Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
I oppose another soccer club in Detroit, as I think it will ultimately hinder Detroit's chances of landing an MLS team in the near term. I think Detroit can sustain an MLS franchise. The best place to put a stadium, in my opinion, would be the Tiger Stadium site. The land in Midtown just north of the new hockey arena or downtown west of the Fox could work, too, but the land values are jumping too quickly. As others have noted, MLS now has a working business model, attendance is strong for most of the league [[huge in Seattle!), and there is an abundant, mostly low-level soccer culture in Detroit. National TV rights for MLS are sought after; MLS also airs on cable sports or local broadcast TV & radio in every market. Having another minor league team raises the risk that if it doesn't succeed, it will be thought we can't support an MLS team; if it does succeed, people will think the soccer market is over-saturated in Detroit.
I'm not sure if I'm following this correctly:

Duggan [[mayor's bro) owns an amateur team in Pontiac with a working agreement for the Columbus team.

Does that team get moved?

Why would Duggan want to own two teams competing with each other? Could the Pontiac team could become a feeder for the Detroit team? What would be the financial implications of giving up a working agreement with the Columbus team?

And maybe bigger what happens to the Detroit fourth tier team that Duggan does NOT own???? Would Duggan buy the team out [[e.g., franchise and players)??

Stock a new team with the best players from the Pontiac and Detroit teams????