Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

I thought it was rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I thought it was rocket science.

And brain surgery.

A big fat "OH WELL". I'm not big on guns, and I don't own one. If I lived in Detroit I probably would. Out in the burbs I feel like my gun is more likely to hurt someone in my family than an intruder that will hopefully never come.

I'm glad people in Detroit are giving these thugs a reason to think twice before they target their next victim.

Good grief.
    How low does the bar have to be set, around here?

It's time to reconsider humane mantraps in Detroit.
    Historically, mantraps were mechanical devices for catching poachers and trespassers....

Mantraps that use deadly force are illegal in the United States, and there have been notable tort law cases where the trespasser has successfully sued the property owner for damages caused by the mantrap. As noted in the important US court case of Katko v. Briney, "the law has always placed a higher value upon human safety than upon mere rights of property."

Default Another B&E goes lethal on the perp

Johnson said the woman, who is in her 50s, will be questioned by officers but is not expected to be arrested or face charges because she was protecting herself. She called 911 after the shooting, he said.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014022...-home-invasion

I honor people who protect their homes. I am not big on guns but no one has any right to do home invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I honor people who protect their homes. I am not big on guns but no one has any right to do home invasion.
    Simple rule. Someone's home is their castle. Enter without permission. You take responsibility for the results.

Simple rules like this reduce crime. Will a few innocent intruders be harmed. Yes. Will fewer innocent homeowners be harmed. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Simple rule. Someone's home is their castle. Enter without permission. You take responsibility for the results.

Simple rules like this reduce crime. Will a few innocent intruders be harmed. Yes. Will fewer innocent homeowners be harmed. Yes.
    Not too sure about that first paragraph. I don't think just finding an intruder in your house is justification for pulling the trigger. I'm pretty sure there has to be the threat of bodily injury.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Not too sure about that first paragraph. I don't think just finding an intruder in your house is justification for pulling the trigger. I'm pretty sure there has to be the threat of bodily injury.
    I have to agree with you about that, but I just can't imagine if it happened what the time frame for reaction would need to be. Hard to reason what's happening and how to react. Not sure how I'd deal with it. Scary situation.

I disagree, the fact that you've broken into my home implies enough of a "threat of bodily injury"... and gives me every right to open fire.

Could be he kicked the door down or broke out a window because he wanted a drink of water or to use the bathroom.

Default Criminal types not PC ?

This post got me thinking along the lines of PC Sensitivity Training.

If you take the theme that harassment, in terms of how the recipient perceives it, has all the credence and the perpetrator of said harassment hasn't a leg to stand on when accused...

Self defense laws of the lethal variety in Michigan no longer requires victims to guess at the criminal intentions of the invader of one's space or run and hide, all it requires is the perceived threat of bodily harm, rape and death of either the victim or another person to act.

There are exceptions to these laws.

So maybe it's time for thugs to undergo sensitivity training in their workplace.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-02-14 at 09:46 AM.

Let's go with your situation. You are home alone with your 3 year old. You hear sounds. You meet an intruder in your living room. What is your next action?

Tell us how you know whether they broken in because they needed to steal some oatmeal for their starving child -- or just felt like dismembering yours?

Introduced by Senator Cropsey
    ENROLLED SENATE BILL No. 1046
    AN ACT to create a rebuttable presumption regarding the use of self-defense or the defense of others.
    The People of the State of Michigan enact:
    Sec. 1. [[1) Except as provided in subsection [[2), it is a rebuttable presumption in a civil or criminal case that an individual who uses deadly force or force other than deadly force under section 2 of the self-defense act has an honest and reasonable belief that imminent death of, sexual assault of, or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another individual will occur if both of the following apply:
    [[a) The individual against whom deadly force or force other than deadly force is used is in the process of breaking and entering a dwelling or business premises or committing home invasion or has broken and entered a dwelling or business premises or committed home invasion and is still present in the dwelling or business premises, or is unlawfully attempting to remove another individual from a dwelling, business premises, or occupied vehicle against his or her will.

Cheif Craig is standing on solid legal ground when he recommends using self defense.

Now, whether it's morally correct to use firearms or legally, it's up to the individual to make the call and live with the consequences that the perp has thrust upon them.

Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-02-14 at 04:18 PM.

Last edited by getmoore; April-09-14 at 07:35 AM.

Default a little more info...

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    Detroit homeowner shoots 2 suspects during break-in attempt; 1 dead

One person is dead and another wounded after they were shot while allegedly trying to break into a home on the city’s west side early Wednesday morning.According to police, the incident occurred in the 19100 block of Asbury Park, in an area between Seven Mile and Cambridge.
    The unidentified male homeowner fired on the pair after the suspects tried to enter after breaking a window, police said.
    The suspect who died has been identified only as a 19-year-old male who was dead on arrival at Sinai-Grace Hospital. His body was found on the front lawn of a home a few doors away from the home of the shooter.
    The second person shot was a 19-year-old female, who was hit in the leg. She is in critical condition at Sinai-Grace. The unidentified homeowner was unhurt in the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Detroit homeowner shoots 2 suspects during break-in attempt; 1 dead

One person is dead and another wounded after they were shot while allegedly trying to break into a home on the city’s west side early Wednesday morning.According to police, the incident occurred in the 19100 block of Asbury Park, in an area between Seven Mile and Cambridge.
    The unidentified male homeowner fired on the pair after the suspects tried to enter after breaking a window, police said.
    The suspect who died has been identified only as a 19-year-old male who was dead on arrival at Sinai-Grace Hospital. His body was found on the front lawn of a home a few doors away from the home of the shooter.
    The second person shot was a 19-year-old female, who was hit in the leg. She is in critical condition at Sinai-Grace. The unidentified homeowner was unhurt in the incident.
    Do not attempt to break into houses. Do not do anything that might be interpreted as a break-in.

I just don't see how they have the nerve to break in upon someone in their home! Here we have two lives lost and male and female for what? Some Jewelry an table or a flat screen and now their parents must stare down at them in a coffin? Crazy occupation to start so early in.

Default Another Public Service Announcement...

If 3 are shot in a week, just how many home invasions are occurring in the city each week? And it's not even warming up outside yet.

justified or justifiable homicide in detroit.

25 justifiable homicides in Detroit 2012.
    33 justifiable homicides in 2011
    19 justifiable homicides in 2010.

“The number of justifiable homicides isn’t readily available at this time,” Detroit Police 3rd Deputy Chief Rodney Johnson said Tuesday
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...RO01/301010027

No doubt as to justification in this case.

As we've seen in several past cases over the last couple of years, they don't even have to be inside the house.

The intruder doesn't need to be holding a gun for you to use deadly force in your home. Is there a fireplace poker in the same room? Is there a baseball bat near the door? Anything near the intruder that can reasonably construed as a weapon will make a case for the justifiable use of deadly force. Bottom line for me...if someone breaks into my house, I feel in danger for my life.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast