of the last men not full of shit on this forum ...
    Including the poster above me. ...

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    This was the plan well before the Island moved to State management.
    I seem to recall talk of this a year or two ago. [[It's a triennial event - oops, I have it confused with something) and this will be big - maybe auto show big. Unlike the auto show, this is a real chance for Detroit's engineering community to show its stuff. Part of the reason Detroit won the show was the availability of Belle Isle - a place they can give semi-real-world demonstrations without actually disrupting the city. The previous World Congress [[Tokyo)had parking lot demos.
    Last edited by rb336; April-11-14 at 04:52 PM.

so are they gonna fix the potholes on belle isle?

remember a pothole stopped the race in 2012?
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012060...flying-asphalt

complaining about 4 days? theres bigger fish to fry on belle isle.

I'm an engineer and this is pretty big considering its a worldwide conference so its not like it goes from Cleveland to Chicago to Boise every year. This is a pretty big deal. I'm hoping to attend the Belle Isle stuff. I'm really excited to these self-driving vehicles and how they will react with other vehicles and also the intelligent traffic stuff that is getting huge. This has been known for at least 4 years about Belle Isle but then you would have to be in the engineering community to know... not working for the Metro Times writing about head shops and giving reviews on taco stands.

Not really an issue. This event benefits the entire Detroit region and state of Michigan. If Michigan does not stay ahead of this type of automobile technology, other states like California and Nevada will beat us.

Also, considering all the state parks around the United States that have closed or are in danger of closing, it is great to see all the investment being made in our state parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Full Article At Crain's
    Last edited by rjlj; April-11-14 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You're setting up a false choice. They didn't need to shut the island for this to happen. Why the heck do we have convention centers? Any way you look at it, it's a bad idea, one that wouldn't have happened if Detroiters hadn't relinquished control of the island to Lansing.

I'll go waaaaaaaay out on a limb here. Perhaps its a tad better to have live demonstrations of new vehicles someplace other than inside a convention center? I bet that's also why the Grand Prix is not at Cobo, come to think of it.

From Crains: "Belle Isle will host live demonstrations of driverless cars, including passenger vehicles, commercial trucks and military vehicles, and robotics.

And when was the last time Detroit hosted a world-class type of event?

The Crain's article says that prior to this arrangement, the ITS was negotiating with the city for street closures for the demonstrations. Would we be hollering about the COD surrendering control of the streets? [[As used to happen when the Grand Prix was on city streets.)
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-11-14 at 06:48 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast