Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Question #1: It's a Michigan thing.

Question #2: A continued rapid decline of Detroit proper and a continued slow decline of the region/state as a whole.

Question #3 its a 'Michissippi' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Question #3 its a 'Michissippi' thing.
    That too, but I was trying not to go there.

Interesting comments Danny. We are old ,white, adore our Detroit community. In fact my husband is out and about with a neighbor doing good deeds. Our suburban friends and family send many gifts to area children. I guess I see what I want to see. Mostly people are caring and sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Interesting comments Danny. We are old ,white, adore our Detroit community. In fact my husband is out and about with a neighbor doing good deeds. Our suburban friends and family send many gifts to area children. I guess I see what I want to see. Mostly people are caring and sharing.
    Everyone chooses their own path in life. Demographics suggest that most whites moved out. Racism, safety, economics, property values, or whatever. That's can be debated. But whites staying are clearly the minority.

One wonders what would have happened if there had not been a mass migration.

Now we have a [[mass?) migration of white and multicultural youth into the City. In 50 years, will we end up like Paris with 'banlieues' on the outskirts as vibrancy heads to our core?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Now we have a [[mass?) migration of white and multicultural youth into the City. In 50 years, will we end up like Paris with 'banlieues' on the outskirts as vibrancy heads to our core?
    Ah, the things people write on DYes. "A mass migration of whites and multicultural youth" and a future akin to Paris.

Who needs reality when you have alternate worldviews, where facts have no place? Next time I'm rolling down McNichols I'll be sure to watch out for the white and multicultural hordes overtaking the city.
    Last edited by Bham1982; March-24-14 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Ah, the things people write on DYes. "A mass migration of whites and multicultural youth" and a future akin to Paris.

Who needs reality when you have alternate worldviews, where facts have no place? Next time I'm rolling down McNichols I'll be sure to watch out for the white and multicultural hordes overtaking the city.
    Oh, stop being a pompous prick, Bham. Would the typical Detroiter of 85 years ago have believed it would look as it did 25 years ago? We have lived through times of tremendous upheaval, and it seems to be the only constant. It's quite possible that downtown Birmingham will not be the same until the end of time, isn't it? At some point over the next 5 billions years?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It's quite possible that downtown Birmingham will not be the same until the end of time, isn't it? At some point over the next 5 billions years?
    I'm not talking about the future, but the present. The claim was that Detroit was presently being overtaken by young white and multiculti hordes, so I'm very eager to see evidence of these vast invading armies of hipsters.

I'm not talking about the future, but the present. The claim was that Detroit was presently being overtaken by young white and multiculti hordes, so I'm very eager to see evidence of these vast invading armies of hipsters.
    As usual, you're firing for effect. I think we can expect to see some interesting changes in the 2020 census by block groups from downtown to the boulevard, in Corktown and Woodbridge. And it's also correct that the change generally moves out from those locuses and spreads where walking and biking are most convenient. And that we'll likely see an increasing influx of people to the city.

I mean, who would have thought in 1946 that the city and suburbs would be flipped? That the country would go from beet fields and farmers to freeways and office towers? It would have been thought of as absurd, yes? Similarly, other places have flipped, although Paris is a rather extreme example. And who would have looked at downtown New York in 1980 and thought it would ever come back.

Bham, you're smarter than this, but you seem to have some sort of blinders on, like you've shoved your head so far up the status quo's ass that you only see sunlight when it yawns.

I think I said "[[mass?) migration..." precisely because I don't think its yet a mass migration. But a migration it certainly is. Compare John R and Erskine or Campus Martius of 1975 and I think you'll see the start of this 'migration'.

My point was that I believe the suburbs have major challenges coming up. Young people really like urban centers. All? No. Many of them? Yes. As DNerd pointed out, I don't think anyone in 1950's saw Detroit's decline. What happens in the neext 40 years? I'm sure we don't know. But it won't be the same place as it is today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2