The buildings along Grand Circus Park are part of a more open-feeling section of downtown than where the Wurlitzer is. Also, more active development is underway around there, making the Wurlitzer more and more of an anomaly. It is also, by appearance, much more run down than any other building in such a busy area. There are empty buildings, and then there are vertical train wrecks. The Wurlitzer is on the path to the latter.

I am not saying the Wurlitzer or any other building should be torn down in a hurry. But hasn't it been more than 30 years? We shouldn't wait for the 50th anniversary of abandonment to tear it down. And yes, the city should use stronger tactics to get people to make sure their buildings meet at least basic code.

When your neighbors move out, you don't need to tear down their house. But when that house is an eyesore and increasingly a danger to the neighborhood, of course the neighbors will want it torn down. Same thing here. I think the city should demand it be returned fully to code [[including with windows and working infrastructure), with work starting in 2014 and be finished by the end of 2015. If not, the city should seize it and begin the demo process. That gives it 1-2 years to be on the path to being an asset, or it would come down. I think that's reasonable for the owners and anyone who would want to redevelop it, but also provides an assurance to the neighbors that they will eventually not have an unsafe eyesore lingering there.