http://www.mikeroweworks.com/2011/05...rce-committee/ A while back, [[a long, long, way back) I attended Wilbur Wright Trade School located on 12th. street [[Rosa Parks) and Grand River. I had to take two busses to get there, the Gratiot bus to the end of the line behind Hudson's, then I caught the Grand River bus at Fort and Griswold to 12th. street. The travel time was over an hour. I chose Wilbur Wright because it offered the best automotive curriculum in the state. I never regretted my choice as I received the best all round education in everything automotive. They had a chassis lab, engine lab, electrical lab, and a fully functional garage where the public could bring their cars in and have them serviced for only the cost of the parts. You were also required to take machine shop courses.
Not only that, they had great math and science teachers. [[A shout out to Mr.[[Sudsy) Lathers, my math teacher, the greatest teacher in the world!
What I'm getting at is, with all the kids either dropping out of high school or graduating from college with 50K and more in college loans and no job, we need to bring back the trade schools. Above, is a link to the address that Mike Rowe, star of the TV series, "Dirty Jobs" proposed to congress: [[Tried to post link here but it didn't work)
I am now working in an automotive testing facility where my 25+ years of turning wrenches was key to me getting hired. My machine shop experience enabled me to use my knowledge to fabricate fixtures for various tests we perform. Right now there is a shortage of people trained in CNC machining. Where are the schools that train the people that want to get into a trade without having to go to a university?