Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This place looks as dreary as a Soviet housing complex. Minimalist architecture + disrepair + poor landscaping = yuck. Too bad it is not as well kept as some of the other condos in the area.
    Hehehe... everytime I take a tour bus full of Germans on an all day tour of Detroit, we pass by Lafayette Park, and there is always zero interest from any of them in this "Miesian" architecture. When I asked one group leader about this her reply was... "modern architects built colorless bland versions of this all over Europe, which we have to look at every day!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Hehehe... everytime I take a tour bus full of Germans on an all day tour of Detroit, we pass by Lafayette Park, and there is always zero interest from any of them in this "Miesian" architecture. When I asked one group leader about this her reply was... "modern architects built colorless bland versions of this all over Europe, which we have to look at every day!"

its unique here becasue mmost of our stuff is 1920s or before, unless u get out to the neighborhoods were its 30's and 40's tract homes

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Tom Wolfe wrote a great book about how postwar Americans worshipped the "White Gods" of European modernism [[Mies, Le Corbusier, Gropius, etc.) for fear of looking silly. In Europe, bauhaus modern took off because it was cheap and easy to construct. The grass is always greener.

HB

Not a big fan of Modernism architecture but some Bauhaus / Gropius work is quite interesting - see Fagus Werk -https://www.google.com/search?q=Fagus+Shoe+Factory+bauhaus&espv=210&es_sm =93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ZQ8eU57NFui fyQGNloDACQ&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=813