Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Funny, I used to tell my kids swearing was an attempt by ignorant people to express themselves forcefully in a futile fashion.
    Mama Detroitnerd used to scold that profanity was too vague, and urge the kids to "say exactly what makes you angry." Good advice for kids.

As for the adults, I believe it can be properly used to express anger ... as well as salty wit.

"When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear." —Mark Twain

Swearing is fun on occasion though. Just a simple vent.

Dyes has made a place for Detroiter's to express what they feel aside from other forums which constantly attack each other. Since I joined in 02 I've cut back on my f bombs but still use them when appropriate in a funny sentence. Using an f bomb to describe someone I felt has always been in-appropriate, attacking someone here has never been accepted and that's why I love it here. Not to say I haven't gone off on someone in the past but I've learned a lot here on how to properly socialize unlike other forums where its commonplace to degrade someone.

"Obscenity is the crutch of the inarticulate motherfucker"
    You know, I take pains to never call people names, as one is supposed to attack the argument and never the person, but I do find a good f bomb or two can really spice things up.

Also, it's sort of funny: Detroiters are some of the most casual swearers in the country it seems to me. I think Coleman Young once said this, but, used correctly, obscenity, profanity and vulgarity can be weaved into a statement that's pithy and empty of BS.

I remember the first time I started working in the city, I was puzzled by people calling me, in second person, a MFer. In my suburban existence, those had been fighting words. In the city, it was just a word for "guy." I looked it up in the dictionary once, and under that meaning, they quoted none other than Wayne Kramer to illustrate that meaning.

What happens when certain words are banned is that people simply substitute them for similar words. I observed this way back in my undergrad years at a religiously conservative university where certain words were vigorously banned.

I wrote a column for the school paper. My most popular column ever was one called, "How to Swear Like a Christian". Words like freaking, effin', bull crap, mother-flippin' and other substitutes common on campus peppered a mock conversation. No censorship ensued, only laughter.

Why certain words get anointed as naughty has always been a great mystery and puzzle to me. So I say, fuck it who cares. Are you being nice or mean when you speak is really what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    What happens when certain words are banned is that people simply substitute them for similar words. I observed this way back in my undergrad years at a religiously conservative university where certain words were vigorously banned.

I wrote a column for the school paper. My most popular column ever was one called, "How to Swear Like a Christian". Words like freaking, effin', bull crap, mother-flippin' and other substitutes common on campus peppered a mock conversation. No censorship ensued, only laughter.

Why certain words get anointed as naughty has always been a great mystery and puzzle to me. So I say, fuck it who cares. Are you being nice or mean when you speak is really what matters.
    Fuckin' eh, Lowell........

I have heard that academicians are among those most likely to use obscene language. Don't know if there's any f*ing truth to that or not

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Also, it's sort of funny: Detroiters are some of the most casual swearers in the country it seems to me. I think Coleman Young once said this, but, used correctly, obscenity, profanity and vulgarity can be weaved into a statement that's pithy and empty of BS.

I remember the first time I started working in the city, I was puzzled by people calling me, in second person, a MFer. In my suburban existence, those had been fighting words. In the city, it was just a word for "guy." I looked it up in the dictionary once, and under that meaning, they quoted none other than Wayne Kramer to illustrate that meaning.
    Some people like to get their panties in a bunch about every little thing.

Swearing has been used by people in the standard vernacular since the beginning of time. I don't expect grown adults to mince their words with other grown adults as if they're children. This is especially the case in a tough, gritty, blue-collar town like Detroit.

As long as the point they make is sound any of the swearing they do isn't directed towards me personally, there shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-15-14 at 11:30 AM.

Unless well-timed cuss words come off as coarse, like showing up in shorts, flip-flops and a rumpled tshirt at wedding or formal dinner. One can legally do it but... it appears as a desperate attempt at attention-getting and one is not taken seriously.

It seems to me that there is a difference between Anglo-Saxon-ish barnyard, bathroom and elimination fixation and the rare oath that can add depth and drama to an exclamation. Like the OP, I move immediately away and make a judgment of low character when people cannot stop using elimination and sexually-graphic language. I find myself unable to spend any time in the Sugar House merely because the blog is filled with that language [[the vernacular!) and so I can't think that I would like the atmosphere and I see that the people who run the pop-up Revolver as well use it online. I think it lowers them - but just me! The world is big and I can find other places to go and they can find less judgmental customers!

Detroiters, being card carrying members of the French Canadian catholic diaspora, should note that cursing doesn't become cogent persuasion until it involves the liturgy [[tabernac!) - Instruction booklet below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I have heard that academicians are among those most likely to use obscene language. Don't know if there's any f*ing truth to that or not
    I thought it was priests. I played hockey with a couple of them back in the day, and they taught me words I never heard at home.

Finally ......... an educational thread!

I adored my mother and rarely as a teen or adult used vulgarity around her. Strange though she found caca [[sp) exceptionable? Just means shit in Italian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2