Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

PQZ, take a breath man. It sounds like you're taking the speculation a little close to your heart. I have no doubt you've got the paper cut scars to prove you've worked hard on the re-development of some premier spots downtown.

The snarky comments come from being in the dark for so long. You may think the George Johnsons have done a great job with communication, but alas, that is not quite the case. The simple fact that Bobby Ferguson broke bread with you folks, gives people enough legit ammunition for a life time of pot shots. You might not agree, but that's a fact.

Now, you have an opportunity to turn a huge number of people to your cause.

Don't blow it by taking the snarks so personally. Your anger re-enforces current opinions and weakens your goal of spreading the gospel.

We lived on the 5th floor. I hope they're enjoying the fruits of our labor. I was up there a couple years ago to pick up some stuff and it was still empty although it had clearly been squatted in. I guess I should have gotten my bar stools out earlier. D'oh.

PQZ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    PQZ, take a breath man. It sounds like you're taking the speculation a little close to your heart. I have no doubt you've got the paper cut scars to prove you've worked hard on the re-development of some premier spots downtown.

The snarky comments come from being in the dark for so long. You may think the George Johnsons have done a great job with communication, but alas, that is not quite the case. The simple fact that Bobby Ferguson broke bread with you folks, gives people enough legit ammunition for a life time of pot shots. You might not agree, but that's a fact.

Now, you have an opportunity to turn a huge number of people to your cause.

Don't blow it by taking the snarks so personally. Your anger re-enforces current opinions and weakens your goal of spreading the gospel.
    Its not anger lil' feller and I'm not taking the snarks personally - although it appears some folks are taking my snarks personally. And really, if people can start a snarky thread, they have no room to cry foul when snark is returned.

Its also not my "cause" and I am not "turning" peoples opinion. I am simply pointing facts and reality of what goes on in the development world and how projects get done. People can do with that as they wish.

If the DDA is a public agency and buys a building with public money, doesn't it then need to issue an rfp rather than designate it directly to a single chosen developer?

Quote Originally Posted by PQZ View Post
    I'm a jerk for pointing out the likely deal structure? I'm a jerk for asking if any one who claims to "love" Detroit actually bothered to lift a finger to find out about something? I'm a jerk for reminding people that the DDA has purchased buildings numerous times in the past to facilitate projects the average DetroitYes poster gets all giddy about?

PQZ, the key word here is "likely". You make some great suggestions, but have you yourself bothered to check out what is happening with this building? You offer a lot of "possibilities" about the deal but no real concrete facts, just guesses and suggestions. You criticize people for not doing "the work" to find out what is happening, yet you yourself are also guilty of this. You know about as much as we do. GJ & the DDA are terrible at publicity. If this was a project for the good of the city, wouldn't we hear more about it? Wouldn't they want to announce these things for the betterment of their agency & their causes? You are backing up something you too know nothing about.

Um, did anyone read the article? It said there was no quorum present. So no official action happened, including an agreement. So the building stands as is for now.

As for "government transparency", the DDA/DEGC is in the stone age with transparency. Most local governments & their boards/commissions today post their meeting schedule for the year, special meetings, agendas, minutes and, in some cases, the whole board packet online well in advance of the meeting.

"As for "government transparency", the DDA/DEGC is in the stone age with transparency."

Very true. Go to the city or DEGC web site and see if you can find any listing of the DDA board members or their budget or any way to contact them. Wouldn't the DEGC have their bosses listed? Or how about a list of public meetings and hearings? No? Nothing? There are DDA documents related to budgets and plans on the city's web site when they are presented to the Council committees to review. If you're persistent you can find them. Most people will give up though.

I just came across this thread and had to register specifically to participate in this one, as I have a unique perspective.

I have worked at the Whiteroom recording studios in the Capitol Park Building [[1145 Griswold) for the last 5.5 years or so. I've developed a particular fascination with the area and its potential. News of the sale of the building is a little unnerving to me - I hope sincerely that they don't try to tear it down like the Lafayette. Sure, the building is in fairly bad shape, and I really have no idea what it would take to revitalize it, but it is a piece of history and that alone, I feel, is important to Detroit and its roots.

With the impending closing of the studio [[having been in operation for over 20 years), what is certainly the end of a significant era for Detroit music is simultaneously the potential beginning of a new one. I have been dreaming up a new use for the studio space as well as other floors of the building for a while now. So much could be done to utilize the space for music practice and recording, as well as setting up artist studios, screenprinting, design studios... you name it! I wish, as it seems like many of you do, that transparent information on just what is happening to this building and others were more readily available. I can't imagine that the DDA and such would want to preserve this historic studio and expand into what could be a vital center for arts and music in the community - rather than gut it [[or raze it) and put up a bunch of overpriced condos.

It will be exciting to see what develops in the area. I hope to be a part of it as far as art and music in the community goes... though I'm also trying to brace myself for what could be utterly disappointing news.

I hope we can keep this thread alive with any news that anyone finds out. I'll certainly be looking for information however I can and will share it with this community. That's my two cents for now... surely more to come!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2