Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I was beside my house one night in the dark and my neighbor didn't know it was me and called the police. Two squad cars showed up in front of my house, I was cordial with them and they were cordial with me, I showed them my license and it matched my residence, I thanked them for showing up and we said good evening to one another, end of story.

This guy yelling and screaming at the officers just escalated the situation into an arrest. All he had to do was realize these guys are doing their job, comply and not act like a fucking asshole and this would be no story.

Shame on Obama for not seeing it that way. This guy's stock is dropping daily.

Have any of you that are so sure Prof. Gates was in the wrong, read this?

http://www.theroot.com/views/lawyers...louis-gates-jr

Professor Gates immediately called the Harvard Real Estate office to report the damage to his door and requested that it be repaired immediately. As he was talking to the Harvard Real Estate office on his portable phone in his house, he observed a uniformed officer on his front porch. When Professor Gates opened the door, the officer immediately asked him to step outside. Professor Gates remained inside his home and asked the officer why he was there. The officer indicated that he was responding to a 911 call about a breaking and entering in progress at this address. Professor Gates informed the officer that he lived there and was a faculty member at Harvard University. The officer then asked Professor Gates whether he could prove that he lived there and taught at Harvard. Professor Gates said that he could, and turned to walk into his kitchen, where he had left his wallet. The officer followed him. Professor Gates handed both his Harvard University identification and his valid Massachusetts driver’s license to the officer. Both include Professor Gates’ photograph, and the license includes his address.

Professor Gates then asked the police officer if he would give him his name and his badge number. He made this request several times. The officer did not produce any identification nor did he respond to Professor Gates’ request for this information. After an additional request by Professor Gates for the officer’s name and badge number, the officer then turned and left the kitchen of Professor Gates’ home without ever acknowledging who he was or if there were charges against Professor Gates. As Professor Gates followed the officer to his own front door, he was astonished to see several police officers gathered on his front porch. Professor Gates asked the officer’s colleagues for his name and badge number. As Professor Gates stepped onto his front porch, the officer who had been inside and who had examined his identification, said to him, “Thank you for accommodating my earlier request,” and then placed Professor Gates under arrest. He was handcuffed on his own front porch.
    I didn't know asking for a badge number was a crime.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Have any of you that are so sure Prof. Gates was in the wrong, read this?

http://www.theroot.com/views/lawyers...louis-gates-jr

I didn't know asking for a badge number was a crime.
    According to the officer he provided the info requested several times. Since there were other officers from Cambridge and Harvard on scene, as well as several non police witnesses, I am confident Professor Gates will be shown as a pompous, arrogant, petulant man who misbehaved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    I was beside my house one night in the dark and my neighbor didn't know it was me and called the police. Two squad cars showed up in front of my house, I was cordial with them and they were cordial with me
    this was noon, daytime

This guy yelling and screaming at the officers just escalated the situation into an arrest. All he had to do was realize these guys are doing their job, comply and not act like a fucking asshole and this would be no story.

Shame on Obama for not seeing it that way. This guy's stock is dropping daily.
    oh, yes, shame on someone who doesn't see it the way you do.

fact -- african american males are pulled over disproportionately in this country.

fact -- Gates demanded ID from the officer before showing his own. this is rational. gates then supplied his ID

fact -- Gates was arrested for creating a scene in a public place.
    fact -- the place was NOT a public place, but his own yard.

was Gates wrong for being obnoxious? yes
    was the cop wrong for making the arrest? yes, as was shown by the immediate dismissal of the arrest
    which is the more grievous offence? gates was wrong, the cop was MORE wrong.

I am confident Professor Gates will be shown as a pompous, arrogant, petulant man who misbehaved
    Or maybe not, since they dropped the charges.

The officer was right to arrest him. In a situation that seems to be getting out of hand, it is better to arrest the disorderly person than to let the dispute escalate.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    this was noon, daytime

oh, yes, shame on someone who doesn't see it the way you do.

fact -- african american males are pulled over disproportionately in this country.

fact -- Gates demanded ID from the officer before showing his own. this is rational. gates then supplied his ID

fact -- Gates was arrested for creating a scene in a public place.
    fact -- the place was NOT a public place, but his own yard.

was Gates wrong for being obnoxious? yes
    was the cop wrong for making the arrest? yes, as was shown by the immediate dismissal of the arrest
    which is the more grievous offence? gates was wrong, the cop was MORE wrong.

Bottom line, you have rights as an individual, but your freedom of speech and so forth cease when it becomes something else, like verbal assault. If you assault a police officer, you are going to get arrested. Gates' attitude was apparent. The officer asked him to step outside, he turns to get his identification, then wanting to see the officers identification, asking repeatedly-translation yelling and screaming and acting like a jerk. This is just a case of a cocky asshole wanting to get smart with the cops, he got arrested, good for him.

Rb, FACT: There is not an officer on any police force that is not aware of the pitfalls of racial profiling. This guy taught how to avoid it.

How about if the story had went like this?

Man is acting irrational, they leave and are called back later because he's barricaded himself in his home and shooting at his neighbors? How many times have we read that story? The arrest was probably to cool him off and diffuse a more serious situation. Pam, Your story makes it sound as he was acting rational, the officers account do not coincide with that.

I'm sure all these police officers showed up just to pick on a black guy and give him a hard time.

Obama made it plain where he hangs his hammer on this subject. Shame on him.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; July-24-09 at 11:07 AM.

Pam, Your story makes it sound as he was acting rational, the officers account do not coincide with that.
    Well sure, they are trying to cover their ass. I don't believe that Gates was acting badly, but even if he was, there was really no way to defuse the situation besides arresting him? Bullshit. Aren't these guys trained to talk before they slap the cuffs on?

Quote: "I don't believe that Gates was acting badly,"

So, You think the cops just felt like messin with a black guy? And they arrested him for the hell of it? Police officers don't arrest people for the hell of it. They are trained for when to arrest and when not to. The felt it was appropriate.

Let's take the burglary misunderstanding out of it, and instead the police were there investigating a cat in a tree. Gates acting he was, would have still been arrested. Yelling and screaming and accosting the officers. Gates felt he was who he is, was smarter than they and is above the law. He found out differently. Call the cops to your house and act like that and see what happens.

And they arrested him for the hell of it? Police officers don't arrest people for the hell of it.
    Yes, sometimes they do when they are assholes on a power trip and not acting like the public servants they are. Why was the officer refusing to give his badge number? Tax paying citizens have the right to ask for that.

Yelling and screaming and accosting the officers
    Where did it say he did that? In fact, one article I read said he had a sore throat and was not capable of screaming.

Yes, sometimes they do when they are assholes on a power trip and not acting like the public servants they are. Why was the officer refusing to give his badge number? Tax paying citizens have the right to ask for that.

Where did it say he did that? In fact, one article I read said he had a sore throat and was not capable of screaming.

Well there it is. The truth finally comes out. "One article I read......."

Puh-lease. Granted, some if not a lot of cops are power tripped a$$h0les who wouldn't hesitate a minute to arrest someone who gets in their face. All that aside, citizens should know these days not to antagonize an officer. It is COMMON SENSE. Every time I have ever had interaction with the police, staying calm was my first sense of urgency.

How many times on COPS have you seen some delirious suspect rambling off and becoming aggressive/defensive/evasive? Those scenes always end with takedowns and handcuffs.

The officer was looking out for the property until the burden of proof was met by the citizen. Proving you own the house does not justify being a $hi+head. Sorry to burst your live-in bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Well there it is. The truth finally comes out. "One article I read......."

Puh-lease. Granted, some if not a lot of cops are power tripped a$$h0les who wouldn't hesitate a minute to arrest someone who gets in their face. All that aside, citizens should know these days not to antagonize an officer. It is COMMON SENSE. Every time I have ever had interaction with the police, staying calm was my first sense of urgency.

How many times on COPS have you seen some delirious suspect rambling off and becoming aggressive/defensive/evasive? Those scenes always end with takedowns and handcuffs.

The officer was looking out for the property until the burden of proof was met by the citizen. Proving you own the house does not justify being a $hi+head. Sorry to burst your live-in bubble.
    He was arrested for getting angry and asking for a badge number. That is ok with you? He did not commit a crime. He was no threat to police. He showed ID. The officer should have apologized for the mistake and left.

well, at least we know now who here favors a police state

detmich Guest

He was arrested for getting angry and asking for a badge number. That is ok with you? He did not commit a crime. He was no threat to police. He showed ID. The officer should have apologized for the mistake and left.
    If the only people to witness this event were the Cambridge PD I would agree with Pam. However, Harvard's police were on hand as well. The HPD is very well aware of who Gates is and the repercussions that they would deal with if he were treated unfairly. They saw fit to let events unfold as they did, which speaks volumes to Gates' disposition. In addition, there were several witnesses outside the police on site as well. Since the arrest occurred outside, on the front lawn they will all have seen it happen. All these circumstances lead me to think that Gates was in fact acting like a petulant child and deserved to be arrested.

At least Mr. Gates didn't get tased.

Pam - If in fact he did not purposely agrivate and demean the officer, then I will stand corrected. From what has been reported, it is obvious that Gates was not OK with simply complying with the officers request to step outside and show him identification [[in whichever order that transpired). The officers have every reason to believe that if a suspect [[which he rightfully was at that point) does not comply with standard requests of law enforcement, he or she is probably up to no good. In this case he wasn't, but made it seem so.

My assumption was when he did prove his residence, he wanted to "drop the hammer" on the officer for presuming wrong [[or doing his job). At this point, I would not dignify Mr. Gates with an answer to his request. I don't respond to vulgar threats and/or insults. Nor should you.

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    All these circumstances lead me to think that Gates was in fact acting like a petulant child and deserved to be arrested.
    last i heard, there was no law against acting like a petulant child. yes, he was an ass, but the cop also admitted he lost his judgement

From Detnews: Cop who arrested black scholar Gates is profiling expert
    Cambridge Sgt. James Crowley has taught a class about racial profiling for five years at the Lowell Police Academy after being hand-picked for the job by former police Commissioner Ronny Watson, who is black, said Academy Director Thomas Fleming....

The course, called "Racial Profiling," teaches about different cultures that officers could encounter in their community "and how you don't want to single people out because of their ethnic background or the culture they come from," Fleming said.
    Interesting twist there.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    last i heard, there was no law against acting like a petulant child. yes, he was an ass, but the cop also admitted he lost his judgement
    I have not seen this information. In fact, the information I have seen is that the officer thinks that he acted correctly. The accompanying officers appear to think that he acted correctly as well. I have not heard of any citizens coming forth to contradict the officer's position. Nor have I heard them contradict Gates' position. I am interested to hear what is included on the police tape recordings, if they are released.

"Sgt. Leon Lashley, a black officer who was at Gates' home with Crowley at the time of the arrest, said he supported his fellow officer's action "100 percent."

Gates has said he returned from an overseas trip, found the door jammed and he and his driver attempted to force it open. Gates went through the back door and was inside the house when police arrived. Police say he flew into a verbal rage when Crowley asked him to show identification to prove he should be in the home. Police say Gates accused Crowley of racial bias, refused to calm down and was arrested."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090724/...arvard_scholar

The article also mentions that President Obama has done the right thing and personally called the arresting officer. Whether or not he offered an apology for his earlier comments I do not know, but he should be applauded for making the effort.

ccbatson Guest

Arrested on the charge of disturbing the peace while outside of his home with the charges later dropped...legitimate and legal.

Quote Originally Posted by HitsvilleUSofA View Post
    You do realize that assumptions can make you look a certain way do you not?

and the statement that that one repsonded to....don't neccessarily make you look like an mental giant....

I gotta believe the folks at Harvard are having a look at this as well. A Racist professor? Accosting a police officer making racist comments [[accusing someone of racism is practicing it as well) and making comments about his mother? Esteemed dignified colleague? No. Role model for the students? No

“Ya, I’ll speak with your mama outside"
    Stay classy Henry.

Quote: "well, at least we know now who here favors a police state"

Well, at least we know now who here fails to understand the concept of respect for the law.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast