Terry Foster has an article speculating about an Isiah Thomas return to the Pistons. He isn't predicting or endorsing it, merely he speculates about the possibility of his return in a management or coaching capacity. I think I can say without a doubt in my own mind that that would turn me from someone who slightly follows the Pistons into someone who ignores them entirely.

I grew up a Pistons fan, and I loved Isiah Thomas [[and the other players, too, including Adrian Dantley, he of the sexiest legs in the NBA). I have nothing but fond 80s memories of the team and Isiah [[including his Detroit Edison commercials, "Be careful, Isiah!").

But I lived in NY when he was an exec and then coach with the Knicks. His blunders in both capacities are the stuff of legend there. What's worse than his poor performance was the attitude he maintained both on the court and for the fans. He was dismissive of his team's poor performance, blamed other people for his own failures, and was a rude force of nature in general. It didn't help he worked for the worst owners in sports, the Dolans, and was reportedly hired and kept on because of his friendship with Jim Dolan. He may have played for Chuck Daly, but he didn't learn from him. And that is too bad. Let me tell you, Knicks fans HAAAAAAAAAAATE him like perhaps only Claude Lemieux is hated here.

I don't much suspect that a volatile person such as Isiah Thomas, who has had little post-playing success would ever be a serious candidate to help run the Pistons [[and if he was, boy would Tom Gores lose my respect!). But I hope that if Dumars retires they hire someone with proven management skills. And if they hire a coach, someone who has proven he can win! That is not Isiah.

Note: his three decent but unspectacular seasons in Indianapolis, when he inherited a good team, does not indicate head coaching skills. His failures at FIU and with the Knicks, where he had power beyond the sidelines, is more accurate, in my opinion.

Just read TF's article and needed to get this off my chest.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...iah-Thomas-not