Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Good stuff eastside al. I don't remember Mayfield as the name then tho. This was around 1985, kind of a gay dance crowd,guy that ran it lived in wayne. Girl I was running around with brother used to go there. Manager guy from wayne liked my girl. I got high on the 2 nd floor of that place. Looking right out them windows.

I don't believe this location is the gay night club you are thinking about from back then. That club was called the Famous Door, which was a half block south on the same side.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    Good stuff eastside al. I don't remember Mayfield as the name then tho. This was around 1985, kind of a gay dance crowd,guy that ran it lived in wayne. Girl I was running around with brother used to go there. Manager guy from wayne liked my girl. I got high on the 2 nd floor of that place. Looking right out them windows.

GUSHI Guest

Poor girl, now gonna have to collect unemployment. I hope they can find jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Here is that building as the Mayfield circa 1976.

Note the ancient Carriage Factory sign painted on the upper wall.
    There is the Big Boy next door!

Quote Originally Posted by astongraham View Post
    I don't believe this location is the gay night club you are thinking about from back then. That club was called the Famous Door, which was a half block south on the same side.
    Could be but the name famous door does not ring a bell either. I do remember this building and the triangle shaped parking lot. IDK like I said I was high.
    Hastings

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    See, here's where I'm confused. If this is a sufficiently obvious insurance scam that a bunch of random people on the Internet are able to identify it as such without hesitation, why the hell are the professional claim-deniers who work for the insurance company incapable of arriving at the same conclusion?
    We don't have to prove it, but the insurance guys do. Also, I've imagined a parking garage, maybe six floors high, extending from the current garage location, over the street, and covering where the Grind is and most of the parking lot and vacant lot on that side of the street. Ground floor retail would be available on both sides of Griswold at the corner of Grand River. The garage would not affect D'Mongos or the Downtown Synagogue.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Nice space for a parking structure. With the number of apartments now in the area with more coming on line; convenient parking will be able to sell the apartments even faster. Yeah I know how it sounds, but it is reality.
    The narrow triangular shape of the site makes it very unsuitable for a parking structure. There simply isn't enough room to run ramps on that site, so the only way that you could do a garage would be with an elevator system similar to the Merchant's Row garage. Even doing that, the site becomes way too narrow for garage parking on the northern half of the site.

The surface lot on the north side of the Grind is only able to get cars in and out by using the alley and/or driving over the sidewalk, which can't be done inside a structure.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    The narrow triangular shape of the site makes it very unsuitable for a parking structure. There simply isn't enough room to run ramps on that site, so the only way that you could do a garage would be with an elevator system similar to the Merchant's Row garage. Even doing that, the site becomes way too narrow for garage parking on the northern half of the site.

The surface lot on the north side of the Grind is only able to get cars in and out by using the alley and/or driving over the sidewalk, which can't be done inside a structure.
    This site both wider and longer than the garage across the street from it. You can even make the garage bigger by doing what they did to the 1001 Woodward garage and cantilever it over the alley. I agree the N End is too narrow. You could use it for semi-public space [[example: outdoor cafe for eatery on 1st floor of garage).
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; February-23-14 at 05:48 AM.

Gentleman, I have the solution. I just said it. Let me repeat, "I've imagined a parking garage, maybe six floors high, extending from the current garage location, over the street, and covering where the Grind is and most of the parking lot and vacant lot on that side of the street. Ground floor retail would be available on both sides of Griswold at the corner of Grand River. The garage would not affect D'Mongos or the Downtown Synagogue." If they can build that current garage on that small piece of land, then surely a garage build over the southern portion of the street and the east side of the street will have enough room.
    Last edited by royce; February-23-14 at 01:56 PM.

hopefully something progressive can be done with the property. Fires will happen, but buildings allowed to linger devastated in the city are not needed.. [[and yes, there should be aggressive arson investigations)..

Isn't that parking garage closed? I've never seen it open.

Rebuild the current parking deck to say six stories, extend it over the street, use the land currently occupied by the Grind and the vacant lot to the south of it, and allow for ground floor retail on each side of Griswold and Grand River. Problem solved.

Found this on Flickr. Looking south down Griswold. The youths are standing next to the synagogue.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroit...1095/lightbox/
    Last edited by gnome; February-28-14 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Found this on Flickr. Looking south down Griswold. The youths are standing next to the synagogue.

Wow only Kosins Clothes I remember was on Southfield.

I'm pretty sure I bought my collarless, "Beatle suit" @ the Kosins in the photo, back in the 60's.

Link seems not to work.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Link seems not to work.
    Here is the pic.:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I saw this picture a little further in the same set. Can't believe how blue that building is. When did they clean that smurf color off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroit...n/photostream/
    Last edited by gumby; March-02-14 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added URL

Here is the pic.:
    Thanks. That's downtown looking the way it looked when I worked there in the '80s. This was really the worst of the declining years, with so much disappearing so fast, particularly after Hudson's closed. It looks like that picture was taken after Kosin's had their fire. Despite repeated claims of rebuilding, I believe they never reopened the downtown store.

If part of the block is developed as a parking structure at least any new garages built downtown must have street level retail so that block of Griswold has the potential of some new life over and above parking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2