Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You are drifting away from the premise of the original post, Oladub, which concerned not people moving out of the city, but people relentlessly harping on crime in the city, though a real problem it obviously is. I think there's a growing insecurity driving that.

Your proposed solutions don't really appeal to me at all, if I may say so.
    I have no desire to regulate what you or anyone else, even suburbanites, say.

"People relentlessly harping on crime in the city" does relate to why suburbanites don't move to the City. I didn't expect that my ideas would appeal to you. I don't, on the other hand, expect that trying and hoping that things and attitudes that haven't worked will work if tried again.

I do have one addition to my list of 'radical' solutions: Our federal government should replace middle class income taxes, to the extent possible, with import taxes and incarcerate the cheating CEO's of companies like Tyson and Marriot who knowingly hire illegal aliens to undercut US workers' wages. If there was a demand for US workers, workers could demand higher wages. There would be more financial options for the unemployed now drawn to crime.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I have no desire to regulate what you or anyone else, even suburbanites, say.

"People relentlessly harping on crime in the city" does relate to why suburbanites don't move to the City.
    Yeah, um, that's also not what I was talking about. Not that I'm against what you have to say, but you might have the decency to start your own thread about your ideas and what you want to talk about ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah, um, that's also not what I was talking about. Not that I'm against what you have to say, but you might have the decency to start your own thread about your ideas and what you want to talk about ...
    What you weren't talking about is how to fix Detroit. Your solution seems to be that if everybody just pretended the crime elephant wasn't in the room and ignored it or pretended it was a rainbow colored unicorn, then Detroit's would turn around.

Your thread is about censoring or self-censoring being a partial solution. Now I'm indecent for not commenting on 'your thread' the way you want. At least you're a consistent censor.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    What you weren't talking about is how to fix Detroit. Your solution seems to be that if everybody just pretended the crime elephant wasn't in the room and ignored it or pretended it was a rainbow colored unicorn, then Detroit's would turn around.

Your thread is about censoring or self-censoring being a partial solution. Now I'm indecent for not commenting on 'your thread' the way you want. At least you're a consistent censor.
    OK, oladub. This should be an easy assignment, then. Go back in the thread and copy and paste exactly where I said that people should censor themselves when they said negative things about Detroit. I wanna see this. Go on, oladub. Do it. What's the matter? Cat got your tongue? Show me where I said that.

You can't do it because I didn't say that. In fact, I admitted that the crime in Detroit was bad. And I didn't offer any solutions at all.

What I did say was that the relentless and increasing drumbeat of "crime ... crime ... crime ... crime" on this board seems to be a function of some suburban insecurities. The same ones that I feel are driving the petulant and ad hominem complaints of posters like coracle.

So there ya go.