Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    what a joke anothe bar thas sure is not retail, if i want to go to a bar with games i can go to Dave and Busters in the Burbs, Hey Dan where is your Apple Store,
    I looked at the prices at the other two llocations, its too expensive, and two locations is not national give this place a year or less
    First, this isn't really like Dave & Busters. D&B is a ticket arcade with games like DDR, SkeeBall, Need For Speed, etc that mostly caters to families. This has bar games like pool, darts, ping pong, and shuffleboard [[plus bowling) that caters more toward young adults.

Second, even if it does serve the same clientele, not everyone drive out to the burbs to hang out. People want to hang around after work and do something. Or all the people that live in the area want some entertainment venues that aren't event-driven around.

Third, it's not too expensive... Looking at the Denver site, food is arond $10-15 for the most part. Games are all around $15 or for two people per hour. Drinks are all $10 or leass, beers are $5 or less.

I agree with those that are saying, at least to some extent, that they're being a bit misleading. "National Retailer" is certainly a bit loose here, but this is great news and definitely hits a market that can be served. I know I will be checking it out when they open.

Yikes...bunch of whining going on in here. Look forward to this development and I'll be sure to check it out. Pretty bummed that the Y really kills off a constant entertainment scene on the north and south end of Broadway.

"As for the remaining 15,000 square feet of retail space in The Z, Bedrock’s vice president of development, Dan Mullen, said Wednesday that the company will be announcing 10 new stores over the next two months."

another quote from crain's.. YOU GUYS WILL GET YOUR CLOTHES DOWNTOWN SOON ENOUGH

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    "Dan Mullen, vice president of development for Bedrock, said more announcements will be coming in the weeks ahead, including both men’s and women’s clothing stores and a mix of local and national retailers."

http://www.freep.com/article/2014040...it-Dan-Gilbert

sheesh relax guys
    That is good to hear, but they've also been saying that kind of stuff for a while, and have yet to really produce anything tangible, so I understand the skepticism.

"Dan Mullen, vice president of development for Bedrock, said more announcements will be coming in the weeks ahead, including both men’s and women’s clothing stores and a mix of local and national retailers."

http://www.freep.com/article/2014040...it-Dan-Gilbert

sheesh relax guys
    I'm not upset, but don't you get tired the silly claims regarding these "developments"?
    The company, which is the real estate arm of Quicken Loans founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert, said Tuesday that the media will be given an overview of the “national retailer’s plans for Detroit,” but did not name the new tenant
    A bar with 2 operating locations out west is not a "national retailer". There was no reason for it to be claimed as such.

It would have been just fine to announce the bar without all the hoopla about a "National Retailer" because now that they did, it undercuts any credibility on these claims that they're ever going to announce one..... all I'm saying.
    Last edited by bailey; April-02-14 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    That is good to hear, but they've also been saying that kind of stuff for a while, and have yet to really produce anything tangible, so I understand the skepticism.

I mean the building opened in January. it's been just over 3 months. I know they did say at the beginning when it opened they would announce their tenants 'soon'... Bedrock is usually pretty good about actually backing up their talk...

except for that whole papa joes downtown fiasco.. that was a shitshow indeed

I mean the building opened in January. it's been just over 3 months. I know they did say at the beginning when it opened they would announce their tenants 'soon'... Bedrock is usually pretty good about actually backing up their talk...

except for that whole papa joes downtown fiasco.. that was a shitshow indeed
    They've been talking about bringing national retailers downtown since they got behind City Loft and Moosejaw and Papa Joes... it's not just since the Z building.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    They've been talking about bringing national retailers downtown since they got behind City Loft and Moosejaw and Papa Joes... it's not just since the Z building.

whoops i thought he meant specifically bringing people to the Z building.. but yeah you're right about that... i mean they've made sooome progress... first they brought the day-time working population.. check...

.. now they're definitely [[it seems like) trying to push people to live downtown.. for each of their high-profile projects on tap [[Fail Jail site, Hudson) they mention residence as a major part of them...

then when the permanent population downtown goes up it'll be easier to get the national tenants that everyone seems to be craving.

Listen I'm just not one to complain when a company is sinking so much money into a city. People forget that they could very easily be in the burbs and making more money with a wider profit marign

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Gilbert has been talking downtown retail since 2008, when he announced the move downtown. So far, nothing.

Moosejaw is on a month-to-month lease and only open limited hours; Papa Joes pulled out and is not opening.

What does it tell you when a smart, energetic, super-committed billionaire with the werewhethal to essentially offer all retail space below-cost or even free cannot get anyone to sign up for downtown retail?

I'm gonna stand up and say this is great news. We DESPERATELY need places in the city where you can have fun that aren't exclusively about eating/drinking or stuffy, elitist art galleries. Obviously, this place is gonna push alcohol, but if I don't feel like drinking, I can still enjoy darts, ping pong, arcade games, and etc.

