Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

It is close to 11 PM. Kids are still running up and down the street. Honestly these are great kids. Rapes are on a upswing here. I cringe to think one is harmed.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    It is close to 11 PM. Kids are still running up and down the street. Honestly these are great kids. Rapes are on a upswing here. I cringe to think one is harmed.
    I stayed with a childhood friend of mine on the westside last summer, and there were ten-year-old kids running around at 1 am by his house. He had cool neighbors though, we were outside and some of the neighbor guys brought some brandy over and I got the lowdown on the neighborhood.

You casually threw that in, like you always do, like it's an outbreak of measles. That, coupled with the home invasions, drug dealings, I'm thinking of moving into your neighborhood. That is the problem. The kids have no boundaries, discipline, or guidance in their lives. Later in life, when they'll be called to task, they won't have the necessary skillset or discipline to compete in the real world. The cycle just keeps repeating itself. And of course, it'll be the rest of the world's fault for not adapting to the kids lifestyle.

HA ha ha....

This taken literally is a gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    HA ha ha....

This taken literally is a gas.
    Sorry I fail to see the humor, please tell me why it is a gas. I worry about neighborhood kids, they are important and need to know a community cares!!!

Sorry I fail to see the humor, please tell me why it is a gas. I worry about neighborhood kids, they are important and need to know a community cares!!!
    Paragraphs, paragraphs. They are your friend.

Well, I'll definitely agree that roads are far from Detroit's biggest problem. But as someone else mentioned, it would be a lot less annoying if this city had decent transit, or if all those dead ends weren't in dead neighborhoods.

But yeah, the economy and the culture of crime are the real enemies. There's no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Paragraphs, paragraphs. They are your friend.
    Sorry getting senile, your comments make no sense either.

Sorry getting senile, your comments make no sense either.
    It is like the church bulletin which says "This Sunday being Easter, the pastor will call Mrs Smith to come up and lay an egg on the altar."

It's all good. I know where you are coming from. It 's about the prose and if parsed, lends itself to an ironic allegory.

It's all good. I know where you are coming from. It 's about the prose and if parsed, lends itself to an ironic allegory.
    Well at least that sounds fun. Sorry my intentions are good and it does seem like I am a target these days. So BFD. I have made real and virtual friends on this forum. I am not leaving.

Well at least that sounds fun. Sorry my intentions are good and it does seem like I am a target these days. So BFD. I have made real and virtual friends on this forum. I am not leaving.
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!

Haven't you seen the sticky on using the F in your BFD?

You know this site could use some more funny and expressive emoticons.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!

Haven't you seen the sticky on using the F in your BFD?

You know this site could use some more funny and expressive emoticons.
    Sorry, I see tremendous wit and wisdom on this forum. It is not me, so mea culpa. Just an older perspective. I love my city, my home, my neighborhood. our kids. We live a pretty quiet life and the area kids really mean a lot to us.

Die hard Detroiters. So many problems but they can be addressed.

So I guess for arm chair non resident folk, I live my life , I improve my home, engage in community, engage area kids. I do something to improve quality of life, know my neighbors, isn't that what is important?

The worst aspect, to me, has to do with infrastructure. Had Detroit built up a rapid transit system early on [[1900s-1960s), or even up until the failed chances in the 70s and 90s, the city would look drastically different.

The loss of population and tax base could have been minimized, leading to less abandonment and perhpas prevented the freefall decline in city services. Some of the 1990s growth could have been funneled into the city rather than the suburbs and Detroit would probably look more typical as an urban center, rather than a shell.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    The worst aspect, to me, has to do with infrastructure. Had Detroit built up a rapid transit system early on [[1900s-1960s), or even up until the failed chances in the 70s and 90s, the city would look drastically different.

The loss of population and tax base could have been minimized, leading to less abandonment and perhpas prevented the freefall decline in city services. Some of the 1990s growth could have been funneled into the city rather than the suburbs and Detroit would probably look more typical as an urban center, rather than a shell.
    I don't think more transit would have made a huge difference. Middle class still would have left. Divisive, corrupt leadership didn't help the issue.