I am sure there are alot of theories on what the redevelopment could be. Lets hear em....
My Plan would be something that I believe would help build new infrastucture in the city while also creating a for jobs and tourism that could be implimented all around town..
Step one: Job training:
Thousands of Detroiters are without work and are willing to train to prepare for new careers. As a result I propose a new jobs program should be designed for green renovation of existing structures. This would be implimented by having leading green and renovation experts come together to train Detroits new green workforce.
Step two: Green Build
The city allows Buildings such as the Lafayette to be used as such training facilities with a workforce in training that will learn how to make the Lafayette Detroits premier renovated green building. This work will be done in conjunction with the US Green Bulding Council to achieve LEED Certification. Solar pannels and a living roof will be installed. Low VOC paint and appropriate green material will be used for flooring the and the entire building will be retro fitted with the most energy efficient appliances possible. Also a feasability study will be done on the possibility of adding a geothermal heating and cooling system.
Step 3: USE
Bottom floor retail would be marketed at feasible discounted rates to make it possible for a major anchor such as Trader Joe's to come in and provide for an attractive retail climate. Once established the new Green Jobs Detroit will opperate out of its Lafayette building campus which will allow for opportunities for education. Along with incentives for 501C3's and other Green Jobs to be created and opperated from this HUB. There is also a market for green living which would allow a portion of the building to be new green condo's which wouldhave all the green ameneties such as energy efficient appliances and low flow faucets.

Step Four: Education of the Public
Tours of the building could allow for education of the general public who could now see the benefits of green renovation first hand. It is one thing to just see the renovation but the building will go a step further with open finances and interactive displays of how much money rebuilding green has saved in the long run thus giving more justification to why everyone should build green.

These are just some rough 3:30AM Ideas feel free to critique and add to mine or suggest something completely different.