It's interesting that their website doesn't explicitly mention billiards anywhere. You'd think that would be a gimme given their theme, but perhaps not.

Of course, a retailer like Target would be HUGE, but I still think this is a step in the right direction.

This is why projects like the Statler apartments, Foundation Hotel, David Whitney Building, and Griswold Apartments are so important. It's clear there aren't enough folks downtown 24/7 to support many types of retail, but as supply grows hopefully we start seeing new retail options.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Gilbert has been talking downtown retail since 2008, when he announced the move downtown. So far, nothing.

Moosejaw is on a month-to-month lease and only open limited hours; Papa Joes pulled out and is not opening.

What does it tell you when a smart, energetic, super-committed billionaire with the werewhethal to essentially offer all retail space below-cost or even free cannot get anyone to sign up for downtown retail?
    At least it's not something you can find in the burbs or ANYWHERE else in the states.
    i hear that that his goal is to bring in things that aren't easily found in every suburb , so he's being somewhat picky on what he wants to open in his buildings-something that will attract a younger hipper, non Walmart,meijers,target crowd, not that there's anything wrong with that ,but he's trying to attract a younger non judgmental suburban crowd .
    Also you notice he's not courting Applebee's , chili's,olive garden, and the likes,you can find then in any typical suburb , those places have to fight and pay top dollar to be in prime areas in NYC,LA,Chicago San Fran, ect
    In most top 10 cities the locals snub those cheesy places ,most civilized downtown folks wouldn't be caught dead in those places .
    Last edited by Detroitdave; April-02-14 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Edit

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I'm gonna stand up and say this is great news. We DESPERATELY need places in the city where you can have fun that aren't exclusively about eating/drinking or stuffy, elitist art galleries. Obviously, this place is gonna push alcohol, but if I don't feel like drinking, I can still enjoy darts, ping pong, arcade games, and etc.

It's interesting that their website doesn't explicitly mention billiards anywhere. You'd think that would be a gimme given their theme, but perhaps not.

Of course, a retailer like Target would be HUGE, but I still think this is a step in the right direction.
    How I feel as well. We all wish there is more retail, but nonetheless clearly we are moving in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    At least it's not something you can find in the burbs or ANYWHERE else in the states.
    These types of bar-and-amuseument venues have been around for decades. There was Jillians, now there's Dave and Busters. This is the same thing. It's an adult Chuck E Cheese.

I like the menu, diverse – from Vietnamese Banh Minh to Beef Tongue sandwiches – which I haven’t had since I was a kid in Boston – this menu and restaurant deserve a look. I noticed a section in the menu titled Locally Sourced – this section plugs the local purveyors that Punch Bowl Social trades with in the Portland area. Breakfast is served all day, there is a breakfast drinks section as well – hard.
    The pricing is similar [[slightly cheaper) to Zingerman’s – I only compared a couple of items; specifically burgers and the mac and cheese.
    I think this is a nice restaurant, with a full bar, and a unique menu.

These types of bar-and-amuseument venues have been around for decades. There was Jillians, now there's Dave and Busters. This is the same thing. It's an adult Chuck E Cheese.

alright buddy.. then you can just stick to birmingham and we'll be just fine without you in detroit

we don't want you here anyways

we don't want you here anyways
    Yeah, you're right, downtown bars don't need suburbanites.

I mean, Detroiters probably comprise 5% of the Comerica Park/JLA/Ford Field crowds. With numbers like that, who needs anyone else?

I mean, Detroiters probably comprise 5% of the Comerica Park/JLA/Ford Field crowds. With numbers like that, who needs anyone else?
    Yep, your views clearly represent all suburbanites. Seriously, who perpetually craps in your Wheaties?

hahah damn man... not gonna lie you sound like a really annoying person to be around. anyone who ever loved you was wrong!

No, they are three different business models in the same category. As I said before, these are bar games, not ticket arcades. Bars have billiards, bowling, darts, shuffleboard, etc all the time. This one just bring the focus on that more than the alcohol/food itself. They're all entertainment facilities that focus on games, but they're hardly similar. Not a lot of venues like PBS out there.

Chuck E Cheese is for kids, D&B is for families, PBS is for adults.

[[not sure what Jillians is).

hahah damn man... not gonna lie you sound like a really annoying person to be around. anyone who ever loved you was wrong!
    that was harsh!

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    that was harsh!
    Haha I kid I kid. But we do have some bitter people posting today that's for sure

Is SpartanDawg and Spartan the same person?

This is great news! I know people were hoping for shopping, but bars and eateries are usually the first arrivals before business districts grow into more diverse commercial centers. It's still going to take time, but there's more jobs and more places to eat.

As far as the retail terminology, it's technically not a retailer because the final product sold to the customer is prepared on site. That's at least from a municipal regulatory standpoint. From a business and marketing perspective, saying "retailer" is ok out of convenience

I still day that a City Target could fit inside the Z building or the New Center One building. We just need a good transit system to bring shoppers to downtown Midtown

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast