Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    As I say over and over again, Lansing is not our friend, and does not and never has had our best interests in mind. In fact, if it benefits Detroit or "Detroiters" in any way there's a certain hard core of people in Lansing who will be dead set against it.
    In their defense, I would bet "detroit" and "Detroiters" consume far more of the state's government's time, budget and focus that the majority of anywhere else. I could see being a Grand Rapids area legislator and hearing it loud and often from my constituents that GR needs more of the state's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    In their defense, I would bet "detroit" and "Detroiters" consume far more of the state's government's time, budget and focus that the majority of anywhere else. I could see being a Grand Rapids area legislator and hearing it loud and often from my constituents that GR needs more of the state's attention.
    Well, in fairness to Al, the point wasn't about "attention." It was about how Lansing legislates in such a way that socks it to Detroit over and over and over again. I doubt these legislators consider their deeds to be chores, and are likely filled with glee to do their part of the big job. And I doubt Grand Rapids would care for the sorts of kindnesses done us by Lansing.

And if not for Detroit - more specifically, Metro Detroit, which would not exist without Detroit - Michigan would be a frozen backwater with nothing but sugar beets and militiamen trapsing around the backwoods, ready to take on the feds. This state would have nearly zero prominence or power on the national stage were it not for the population and economy of our region. It would be the equivalent of a North Dakota with no oil.

Rural Michigan is already basically living on the dole anyway, so they don't have much room to point at Detroit, but I'm sure they're quite pleased with their rural hypocricy.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...for_rural.html

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Rural Michigan is already basically living on the dole anyway, so they don't have much room to point at Detroit, but I'm sure they're quite pleased with their rural hypocricy.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...for_rural.html
    A fact that seems almost completely lost in the tiresome discussions outstate and in Lansing about how much Detroit "costs" them.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    A fact that seems almost completely lost in the tiresome discussions outstate and in Lansing about how much Detroit "costs" them.
    One of the reasons being, if relief gets sent to rural areas, they get votes in return. If the State tries to help Detroit, well, you've read it here first.

Yes, but you would be wrong. We actually get less money than our population [[and largest city status) would seem to warrant. Certainly less than most major cities elsewhere in the country get from their state governments.