Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    From the Detroit Rec. Dept.'s Belle Isle website:

"One of the first changes Detroit residents and others will see is an $11 annual fee, which allows entry into all state parks. The fee will be gradually phased in during the first year of state management of Belle Isle.

Individuals who walk, bike or jog to the island will not have to pay the entry fee."

I guess they're still phasing in. I know there's been an open question as to whether or not it is practical to collect the fee directly [[like with some sort of toll gate), or if another system could be used that would allow for a freer flow of traffic.
    This $11 fee is a great idea. But I think it should be higher to keep the riff-raff out.

probably be a tollbooth, just no one in it 90% of the time. it'll just be some state park cop driving around checking for tags, if you aint got a tag thats a $50-$100 ticket. bam.

metropark police same thing. real pain in the ass.

I really hope there is no toll booth. The last thing we need is traffic backed up for a mile in the middle of July. I have tried to read everything I could about this and I've seen nothing official even hinting at a toll booth. On the other hand, I've seen nothing saying NO toll booth. I did see one reference somewhere on the state website that there will be an office where you can purchase a day pass or a yearly tag, but that was not described as toll booth. From everything I've seen it will just be hit or miss, if you get stopped and don't have the tag, you will get some kind of citation. That's the way it is at most state parks I've visited. Even when they do have a toll booth it is usually unmanned.

I didn't agree with any of this, but I think it's only fair that the people who wanted the fee-based park, to keep out the poor people, should have their toll house. They demanded it. And, though I disagreed, they should get what they wanted.

Basically it's gonna be an honor system. How do you think that's gonna fly?

In state parks the booth is usually manned and dealing with campers. You can drive through with just a wave if your just visiting.

Then out of season it's self serve. With the staff coming through in throughout the day.

Belle Isle is gonna be a evolving situation.

What's it like at the river front park, is it Milliken?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Basically it's gonna be an honor system. How do you think that's gonna fly?

In state parks the booth is usually manned and dealing with campers. You can drive through with just a wave if your just visiting.

Then out of season it's self serve. With the staff coming through in throughout the day.

Belle Isle is gonna be a evolving situation.

its not gonna be an honor system. There are already reports of MSP stopping cars and having them towed for bad plates. I'm quite sure they will be driving around, ticketing cars with no passport, and having cars towed when necessary.

Here is what I found when I did a lap on the island on a bitter winter day a couple of weeks ago. The only State presence was a closed freight container-looking office but, aha, a State Trooper lurking in the median at the fork in the road.

Here he is blown up.

There was nothing else. No one stopped me or checked me out.

My guess is that they may only enforce this when it gets busy enough to pay for it. Right now it appears they will be content to earn money from speeding tickets.

Another approach would be to let cars on then go around and issue tickets to cars without state park tabs.

And, yes, I have a state park tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I didn't agree with any of this, but I think it's only fair that the people who wanted the fee-based park, to keep out the poor people, should have their toll house. They demanded it. And, though I disagreed, they should get what they wanted.
    I couldn't agree more. If you want to charge people to get into their park, at least be upfront and fair about what you're doing. Put up the gates and let the traffic back up if that's what's going to happen. If that many people are lining up to pay the fee, then I guess the project is successful.

Certainly seems a whole lot better than the stealth "honor system" approach to selectively making dough off of whatever "riff-raff" the state cops feel like hassling or throwing out of the park on any particular day. They wanted to keep us out before we got in, so have at it.

The honor system enforcement isn't just a Belle Isle thing. Since the State switched over to the annual $11 fee the number of manned toll booths has drastically decreased. The only places you tend to see them now are parks that are very busy, major boat launches and improved campgrounds. Now they normally just go though parking lots and ticket cars without the tab or sticker, even then I think all you have to do is buy the $11 sticker to clear the ticket. As others have mentioned I think the DNR is going to give more leeway than usual to visitors on Belle Isle [[at least for the first few years).

As for the state being less tolerant of some park activities [[Like late night drinking and 420). Those wishing to partake in such things can always visit one of the other Detroit parks where it's bound to be business as usual.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-25-14 at 07:15 PM.

I thought I read somewhere that there was going to be a 90 or 120 day transition period where the "new" rules and fee would not be enforced and that period was starting on Mar 1

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    That's fair. My anger and frustration got the best of me, and I offer my apologies.

After thinking about it for sometime, the sentiment I'm trying to convey is thus: Any public policy change will inevitably have some people who are positively affected and others who are negatively affected. Or as Abe Lincoln put it, "...you cannot make all of the people happy all of the time."

In looking at the progress to date, there are some winners and losers -- so far.

Winners:

- The City of Detroit, which is saving money that was being used to operate the park which can now be re-focused elsewhere. We can disagree about whether or not it's enough money to justify the change, but that's for the end of this post. Right now, I'm just listing those who will benefit and those who will be hurt.

- Parkgoers [[contrast with residents) who are seeing millions of dollars pumped inot the park to better improve the experience for all who are there.

Losers:

- The City of Detroit civic leaders, who no longer have the prestige and political leverage [[whatever leverage was left) from operating the park.

- Early Risers and Night Owls, who are now having to put up with later openings and earlier closings.

- Drinkers who now will have to get advance permits before indulging in alcohol.

- 4:20 - Stepped up law enforcement likely means that unless you've got brownies, you'll see a sharp decrease in marijuana consumption.

- Ridin Dirty -- drivers with unregistered plates or outstanding warrants will encounter higher levels of enforcement than before.

- Driving Wallet Watchers [[and also, for now, the very very poor) who lament having to pay [[or being unable to pay) the $11 per year to gain access to the park. Yes, biking onto the park is free, as is walking. But bus access is left wanting.

- Subs on Wheels. Looking for a venue to turn up the bass? Belle Isle is no longer your home.

So we have some winners, and we have some losers. I think the losses suffered in the change are far outweighed by the gains we get in the process.

But that's just me, and I'm biased because my team comes out ahead in all this. I'm open to other thinking on it. Did I miss any losers or winners?

This :-) all the above is VERY ture
    I was on the isle today registering for my family summer family reunion and all the above is very true.
    all the stuff that use to be allow on was allow to go on will stop
    State troppers and state park guards are cracking down on folks without proper license plates , tags ,ect
    They will be towing cars , so the days of free loading and driving with out proper papers on the isle are pretty much over .
    Also you will need a permit for alcohol and beer .
    The entire summer weekend for resreving sheds is almost full ! act fast !

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Here is what I found when I did a lap on the island on a bitter winter day a couple of weeks ago. The only State presence was a closed freight container-looking office but, aha, a State Trooper lurking in the median at the fork in the road.

Here he is blown up.

There was nothing else. No one stopped me or checked me out.

My guess is that they may only enforce this when it gets busy enough to pay for it. Right now it appears they will be content to earn money from speeding tickets.

Another approach would be to let cars on then go around and issue tickets to cars without state park tabs.

And, yes, I have a state park tab.
    What is that Lowell, a policecar? It's been a while since I've seen one of those on Belle Isle. I mean, especially since this one actually looks like it's doing something, besides joy-riding.

Last Sat a security guy with a uniform was at that little shack near the landscape clock and was stopping and asking everyone where they were going on the island. I asked if he worked for the DNR and he said no he was "private" security.
    I think they are likely doing headcounts and surveying people to see the usage on the island before they set up the permanent entrance station next February. I heard that is when they will check everyone for "tags" and start charging the $8.00 daily fee if you don't have the tag.

Quote Originally Posted by esighed View Post
    Last Sat a security guy with a uniform was at that little shack near the landscape clock and was stopping and asking everyone where they were going on the island. I asked if he worked for the DNR and he said no he was "private" security.
    I think they are likely doing headcounts and surveying people to see the usage on the island before they set up the permanent entrance station next February. I heard that is when they will check everyone for "tags" and start charging the $8.00 daily fee if you don't have the tag.
    I've seen semi trailers parked on Penske's concrete pod for a few weeks now. Are you sure he wasn't from the Penske's Grand Prix group?

Question... are annual passes available from State Park entrance booths? Or do they only sell the day passes? It would be nice to have a pass that stays with YOU and not your VEHICLE....

From the DNR website, Belle Isle section: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...025---,00.html
    • Access now through January 2015
      The Recreation Passport is directly tied to your Michigan vehicle license plate registration renewal. Throughout Belle Isle's first year of the Recreation Passport requirement, a vehicle can access the island without a Recreation Passport until the owner's next registration renewal date. For example, if a vehicle license plate registration renewal date is August 2014, then the Passport is not needed on that vehicle until August. Likewise, if the renewal date is December 2014, then the Passport is not needed until December. Once a full year has cycled [[February 2015), all vehicles entering the park must have a Recreation Passport.

What is a Recreation Passport?

The Recreation Passport, introduced in 2010, is a new way to fund programs for state parks, recreation areas, state forest campgrounds and non-motorized trail head and boat launch parking and to assist in improving state historic sites and your neighborhood and city parks.
    For what duration of time is my Recreation Passports valid?

