Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Zug Island Community Garden Guest

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    It's not chump change, but wow, there are deals to be had.
    ...until the ludicrous property tax bills start coming. At some point you won't be able to simply not pay with impunity the way the majority of people do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug Island Community Garden View Post
    ...until the ludicrous property tax bills start coming. At some point you won't be able to simply not pay with impunity the way the majority of people do now.
    Yeah, but it doesn't bother me as much to pay 50% more in property taxes when I'm buying the house for 90% less.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Yeah, but it doesn't bother me as much to pay 50% more in property taxes when I'm buying the house for 90% less.
    The circle will be complete when as property values rise.... "when I moved here the taxes where half as much" then the famous "I can't afford to live here anymore because of the taxes"

Quote Originally Posted by Zug Island Community Garden View Post
    I live in EEV and my total property taxes are $2100 per year with the NEZ abatement. Not bargain basement but totally managable. Don't be so hysterical.

The totally rehabed EEV Land Bank houses sold for 50k - 90k. These are the remainder that the Lank Bank didn't have the funding to renovate, so the EEV Association worked this out. The squeaky wheel gets the grease in this town.

Check it out. The neighborhood isn't perfect but it's really pretty nice. To buy a nice old house here for 40k total, and have reasonable property taxes, great neighbors, and an active neighborhood association, it really is a deal. I plan on moving out of the state soon but I will certainly miss the neighorhood, definitely one of the bright spots in Detroit and Michigan.