He's part of the rhythm and soul of Detroit. Longtime jazz musician Marcus Belgrave is heartbroken after a thief stole his one-of-a kind trumpet. It's not just his instrument, it's the way he earns a living.

"I went to the trunk and I opened trunk up and said, 'This can't be real,'" Belgrave's wife told Fox 2. "So I closed it back again and I opened it again and said, 'Your horn is gone, how is your horn gone?!'"

It happened after Belgrave's performance Friday night at Cliff Bells in Detroit. He and his wife Joan went to Bert's at Eastern Market to hang out afterwards and that's where the rare custom-made horn was stolen The low key jazz star has played all over the world and played with the best of them from Motown's finest to Ray Charles. He's the last living member of Charles' original seven piece band. He's also worked with Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Sammy Davis Jr. and Dizzy Gillespie to name a few.

The trumpet, made of copper, helps Belgrave create his signature sound. He says he won't press charges and may even give a reward if his trumpet is returned.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...#ixzz2vRNoSWGK

If you watch the video the part about the trunk sounds odd, no mention of it being broken into, so how was it just "gone" from a locked car/trunk? Could it have gotten left behind at Cliff Bells?
Maybe we'll all get lucky and the local scrapyard operator will do the right thing and return it after it's sold to him mixed in with some copper pipes...