Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    The original "Mexicantown", closer to Grand Boulevard, is showing serious signs of decay, as is Warrendale, the original home of the west side's Arab population. And let's not forget Chaldeantown near 7 & Woodward, now basically gone, replaced by a very healthy business district near 14 & Ryan.

If anything, I've been noticing more immigrants flocking to South Warren and other struggling inner ring burbs. It's easier to sustain development there.
    Correct. Little discussed, but the technical "Mexicantown" is emptying out. Chaldeantown is gone. SW Detroit as a whole is still very Mexican, but families are mostly moving out to Melvindale, Lincoln Park, Taylor, Westland and the like. Springwells area is still very Mexican, but the original Mexicantown along Bagley is almost gone, and 2nd generation Mexicatown along Vernor near Clark Park and the church is dying.

The real Detroit ethnic neighborhoods are in semi-crappy inner suburbs like Warren, Madison Heights, Westland and the like. Drive down Dequindre, Ryan, John R, Ford Rd, etc.

Welp, maybe I stand corrected. Maybe you can get away with declaring bankruptcy as a city relatively scot-free. Still, it'd be interesting to see how much money the banks lent vs. how much money the banks made in interest payments, derivatives, and etc. Maybe the banks still made a killing, or maybe there is inside pressure from the government to forgive bad debts issued during the last crazy years before the federal bailout.

Either way, I feel we're not getting the whole story, though I understand why. Untangling all of these complex financial mechanisms is very difficult.

Yeah, but Duggan is from the Ficano machine. He's all hype. How is he going to be so different from what we've had before [[Kwame was a one-off)? Race is irrelevant. Chicago has had some really bad white mayors in its recent history. Bad is bad. Look at Warren. White power structure and almost as corrupt as Detroit.

It's unfortunate people around here are so blinded by race that they think Duggan is a major change.
    Last edited by nain rouge; March-13-14 at 05:16 PM.

GUSHI Guest

Yea bring immigrants to a market with hardly any jobs, how does that make sense? We have enough people on wel-fare. Only way to save Detroit is shrink it. My dad/mom came in 68, jobs were in surplus. Now there ain't really shit.

Because they aren't eligible? Bankruptcy is a perfectly sensible path for cities with intractable debt problems, but there aren't so many cities in Detroit's position. And if your budget is only a bit out of balance, putting your fate into the hands of a bankruptcy judge might not be such an appealing option.

I beg to differ. Chicago's mayor just announced that he's going to be forced to double the property tax on Chicago homeowners to help pay for that cities underfunded pension obligations. Detroit is just the first major city to go bankrupt, more will follow. [[sorry I don't know how to put quotations around a previous post)
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-15-14 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Because they aren't eligible? Bankruptcy is a perfectly sensible path for cities with intractable debt problems, but there aren't so many cities in Detroit's position. And if your budget is only a bit out of balance, putting your fate into the hands of a bankruptcy judge might not be such an appealing option.

I beg to differ. Chicago's mayor just announced that he's going to be forced to double the property tax on Chicago homeowners to help pay for that cities underfunded pension obligations. Detroit is just the first major city to go bankrupt, more will follow. [[sorry I don't know how to put quotations around a previous post)
    If you want to understand the difference between Chicago's situation and Detroit's, consider that people are seriously talking as if it might be possible to handle their pension problem by doubling Chicago's property tax, whereas no one was foolish enough to think that doubling Detroit's property tax would accomplish anything except the complete abandonment of the city. I'm sure some other cities will go bankrupt at some point--some already have. But to be as fiscally messed up as Detroit is a pretty high bar.

It's NOT just the Labor...they would bring cultural diversity. In Queens New York, they have Latinos, Orientals and Indopak sections. Lots of stores and restaurants. Same with other big cities. Greektowns [[OK we have THAT) Chinatowns, Little Italies, and Hungarian and Poletowns with actual Poles. We just have Hamtramck anymore. We either need the coastal cities to flood from climate change, or we need a Cambodia situation, tragic as it Was, where the Boat People come to the D and remake it.

GUSHI Guest

How about offering visa to the Ukrainians in Crimea. We have a Ukrainian Church in Hamtramck, Maybe another large of Ukrainians would help stabilize the area of Davidson and Conant or surrounding areas.

GUSHI, they'd never bother. Warren already has a "Little Ukraine" on Ryan, just south off I-696. Considering the real estate in Warren is cheap by American standards and the built environment already exists, why would you go to 6 Mile and Davidson?! Just check out this Google Street View: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4172...vdaqxsJZOQ!2e0 . Boarded up homes and a kid in a white t-shirt that feels the need to hide his face inside his shirt when the Google Camera rolls by. Don't get me wrong, there are good people in those neighborhoods, but there are also some overwhelming problems present.

In fact, I feel like this idea of "magic immigrants" that will clean up our messes is borderline offensive. Why can't we clean up our own messes, or at least stop making new messes all the time?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2