Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

I did not know Miami's history as far as applying/conditional acceptance for a MLS franchise.

I assume Detroit is a 'slam dunk' [[bad metaphor?) if Gilbert-Gores get the jail site.

I'll do a little checking on Miami. Shouldn't be hard.

EDIT: Miami is pending awaiting outcome of the stadium proceedings [[which I now assume means they are a go). Miami should come on board 2020 or 2022. 2020 sounds reasonable as 3 years is enough time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_MLS_team

Quick pivot to Detroit: If the land deal can be completed by end of 2017 or even as late as one year from now, Gilbert-Gores shouldn't have trouble getting the stadium completed by spring 2020.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-15-17 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Quick pivot to Detroit: If the land deal can be completed by end of 2017 or even as late as one year from now, Gilbert-Gores shouldn't have trouble getting the stadium completed by spring 2020.
    They still might not get a Detroit stadium done by 2020; it will depend on design. While presumably work can start on the jail site pretty immediately after a positive decision, the plan can't be fully implemented until the other criminal justice buildings come down, which can't occur until replacements are built and habitable. So, ready for summer 2020 would be on a very tight schedule, unless the stadium proper [[and we have seen only a conceptual rendering, not a finalized design) would be built only on the jail's footprint. I think the likeliest scenario has the team in Ford Field for a year or so. And I think that will be more than fine with all parties.

Quote Originally Posted by ekleezy View Post
    I hope there's no desire to build a soccer stadium around 3rd and Temple. It's still a residential area and just a block away from Cass Tech. I think more residential or green space would be much better. Also, the billionaires and city gov brag about how adding a soccer stadium would make downtown Detroit the densest sports district. Temple and 3rd would just be ridiculously close to LCA though.
    Isn't a decision on the fail-jail site do before the end of the month???

I'm starting to think that 'District Detroit' can take care of itself over time through normal development progress.

This may sound [[whatever), but I would not be disappointed to see Gilbert get the fail jail site and build nothing but residential, etc. there and put a soccer stadium elsewhere. [[my big thing is to get the jail out of there).

Curious where the stadium would go if the fail jail site doesn't go to G-G?
    Don't know where 'Plan B' is.

Even though soccer is what 20 home games per season, the location would need to be in an area ripe for development. G-G would build a stadium and put housing, etc. next to it to jump start development.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-23-17 at 05:55 AM.

N.Y. Times has an article today with a lot of clarity about Miami's bid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/30/s...iami.html?_r=0

Bottom line: I think it is a done deal. The league and Beckham had an agreement in principle that he played and he gets the franchise dirt cheap.

Sounds like it will be decided Wednesday.

The hard part was acquiring the land for a stadium which Beckham and his group will pay.

The rest of the article details a lot of issues raised about pro sports, stadiums, enhancing [[or detracting) from the neighborhood, urban revitalization [[hint: Trump will not build anything in the Overton neighborhood), etc.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...yet/524955001/

Looks like the stadium will be built!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...yet/524955001/

Looks like the stadium will be built!
    The timing, yes today is the last day of July, is beautiful.

Reading the article I referenced about Miami, it appears that Miami will get their franchise Wednesday at a league meeting and, of course, team G/G can inform the league that they have a tentative deal to acquire the land they sought for their proposed stadium.

It is important that G/Gs let the league know that the train is moving down the track and things like good.

I'm not so sure. I read this as they are committed to looking into the proposal. Another delay tactic.

I want to make this paragraph a separate post because it is critical to understand the plans to build, when and when a Detroit team would have a dedicated stadium to play:

"Gilbert also outlined the timeline for the project, saying the company expects the county to reach an agreement with the city for land control of the Warren/Detroit Department of Transportation site by Sept. 15. Construction would begin March 6, 2018, and be completed Nov. 5, 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I'm not so sure. I read this as they are committed to looking into the proposal. Another delay tactic.
    I didn't get that impression.

I got the impression that talks with the city went well. They still have hurdles like the IRS.

I got the impression that it is a 'good faith' agreement to try and make the proposal work although there could be factors which could derail the plans.

These things are never easy...

I didn't get that impression.

I got the impression that talks with the city went well. They still have hurdles like the IRS.

I got the impression that it is a 'good faith' agreement to try and make the proposal work although there could be factors which could derail the plans.

These things are never easy...
    I would agree also, MLS at fail jail looks like a go.

Nothing left but crossing the T's and dotting the I's and of course the posturing by Evans of 'we have not been a pushover on this deal or will we be in future'. Really can't blame him for that one bit all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I would agree also, MLS at fail jail looks like a go.

Nothing left but crossing the T's and dotting the I's and of course the posturing by Evans of 'we have not been a pushover on this deal or will we be in future'. Really can't blame him for that one bit all things considered.
    No, you can't blame him, I agree. Detroit has enough push-overs that end up screwing over the taxpayer to help billionaires. Let's hope the final deal is a good and fair deal for everyone involved.

