Hello Detroityes community,
I have been reading post here for a bit. Last night I signed up so I could get feedback on my decision to possibly move to Hamtramck. I have been doing as much research on the town as I can online, but there is only so much info online. I understand that it has a fair amount of crime, but I am from St.Louis and just like Detroit we get a bad reputation if you listen to the media,even though the vast majority of St.Louis is not bad at all. It seems Hamtramck is very walkable, which is great for me because I love to ride my bike. I may even sell my car and just go with my bike because car insurance up there seems to be insanely high compared to what I am used to. Although I am concerned with the ease of getting to downtown if I should need to get there. Property tax is also much higher than I am used to, but the affordability of the property seems to balance it out. I have been looking at a few multifamily properties online and I think that maybe what I may end up getting.Anyone have an idea what homeowner insurance cost up there, is it similiarly high like the auto insurance. Also as far as rental units go, what utilities does the owner provide, In St.Louis the owner usually includes water,sewer and trash in the rent. Anyone who has any feedback on Hamtramck good or bad I would be interested in hearing from you. Favorite places in town, streets that are good, parts of town to stay away from. I am trying to get as much info as possible so I can make a sound decision.
Thanks,
Steve