Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default The Heat Was On, In Many Ways, Tponetom

Just 57 years ago.
    The Summer of 1957. I bought a novelty at that time. A 16 foot Travel Trailer. I traded in my '56 Mustard and Custard Chevy for a '56 Chevy Wagon with that slick 265 [[?) V-8. We, meaning Peggy and I and our two children. 4 and 5 years old, started the Grand Tour to Rushmore, Yellowstone, and other westward points. We had Las Vegas on our itinerary as an afterthought. We did not know what to expect there. Maybe a bunch of cowboys shooting craps in the middle of the street?
    When we got near the outskirts of Vegas our eyes began to open a little wider than usual. We had a Guide book that suggested the Four Queens RV Park. With great trepidation we entered the still unfinished Park. I thought to myself, “This place is going to bust our budget.” I parked near the managers office and before I could get out of the car a big burly cowboy type came lumbering out of the office and headed for our car. With a big ass smile on his face and with a casual gait that said, “I am King of The Four Queens,” I thought of pulling away even if I had to run him over. I rolled my window down and he stuck a paw that seemed to barely fit through the window opening. We shook hands and then he looked over at Peggy. He recoiled in feigned shock and said, “ My Gawd man, what is a piece of ‘road kill’ like you doing with the most gorgeous woman I have ever seen! Well, that broke the ice. I knew I was stuck. Timidly I asked him the price of admission. He said don’t worry about that. Just get yourself parked and then jump in the pool. The kids will love it. I went into the office with him to register. There I asked how much for the lot and he said, “One Dollar, but if you want a portable Air Conditioner for your rig, that will be 50 cents extra.” I told him no to the A.C. A dollar saved is a dollar earned. It was 104 degrees when we arrived there and we had never been in the southwest before. Well, we parked in our spot and unloaded the car. It was hotter than Hades inside the Trailer. Easily 120. I hot footed, literally, back to the office to get the portable A.C. Big Buck was sort of waiting for me. He made it easy for me to salvage a bit of pride. He said, “Well, some people don’t know how hot it can get here and they refuse the A.C.” I said they must be morons, like me. He smiled and we got along great for the five days that we stayed. He had already sent the A.C. over to our spot and his helper connected it.
    Four Trailers and Forty years later, we have never had accommodating people as great as good ole Big Buck.
    The RV business was in its infancy. No big million dollar rigs. Airstream was the cock of the walk. Rv Parks were few and far apart and very Spartan in services. We never had to pay more than a dollar a night.
    In 1950, the population of Vegas was about 25,000. A small cuddly little town. We had made arrangements with another couple with two small children that we had met on the road after leaving Detroit to dog paddle after each other in case we ran into problems, which never did happen. In Vegas we agreed to trade ‘baby sitting’ services with the stipulation that the ‘outgoing couple’ would check back, in person, every two hours or so and that worked out for all of us.
    Talk about Glitz and Glitter and Glamour and CLASS ! That was 1957 Las Vegas ! The new era was just starting. The Movie Stars and other personalities were out in force. To see, and be seen were the two requisites for the entire population of Vegas. The ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’ enjoyed equal status. If the ‘little ‘ people’ were not there to oooo and aaaa over the Gods and Goddesses, there would be little point to the whole show. The most titillating observations were the rich old gentlemen dressed in their most regaling tuxedos and top hats and cane and opera cloaks, supported on either side by young buxom beauties, incredibly dressed with Edith Head creations. This entire fantasy scene, was in fact, reality because even the beggar people such as ourselves took on an aura of importance, because without us, there would be no one to do the fawning.
    We beggars were well rewarded for our performances. 49 cent breakfasts. 99 cent buffets. 1.99 for a steak dinner. Etc.
    Slot machines were prevalent.
    Many crap tables, roulette, baccarat, blackjack and other games I cannot remember.
    Most of those other games have diminished over the years.
    Yes, things have really changed. Ray1936 posted on that sentiment.

Great travel post, love it. I have to admit, I have never paid less than $5 for a campsite, and lately is is upwards of $30 or so for one with full hookups. Vegas has sure changed too. We couldn't find any of those legendary people on the stroll, nor did we score any cheap eats. Still a fantastic place to gawk around at, though.