For the sake of discussion, if this deal comes to pass [[is completed), and Hudson's site is built and the Farmer site built [[Gilbert is a player or the player in all three), then those are the big 3 downtown parcels along or east of Woodward would have great buildings. That's a home run for Detroit.

This is really great news on all fronts in my opinion. Not to be forgotten, we'll have brand new, more and better criminal justice facilities. I love how each positive development note is just followed by others.

I also think that with the new mega-development apparently on tap [[I know it could fall through still, but it is in every stakeholder's interests that it not), the plan for I-375's future should be very carefully considered. It is on the development's doorstep. Improving street grid connection to the East should be thought out.

For the sake of discussion, if this deal comes to pass [[is completed), and Hudson's site is built and the Farmer site built [[Gilbert is a player or the player in all three), then those are the big 3 downtown parcels along or east of Woodward would have great buildings. That's a home run for Detroit.
    Don't forget City Modern. That's $100M

According to this article, it looks like December when the first round of decisions will be made.

L.A. and Miami are locks for 2020.

Seems four cities might be front runners for the next batch. Detroit was named as a presumed front runner.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/20...int/539027001/

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Don't forget City Modern. That's $100M
    SammyS, I didn't include City Modern as it isn't in downtown. I was using Woodward and the freeways for the boundaries.

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/08/...l-host-cities/

I am not shocked to see Detroit on this list. If the Silverdome and it's isolation was good enough to get a bid, surely Ford Field is good enough to stay in the running. However, maintaining real grass indoors is no longer a novelty, so I think Phoenix and Dallas would have the upper hand as far as indoor facilities go. But who knows...Detroit does have a world cup history.

This would be great if U.S, Mexico and Canada get it [[World Cup) and maybe L.A. hosting the finals in advance of the 2028 Olympics as Rio did.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-15-17 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/08/...l-host-cities/

I am not shocked to see Detroit on this list. If the Silverdome and it's isolation was good enough to get a bid, surely Ford Field is good enough to stay in the running. However, maintaining real grass indoors is no longer a novelty, so I think Phoenix and Dallas would have the upper hand as far as indoor facilities go. But who knows...Detroit does have a world cup history.
    I'm unaware of any stadium with indoor grass. The baseball parks have retractable roofs that are only closed when it rains during games. Toronto has been trying to put grass in Rogers Centre for years but because the roof must be closed most of the time they say it can't be done without hundreds of millions for artificial lighting a few feet above the grass and heating beneath. You can put it in for a couple of weeks at a time only. Even if they can play at Ford Field, how do you handle the 2-3 month overlap in the schedules?
    Last edited by 401don; September-09-17 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm unaware of any stadium with indoor grass. The baseball parks have retractable roofs that are only closed when it rains during games. Toronto has been trying to put grass in Rogers Centre for years but because the roof must be closed most of the time they say it can't be done without hundreds of millions for artificial lighting a few feet above the grass and heating beneath. You can put it in for a couple of weeks at a time only. Even if they can play at Ford Field, how do you handle the 2-3 month overlap in the schedules?
    I was specifically thinking if Phoenix and Houston, with Dallas as an added bonus as they have done the live grass indoors in the past. I get that these are returning roof stadiums, but I follow sports extremely close and that's things are almost always closed, even when they have real grass indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I was specifically thinking if Phoenix and Houston, with Dallas as an added bonus as they have done the live grass indoors in the past. I get that these are returning roof stadiums, but I follow sports extremely close and that's things are almost always closed, even when they have real grass indoors.
    I was pointing out that it can't be done at Ford Field currently. Believe it or not Phoenix actually grows their grass outdoors and rolls it into the stadium.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...uevCkXvdQrZLkw

Here is an article about the explosive growth of pro soccer in some U.S. cities.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-...82879435927460

What I find most difficult about having a soccer stadium surrounding by tall buildings is what happens is if 15 - 20 years the stadium is too small?

It is very possible that in 2037 the typical size for a MLS stadium might not be 25K, but say 50K.

Then what?????

[[many believe that the NFL has already 'peaked out' attendance wise and that the next 'growth sport' will be soccer).

What I find most difficult about having a soccer stadium surrounding by tall buildings is what happens is if 15 - 20 years the stadium is too small?
    Simple. Tear down all the tall buildings and build more parking lots. Then downtown will really be humming.

There's also an upcoming professional U.S. cricket league, with cities currently being selected. Downtown needs to get in on that, pronto. Can you imagine the insane vibrancy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Simple. Tear down all the tall buildings and build more parking lots. Then downtown will really be humming.
    Nah, just more green space between the buildings. Workers need some place for lunch....

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast