Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Yes, a bunch of houses have hit the auction site. It will be real interesting to see what happens with the B-E houses. Several on Atkinson [["almost B-E") too.

http://www.buildingdetroit.org/Home

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Yes, a bunch of houses have hit the auction site. It will be real interesting to see what happens with the B-E houses. Several on Atkinson [["almost B-E") too.

http://www.buildingdetroit.org/Home
    These interest me, but I wonder if fixing them up in 6 months is realistic

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    These interest me, but I wonder if fixing them up in 6 months is realistic
    That is a very legitimate concern. I'm not sure it makes sense to require the same amount of time for a 4000 sq. ft. house as a 1400 sq. ft. one, especially if it has architectural features you might want to preserve. The other question I have is about the location of the B-E houses in an historic district--usually you need to get approval to make exterior changes, and replacing all the windows [[for example) is a significant change. I've always liked the house that is up in the first block of Chicago, but it would require an almost superhuman effort to get it fixed up in six months if it really needs the work the description suggests--just getting appropriate contractors lined up for this season would be hard.
    Last edited by mwilbert; May-12-14 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    That is a very legitimate concern. I'm not sure it makes sense to require the same amount of time for a 4000 sq. ft. house as a 1400 sq. ft. one, especially if it has architectural features you might want to preserve. The other question I have is about the location of the B-E houses in an historic district--usually you need to get approval to make exterior changes, and replacing all the windows [[for example) is a significant change. I've always liked the house that is up in the first block of Chicago, but it would require an almost superhuman effort to get it fixed up in six months if it really needs the work the description suggests--just getting appropriate contractors lined up for this season would be hard.
    What, this sounds like a lot to you?

The roof, doors and 60 windows need repair or replacement. Upgrades to the electrical system, plumbing, and interior waterproofing is recommended. Replacement of the boiler system, kitchen, bathrooms and drywall is also recommended. Other cosmetic repairs include paint and flooring.

Have to worry a little bit about things being rushed in the historic district for sure. Of course, that only applies to external changes, which I would say is small minority of what needs to be done in most of the houses. I doubt it would be hard to get door/window approval.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rn-communities
    The homes auctioned in the two new neighborhoods will also begin at $1,000; however, auction winners in Boston-Edison will be given nine months for rehab work due to the larger size of the historic homes.
    So there ya go. An additional 3 months to work on the BE homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    What, this sounds like a lot to you?

The roof, doors and 60 windows need repair or replacement. Upgrades to the electrical system, plumbing, and interior waterproofing is recommended. Replacement of the boiler system, kitchen, bathrooms and drywall is also recommended. Other cosmetic repairs include paint and flooring.

Have to worry a little bit about things being rushed in the historic district for sure. Of course, that only applies to external changes, which I would say is small minority of what needs to be done in most of the houses. I doubt it would be hard to get door/window approval.
    Well, in the one you are talking about, we have roof, doors, and windows, plus paint, the colors of which are regulated. I'm not saying you couldn't do it, but there is considerable lead time on historically appropriate custom doors and windows, if those were required and any delay could be a problem. The last thing you want is to do the renovation and then find out is isn't OK. Anyway, nine months to a certificate of occupancy seems a lot more realistic, so I think the city is on the right track here.

Did anyone go to the 4722 Avery open house? I didnt even know it was up on the list until too late. I was hoping for some additional pictures. Im probably going to bid on it....

Quote Originally Posted by detroitrbychoice View Post
    Did anyone go to the 4722 Avery open house? I didnt even know it was up on the list until too late. I was hoping for some additional pictures. Im probably going to bid on it....
    Whoa! As of 12.00 pm today the bidding is at 50,700!