Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Stosh Guest

It was all that Devin could do to keep from outright laughing in her face.
    My dear God.. What a trainwreck. Her explanations of the obvious misuse of the logos of those organizations is absolutely astounding. She obviously doesn't realize that just being a member [[if she actually is) does not imply an endorsement.

Can't wait until 4 puts it up on the website...

Where are her handlers or campaign managers? Appearing on Flashpoint was the worst thing that she could have done just one week before the primary. Worst for her campaign, great for us, bacause we the public can clearly see that she is not fit to continue her seat on the council. Her performance was embarrassing to watch as a Detroiter. It just goes to show that just because a well-known and well-meaning person runs for office, doesn't mean that they're qualified to handle the office that they're running for [[like Charles Pugh this time around).

She believes that it was OK for her to use the logos on her flyer b/c they were on the internet. Therefore she shouldn't have any problem with people downloading her music as well. Maybe, it is even OK to sample and remix her work as well. That is, as long as you are not charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    She's running entirely on her music career, but I think the fact that "The Vandella's" [[which should be "The Vandellas") is spelled wrong on her flier sums her up pretty well.

And I like that being a member of a golfcourse makes her qualified to be on the council. Anyone off the street can be a member of those organizations.

And of course the only thing on her website other than filler text is a biography ripped from amazon.com and some youtube videos. Not only that, but the entire website is a free template from the internet that no one even bothered to fill in with their own text.

But the people who would vote for her probably aren't going to go to the website anyway, and are going to eat that flier up.
    http://www.martharosereeves.com/
    I looked around the site I found this
    Post archive for ‘Photos’

The Martha we now and love![[0)

Posted by admin on July 20th, 2009 | Categorized as Photos
    I don't know who does her proof reading but she needs to get someone more competent, she blamed the printer for errors on her campaign flyers, I wonder who she will blame for this?

One of the logos listed is the Detroit Lions. The NFL-protected logo cannot be used without permission. If used improperly, a person or organization can be sued.

"I am a member of the club -- The Lions Club. All of those organizations I am a member of," Reeves told Local 4.

However, Reeves was apparently referring to the service organization.

Hahahaha! :P

What's sad about "Martha-Rose Reeves and the Vandellas" is that she is an original artist of Motown and instead of being remembered for that very big acomplishment she allowed herself to be a joke for the city. Her appearance on Flashpoint was sad. People have to remember that she is a "old lady." I was sad to see her on television because she could not make herself look like she should be on the council. She is a performer, not a politician. Devin Scillian should veto her request because it was embarrassing.

Why are there 167 candidates for Detroit City Council?

I may have asked that question before, I may not have understood the answer, but after watching Martha Reeves on Flashpoint today the answer became quite clear.

People see this crazy incompetent woman making $81k a year + perks & bribes and figure that they are just as qualified to rob the city as she is. So they throw their hat in the ring hoping Detroiters will elect them as a public thief to pillage the city and line their pockets as well. The fact that few people that can form a coherent and complete thought even bother running for the council is shocking in itself. I fear with 167 people running, many of which who are no more moral, intellegent, or rational than Reeves, we will end up electing Reeves v2.0. It might not be this crazy woman, but someone just as crazy - hell, maybe even crazier. And the trainwreck that is Detroit City Council will continue to provide people like Carmen with much entertainment over the next four years. In 2013, will 500 people run for council? I mean, how many jobs out there pay $81k a year with next to no qualifications in this down economy?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/flashpoint/index.html

Sludgedaddy Guest

Ms. Reeves could garner even more votes by further extending her name on her flyers thusly: Martha -Wild Irish Rose Reeves. Throw in a bag of Obama Potato Chips outside the polling place, and she gets my vote.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    What's sad about "Martha-Rose Reeves and the Vandellas" is that she is an original artist of Motown and instead of being remembered for that very big acomplishment she allowed herself to be a joke for the city. Her appearance on Flashpoint was sad. People have to remember that she is a "old lady." I was sad to see her on television because she could not make herself look like she should be on the council. She is a performer, not a politician. Devin Scillian should veto her request because it was embarrassing.
    Her problem is not that she is an old lady, her problem is that she is a drooling moron who doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground. It's possible to look cute and have a nice singing voice and still have nothing upstairs but cobwebs and cotton fluff. Too bad cuteness is fleeting...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Her problem is not that she is an old lady, her problem is that she is a drooling moron who doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground. It's possible to look cute and have a nice singing voice and still have nothing upstairs but cobwebs and cotton fluff. Too bad cuteness is fleeting...
    You won't get any disagreements from me on Ms. Reeves' state of mind.

Tom interviewed her as if he was speaking to his elderly grandmother who's losing it mentally. I don't know if he felt sorry for her or didn't want to turn her into a martyr with the election coming up.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/20168396/index.html

OMG that was hard to watch. I'm so embarrassed for her. Doesn't she have adult children who can rein her in? I used to step in and take control of my 97 year old g'ma when she wanted to drive or when she left the house in her slip.

This woman is clearly senile and its really annoying how she interrupts with that passive aggressive way she has of answering questions. Ugggggh! Is it wrong to hate an old woman with dementia?

Who told her to run for city council in the first place? Someone planted that seed in her mind four years ago and they should be ashamed of themselves. Please don't let this woman win another election, its cruel and the joke has gone on long enough.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Tom interviewed her as if he was speaking to his elderly grandmother who's losing it mentally. I don't know if he felt sorry for her or didn't want to turn her into a martyr with the election coming up.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/20168396/index.html
    Isn't his name Devin?

Default Support Mrs. Rose-Reeves...

I supported her by making a 1-cent donation on her website [[I hope Paypal charges her a minimum processing fee to boot). In the "instructions" field, I asked when those organizations are going to sue her for copyright infringement.

It is sad to watch her being interviewed. She invoked the name of God [[just like Mr. Kilpatrick, Mrs. Conyers) to explain her situation, recycled irrelevant song lyrics, avoided his direct questions, and... wait, what the hell is she wearing??

AroundTown's quote:
    "...It is sad to watch her being interviewed. She invoked the name of God [[just like Mr. Kilpatrick, Mrs. Conyers) to explain her situation, recycled irrelevant song lyrics, avoided his direct questions, and... wait, what the hell is she wearing??..."

It is sadder to predict that she will at least make the first cut, and possibly win reelection!

Formula:
    Invoke the name of God + Avoid direct answers + Inject "us" vs "them" [[aka: race card) + Name recognition = Election! [[and a job paying $81,000, car, and staff)

Results:
    More of the same. The continued devastation of a great City.

Yes, people, I sincerely hope that I am wrong...
    Last edited by Bobl; July-26-09 at 07:10 PM.

My guess is that she finishes on the wrong side of the 18 picked on August 3rd.
    Your hard core voters show up in primary election and are generally more informed than those that just show up for the general election.
    I'm going to say that she finishes in the 20-25 range. I hope I'm right.

Just throwing a pass to any Photoshop geniuses out there: I'd love to see Martha Rose Reeves in her Lions uniform!

Another take on this, from today's Detroit Free Press:

"Our congratulations to WDIV-TV [[Channel 4) reporter Roger Weber for maintaining his composure while interviewing Detroit City Councilwoman Martha Reeves last week about a curious collection of organizations she depicted by logo on a piece of her campaign literature.

Most puzzling was the familiar blue silhouette that is the logo for the Detroit Lions football team.
    When Weber quizzed the singer-politician what the use of the logo implied about her association with the Lions, she replied: "I'm a member of the club, the Lions Club."

Ravine Guest

Some of you folks are making it sound like her problem is related to her age.
    She isn't that goddam old. Her mental condition cannot be validly explained by citing her age.
    As for me... I can't explain it, don't understand it.

stinkbug Guest

What a worthless piece of shit.

Ravine Guest

Well, that may be a bit harsh.

The "worthless piece of shit" is our former mayor.

stinkbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Well, that may be a bit harsh.

The "worthless piece of shit" is our former mayor.
    True enough.

Quote Originally Posted by notimpressed View Post
    What amazes me is the fact she is not in jail for trying to defraud her insurance company when she claimed about $20,000 worth of recording equipment was actually worth a $1,000,000.

I dont think she had insurance to file a claim, maybe a false police report.
    I saw what was recovered on the news from the pawn shop, it was maybe worth 500.00, plus the custom inner ear monitors that only fit her ears.
    I liked how it started at 1 mil and dropped after every interview she did.

She's just interested in the City Counsel position because surely her only income may have been Social Security, if ex-entertainers qualify for that. Otherwise she would probably be a bag lady. She not one of those super hitmakers, such as Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross or Smokey Robinson. Basically she was a one hit wonder. I would be pissed if I paid money and found out she was punishing my ears with her crackling voice. She needs to sit down somewhere or focus on her first [[joke) of a career. I doubt if she get residuals from past songs because I can't remember the last time I heard her on the radio [[although I basically only listen to XM).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast