Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

LOL! Eastern Markup! Finally, someone who shares my desire to not spend 'hours' shopping [[Eastern Market)... though sometimes I really enjoy an EM event time allows and I really need to save on veggies when I am juicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ...as good as Eastern Mark-Up, more reasonably priced, and I don't have to wait until Saturday and spend 3 hours shopping.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-09-14 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    LOL! Eastern Markup! Finally, someone who shares my desire to not spend hours to shop [[Eastern Market)... though sometimes I really enjoy EM when I have the time and really need to save on veggies when I am juicing.
    I think there are laws prohibiting drinking and shopping.

------! Awesome. Yeah, I really DO need to knock off on all those combined celery, garlic, parsley, and spinach extractions! I'll try straight carrot no chaser next time!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-09-14 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The Honeybee in SW is not a good supermarket. It may be better than the other SW offerings, but the meat and produce are weak.
    Definitely not weak. I would say average to above average. I prefer E&L Supermercado myself, if you're talking SW.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    Definitely not weak. I would say average to above average. I prefer E&L Supermercado myself, if you're talking SW.
    Another good call, IMO.

Its such a beautiful building. I hope its not vacant too long.

Quote Originally Posted by sypo View Post
    However, I am extremely frustrated with the way that the city government goes out of their way to expedite their bureaucratic processes to which small businesses are subject for these corporations and I am totally disgusted with the preferential tax treatment afforded to these corporations.
    Most people think that licensing regimes, regulations and tax codes are designed to keep the population safe. That's what, maybe, 20% of the regulations are designed for. The rest are to protect large businesses from small businesses, or established interests from competing interests. Try to repeal a few regulations to let more competition into the market and you have people screaming about the "deregulation" boogeyman.

That being said, it didn't sound like YOBS was being well run. Maybe with some more capital they would have been able to compete.

The city would benefit by significant deregulation and simplification of licensing. It seems like most of the posters here have developed their opinions of whether various markets have sufficient quality on their own. I would also love to see a flat tax on property consumption or square footage in lieu of unbalanced assessments, abatements and incentives.

IMHO, YOBS was well run. All meat we bought there was excellent. It had most of what we needed. It was a bit pricey and we continued to buy some things at places we frequented before they opened. We will miss the convenience of this store being only a few blocks from our home and hope another independent proprietor will try again soon. Third time's a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This would be a better location for that Hopcat place. Much closer to the new Arena and less competition.
    Just what brush Park and Crackhead Corridor needs, another blind pig bar.

Quote Originally Posted by sypo View Post
    The city would benefit by significant deregu
    lation and simplification of licensing. It seems like most of the posters here have developed their opinions of whether various markets have sufficient quality on their own. I would also love to see a flat tax on property consumption or square footage in lieu of unbalanced assessments, abatements and incentives.

IMHO, YOBS was well run. All meat we bought there was excellent. It had most of what we needed. It was a bit pricey and we continued to buy some things at places we frequented before they opened. We will miss the convenience of this store being only a few blocks from our home and hope another independent proprietor will try again soon. Third time's a charm.
    probably would had survived if it were a Spartan store

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There is not currently any retail in Old Redford that will directly compete with Meijer. If anything it will highlight the Coffee Shops, specialty bakeries and other specialty businesses that are still a vital part of the business district. Face it while not dead, the area is not healthy. A few thousand shoppers drawn to the area will help prop up many of the existing businesses.
    Not Old Redford but I'm certain that Grandland Shopping Center will take a hit. Metro Foodland will be on death watch once Meijer opens...

WSU Police patrols up to Seward. Bonus, they'd be even closer to their HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    I agree completely. Its time to get rid of the ghetto stores on Woodward at New Center so it can begin to look like Midtown south of the boulevard. The only problem is that they wouldn't be able to benefit from Wayne State police protection anymore.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3