Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
As a writer, I can tell you that isn't easy. I'd like to see you learn the history of areas you've never researched before, find intriguing people to interview, and write a polished article about it all in the span of maybe 2-3 days - if you're lucky - all while juggling a myriad of other tasks. Because that's how it works nowadays. People want a constant stream of FREE content, and then they want to complain constantly about small factual errors.

Well, maybe if you'd actually paid for content once in a while, there'd be editors to pour over this stuff before it's published, and writers would have enough time to call people three or four times to make sure they didn't misspeak. But until then - oh well.

Fact is, the press is broken and kvetching about the writers isn't going to solve it. When you stopped taking the paper and figured your $30 internet connection entitled you to ALL THE MEDIA, this is what you brought on yourselves.
I definitely understand where you're coming from. It is, in the grand scheme of the world, a relatively small error.

However a quick google search [[if I had never heard of something as strange-sounding as 'Brightmoor' I'd blow up google real quick) gave me a history of Brightmoor in seconds that gave me no impression that Brightmoor was ever middle class.

While you journalists [[or whatever you are) do certainly have to deal with the internet as a medium, you also have the most powerful research tool ever conceived at your fingertips as well. Fact checking is far more easy than ever in human history. We take it for granted, but it is certainly a wonder of the world unheard of two decades ago.

I still pay for the Free Press. Why? Certainly not the quality, I just like having something to hold. I stare at a computer at work all day, why would I want to on Sunday morning?

However the trend for the past decade or so was to make a shittier paper, period. They're busy paying "human interest" idiots like Rochelle Riley and that liar Mitch Albom to write shmaltzy nonsense that pay real writers or for investigative journalism. People will pay for a product if it is worth it, if there is quality. The papers can blame the internet all they want but the fact of the matter is the Free Press isn't worthy of lining a birdcage anymore. Why should people pay to read lies from a smarmy author or a section entitled "MiBestLife." I mean, what the fuck is that even supposed to mean?