Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Early reports indicate that opening day saved Brush Park! Lower Cass Corridor is next as Ilitch makes his move for a new hockey arena!

I would be more excited when I see more hustle and bustle downtown due to people walking from one retail store to another or workers and commuters going to and fro their place of employement downtown or catch a bus or rail in and out of downtown.

It was really great seeing the enormous crowd jamming all of downtown but I must admit I couldn't believe the amount of totally wasted people. At night I was looking over downtown from my highrise watching the enormous flow of traffic leaving from all the days festivities. It then dawned on me that probably half of these drivers are wayy to drunk to be driving. Pretty scary when you think about it. Glad I just walk but you have to be careful especially at intersections.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would be more excited when I see more hustle and bustle downtown due to people walking from one retail store to another or workers and commuters going to and fro their place of employement downtown or catch a bus or rail in and out of downtown.
    Agreed, but we still have a long ways to go until that point.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agreed, but we still have a long ways to go until that point.
    I disagree. Downtown Detroitvhas the work and play crowd. It is just missing retail. Moosejaw is a start but need more retail stores

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I disagree. Downtown Detroitvhas the work and play crowd. It is just missing retail. Moosejaw is a start but need more retail stores
    You can't be serious but if you are my guess is you haven't been to a major city recently or you have very low expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    It was really great seeing the enormous crowd jamming all of downtown but I must admit I couldn't believe the amount of totally wasted people. At night I was looking over downtown from my highrise watching the enormous flow of traffic leaving from all the days festivities. It then dawned on me that probably half of these drivers are wayy to drunk to be driving. Pretty scary when you think about it. Glad I just walk but you have to be careful especially at intersections.
    What's the deal with this? I have several friends who have been busted for a DUI after drinking a normal amount of alcohol in Oakland County. Do they Oakland cops just look the other way as their residents swerve back up 75 on Opening Day? I mean you literally have a caravan of severely drunk people driving the entire day.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    You can't be serious but if you are my guess is you haven't been to a major city recently or you have very low expectations.
    ^^^Pretty much.

Things may be improved from how they were in the mid-1990s through the mid-2000s, but downtown is still nowhere near the level of critical mass you typically see in other major city CBDs across America.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    I know a lady who works in the Fox building and has been there about 20 yrs. She said this was the worst Opening Day since Comerica opened. She told me they had to close the lobby doors because there were people passed out drunk in the lobby. They didn't want more drunk people coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I know a lady who works in the Fox building and has been there about 20 yrs. She said this was the worst Opening Day since Comerica opened. She told me they had to close the lobby doors because there were people passed out drunk in the lobby. They didn't want more drunk people coming in.
    I hope they @ least rolled the ones that had already gotten in.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2