A Recreation Passport is valid until your vehicle's next license plate registration renewal date. This includes both Recreation Passports purchased through the Secretary of State or at a state park or recreation area.
    How much does a Recreation Passport cost?

• Michigan-registered vehicles: $11
    • Michigan-registered motorcycles: $5
    • Non-Michigan registered vehicles: $31.10
    • Non-Michigan registered vehicles daily pass: $8.55 [[Daily passes are not available for Michigan-registered vehicles.)
    • Buses: $16.10

Where can I purchase a Recreation Passport?

• Secretary of State
      Check "YES" for the Recreation Passport when renewing your license plate registration with the Secretary of State. Renewal options with the Secretary of State include in-person at branch offices or by kiosk, online or mail.
    • State parks or recreation areas
      Recreation Passports are available at state parks and recreation areas, including Belle Isle Park.
    • At Belle Isle Park
      Recreation Passports at Belle Isle Park are available for purchase in a mobile contact station identified with a DNR logo, located in front of the second loop connecting Sunset Drive and Picnic Way just north of the McArthur Bridge. This is a temporary location. A permanent on-island location will be identified soon.
    • Non-Michigan registered vehicle purchase options
      Owners of non-Michigan registered vehicles can purchase a Recreation Passport at a state park or recreation area - including at Belle Isle Park - or online at www.michigan.gov/estore. Recreation Passports are not available online for Michigan-registered vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Question... are annual passes available from State Park entrance booths? Or do they only sell the day passes? It would be nice to have a pass that stays with YOU and not your VEHICLE....
    Ha there was a time not too long ago you got a decal that you placed on your windshield. I would take a piece of clear vinyl cut to the size of the decal and place the decal on the vinyl. Then I would wet the vinyl and stick that to the window. If we used another car it was a simpler matter of removing the vinyl and sticking it onto the other car. Worked every time. Can't do that anymore.

That's why it has become an honor thing when entering, because the windshield sticker was plain to see, that little p on the little tag sure isn't.

Now your plates and registration need to be run, there is a whole lotta info about you coming up when they do that.

Milliken State Park is free.

I found out today that Belle Isle is going to be used for a technology demonstrator for the ITS World Congress that will be held in Detroit at the beginning of September.

As I understand it, some days, the general public will be able to check out the technology demonstrations. Other days, it will be closed to the general public.

A promo for the conference and Detroit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvNwUPEJEkE

Your Convention Bureau at work

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    At Belle Isle Park
    Recreation Passports at Belle Isle Park are available for purchase in a mobile contact station identified with a DNR logo, located in front of the second loop connecting Sunset Drive and Picnic Way just north of the McArthur Bridge. This is a temporary location. A permanent on-island location will be identified soon.
    I'm disappointed in the DNR.

Just 'north' of MacArthur Bridge is Jefferson Avenue.

They have their bearings 180-degrees out of phase, the opposite polarity. [[I know those aren't compass terms, sorry, I've been knee-deep in esoteric audio these past weeks, LOL!)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yeah, that'd be logical...

But no daily passes for Michigan residents, just the annual one stuck on your car...although nobody seems to know how they'll be marking 'em up.

Ha there was a time not too long ago you got a decal that you placed on your windshield. I would take a piece of clear vinyl cut to the size of the decal and place the decal on the vinyl. Then I would wet the vinyl and stick that to the window. If we used another car it was a simpler matter of removing the vinyl and sticking it onto the other car. Worked every time. Can't do that anymore.

That's why it has become an honor thing when entering, because the windshield sticker was plain to see, that little p on the little tag sure isn't.

Now your plates and registration need to be run, there is a whole lotta info about you coming up when they do that.

The vinyl trick still works, but just a warning if they catch you they're not very friendly about it [[Can't tell you how I know ). Stickers are still available and are the same $11 charge as getting the "P" on your plate. The stickers are now really small, probably no more than a 1" square.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    The vinyl trick still works, but just a warning if they catch you they're not very friendly about it [[Can't tell you how I know ). Stickers are still available and are the same $11 charge as getting the "P" on your plate. The stickers are now really small, probably no more than a 1" square.
    A few years back, when we went camping in the UP, we had to buy the sticker...and the young officer insisted she had to place it on the windowshield herself.

I had entirely forgotten about that until your post...funny.

But if you coated more than just a tiny portion with contact vinyl, there is little chance they'd notice.

So, that's the ticket for those with multiple vehicles.

Or buy the annual pass one day you just happen to be riding your bicycle. Heh.

Cheers

My sister knew the saran wrap trick. I thought it was genius. She and her buddies would go to a beach every day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast