Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Can someone post break-in stats for Detroit, and stats for dead perps?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Silly me - I wasn't aware of any changes to the self defense laws in Michigan. I was always under the impression that when confronting a person who has forced entry into your house you could not pull the trigger unless there was a threat of harm. For instance , just walking out the door with your TV set wasn't justification for shooting that person in the back after you told him / her to stop.
    My opinion isn't an educated legal one, but if someone was breaking into my house that implies force. They are going to take things from me, and if I don't comply bad things will happen to me. Heck, even if I cooperate I'm an undesirable witness, something that often gets dealt with.

I'm of the opinion of f*ck intruders. F*ck the thugs. Eat lead or stop being a lazy piece of stealing trash. You get shot by someone while breaking into their house? Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    2-for-1!

Homeowner claims that these guys tried to break in last week, and came back again this week.

Another big fat, "OH WELL". I love it when the good guy lives and the bad guys eat lead.

GREAT! More good news.

Watching the article I noted that the African American neighbor was 100% in favor of homeowners having the right and ability to protect themselves.

Those obsessed with gun control should take note that guns are being used in Detroit to solve problems. Is is possible that an innocent family member might get killed? Yes. And maybe in Clinton Township the odds of using your gun to shoot an intruder might be the same as the odds of a family member killed another family member.

But in Detroit, it looks like the odds are way in favor of dead intruders. Can anyone please tell me how many accidental killings by gun there were in Detroit in the last 12 months? Looks like quite a few dead intruders these days.

I think this is a great trend. It demonstrates that we can sometimes be better off defending ourselves than relying on government to do so.

And don't you think that soon a few criminals might get the message that breaking into homes is really risky? That may soon get through the heads of even crack-addicted criminals.

This could have been a very hard lesson for this kid!
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...rrive/25158758

In Detroit which is 82% black, forty percent of blacks are poor. Most of them drop out of school. Can't find work. Can't go to college. Do know who their father is. So most of them have to find a way to survive. They don on the Trayvon Martins, case the victim or a place then go rob and shoot and be long gone. If that's the way of life for poor miserable black Detroit so beat it. because if you want out of the ghetto, you have to earn you way out. And education is the way.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Because a black mind is a terrible thing to waste.

For Neda, Trayvon Martin, George Stinney, Rodney King, Guy Fawkes, and the 99 Percent

My 2nd worst fear in life is having to use my gun to defend myself.

My worst fear in life is being in a situation where i need to defend my family and I am not equipped to do so.

And yes, I am a gun toting, deer huntin', beer drinkin' suburbanite who happens to be college educated and working in Detroit and knows the importance of a human life.

My first reaction, as I'm sure was the same for many, is to give a big 'attaboy' to the homeowners. And that's a perfectly good reaction.

However, I also wonder 'what comes next?'

What comes next when the families or friends of the guys that got killed go looking for revenge? Are we going to start reading stories about the homeowners getting taken out in a drive-by or their house burning down in the next month?

What comes next when the thieves start expecting every homeowner to get armed and just go shooting? Then you'll get homeowners, including those who may not be armed, getting shot to death.

I hope these things don't happen, but it's been proven that the criminals around here have no problem taking it to more and more extreme measures. I don't think homeowners should back down, but it could eventually get worse rather than better.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    My first reaction, as I'm sure was the same for many, is to give a big 'attaboy' to the homeowners. And that's a perfectly good reaction.

However, I also wonder 'what comes next?'

What comes next when the families or friends of the guys that got killed go looking for revenge? Are we going to start reading stories about the homeowners getting taken out in a drive-by or their house burning down in the next month?

What comes next when the thieves start expecting every homeowner to get armed and just go shooting? Then you'll get homeowners, including those who may not be armed, getting shot to death.

I hope these things don't happen, but it's been proven that the criminals around here have no problem taking it to more and more extreme measures. I don't think homeowners should back down, but it could eventually get worse rather than better.
    I share the exact same concern. Not in an attempt to advocate for stricter gun control, but out of pragmatism. I think you are right to ask, "What happens next?"

A few thoughts I have...

[[1) DPD response time is improving. High priority calls -- of which a robbery in progress is considered -- are getting response within 10 minutes on the high side. I believe that with an alarm system, a 911 call, and a caller saying that robbers have entered the phone and have already started shooting will attract police response lickety-split.

[[2) The homeowners/residents are at a much greater tactical advantage than robbers, as they are starting from inside a protected area with familiarity of the floor plan.

So unless robbers are showing up in teams of 5, with night vision goggles and silencers, I'd say that the advantage still goes to the homeowner.

In the end, I think this will result in fewer B&E's. The question for me is whether or not it will get worse before it gets better.

I hear you. It can never be a good day to have to shoot someone invading your home. Just recently a Detroit homeowner had to shoot and kill two home invaders after having been broken into twice in two weeks. I saw it on Fox2 I think but cannot find the link.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    My 2nd worst fear in life is having to use my gun to defend myself.

My worst fear in life is being in a situation where i need to defend my family and I am not equipped to do so.

And yes, I am a gun toting, deer huntin', beer drinkin' suburbanite who happens to be college educated and working in Detroit and knows the importance of a human life.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I hear you. It can never be a good day to have to shoot someone invading your home. Just recently a Detroit homeowner had to shoot and kill two home invaders after having been broken into twice in two weeks. I saw it on Fox2 I think but cannot find the link.
    I don't care for Faux 2 News.......

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-home-invaders

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

I don't like Fox News at the national level, but the only complaint I have about WJBK is when they shove in their little national filler-clips with the right-wing agenda.

Hah! Faux 2 cannot stand themselves [[they even shun some conservatives for not towing the line as they desire). It just happens to be one of the three local stations I pull from on the AM.

Ten fatal shooting of robbers/ home invaders since January. Sign of the times indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Last edited by Zacha341; March-26-14 at 09:03 PM.

Hah! Faux 2 cannot stand themselves [[they even shun some conservatives for not towing the line as they desire). It just happens to be one of the three local stations I pull from on the AM.

Ten fatal shooting of robbers/ home invaders since January. Sign of the times indeed.
    This is both good and bad news. The good news is crime has dropped due to slightly fewer participants. The bad news is the ass-wipes that are left, are going to shoot first, and steal your stuff later. The average homeowner needs to be prepared and ready to welcome these fleabags.

Last edited by getmoore; April-09-14 at 07:35 AM.

Default a little more info...

Detroit homeowner shoots 2 suspects during break-in attempt; 1 dead

One person is dead and another wounded after they were shot while allegedly trying to break into a home on the city’s west side early Wednesday morning.According to police, the incident occurred in the 19100 block of Asbury Park, in an area between Seven Mile and Cambridge.
    The unidentified male homeowner fired on the pair after the suspects tried to enter after breaking a window, police said.
    The suspect who died has been identified only as a 19-year-old male who was dead on arrival at Sinai-Grace Hospital. His body was found on the front lawn of a home a few doors away from the home of the shooter.
    The second person shot was a 19-year-old female, who was hit in the leg. She is in critical condition at Sinai-Grace. The unidentified homeowner was unhurt in the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Detroit homeowner shoots 2 suspects during break-in attempt; 1 dead

One person is dead and another wounded after they were shot while allegedly trying to break into a home on the city’s west side early Wednesday morning.According to police, the incident occurred in the 19100 block of Asbury Park, in an area between Seven Mile and Cambridge.
    The unidentified male homeowner fired on the pair after the suspects tried to enter after breaking a window, police said.
    The suspect who died has been identified only as a 19-year-old male who was dead on arrival at Sinai-Grace Hospital. His body was found on the front lawn of a home a few doors away from the home of the shooter.
    The second person shot was a 19-year-old female, who was hit in the leg. She is in critical condition at Sinai-Grace. The unidentified homeowner was unhurt in the incident.
    Do not attempt to break into houses. Do not do anything that might be interpreted as a break-in.

I just don't see how they have the nerve to break in upon someone in their home! Here we have two lives lost and male and female for what? Some Jewelry an table or a flat screen and now their parents must stare down at them in a coffin? Crazy occupation to start so early in.

I just don't see how they have the nerve to break in upon someone in their home! Here we have two lives lost and male and female for what? Some Jewelry an table or a flat screen and now their parents must stare down at them in a coffin? Crazy occupation to start so early in.
    Zacha... there's a ready supply of people to replace these two. We can debate whether it was their fault, society's fault, or a case of mistaken intent [[maybe they were lost?) -- but this pathology is widespread in our fine town.

Our society has to choose how to respond. The private gun ownership/castle doctrine combo does seem to be the only combo that works well in our fine town. The increased social spending + police combo doesn't seem to work. But maybe over time it will.

As with all problems, the solution is probably doing everything right. More social spending. More police. Better police training. Private guns with good rules. Strong neighborhoods. Better alarm systems. Satellite tracking by spray painting perps. Do them all, and let's hope shooting to kill home invaders can be reduced.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; April-10-14 at 01:06 AM. Reason: societies as possessive? what?

I hear you WM. Thanks for your comments. Mine were in part born out of frustration. I'd be to afraid to be chose robbing as my occupation!

The flip side of this is going to be the scum going in shooting before the homeowners get a chance to shoot.

Same with the driveway robberies - the scum will shoot on approach, then take what they want.

^^^ Eh, It could get crazy. I suggest you best stay indoors, lest you get into the midst of it all......
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-10-14 at 05:54 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast