Go ahead and call me a bleeding heart liberal... no, please do. I'm proud of it. And this new report just appalls me. Michigan ranks 3rd from last, only ahead of Mississippi and Wisconsin, and behind Louisiana and Arkansas.

Of the 5 lowest ranking states, 4 are controlled by a Republican governor, state house and state senate. Arkansas has a Democratic governor, but a Republican-controlled state house and senate.

Coincidence?

The well-being of African-American children in Michigan is among the worst in the nation, according to a report to be released today.
The Kids Count report found only Mississippi and Wisconsin fared worse than the Wolverine state, based on 12 criteria, including normal birth weights, education of parents and the number of children living at or above poverty.
“For us to be third lowest in the country was pretty shocking,” said Jane Zehnder-Merrell, director of the Kids Count in Michigan project at the Michigan League for Public Policy in Lansing. “The country doesn’t look very good either.”
The national average score is 345 points out of a possible 1,000. Michigan’s score was 244.

Full article from The Detroit News here:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2xf28mMyR