Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Downtownguy... if you mean the parking lot between the Kales and the Fine Arts "facade"... that would be where the 7 story Hurley Hospital used to be. I don't know when exactly it was torn down, but it was some time between 1950 and 1970.

Then there's the empty lot just west of the [[now closed Park Apartments) the 2nd building west of Park Ave. on the north side of Adams. That used to be where the auditorium of the Downtown RKO Theatre [[originally the 2,950 seat Oriental Theatre, built in 1927) was, before it was torn down in 1953, leaving the remains of the lobby inside the now closed 17 story Park Apartments Building.

As for those who say that Grand Circus Park looks fine... I have to respectfully disagree... you need to have seen it in its' prime... it currently doesn't have anything resembling an "enclosed" urban feel to it... and has some gaping holes to fill in to get back its' intimate high density look...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Downtownguy... if you mean the parking lot between the Kales and the Fine Arts "facade"... that would be where the 7 story Hurley Hospital used to be. I don't know when exactly it was torn down, but it was some time between 1950 and 1970.

Then there's the empty lot just west of the [[now closed Park Apartments) the 2nd building west of Park Ave. on the north side of Adams. That used to be where the auditorium of the Downtown RKO Theatre [[originally the 2,950 seat Oriental Theatre, built in 1927) was, before it was torn down in 1953, leaving the remains of the lobby inside the now closed 17 story Park Apartments Building.

As for those who say that Grand Circus Park looks fine... I have to respectfully disagree... you need to have seen it in its' prime... it currently doesn't have anything resembling an "enclosed" urban feel to it... and has some gaping holes to fill in to get back its' intimate high density look...
    Thanks for that nugget about the lobby of the Oriental Theatre. I had never heard that before and I have never been inside the Park Avenue Apts. Was the old lobby in view when the apartments were occupied?

But I was asking about the east side of the park, on Witherell. The empty lot between Madison and Adams has been vacant as long as my memory goes, and you noted it was vacant in the old photo SpartanDawg posted. So, two questions really. Had something occupied that side between today and when that photo was taken? If not, how far back until something existed on that lot. To think it was vacant during the heyday of Grand Circus Park is perplexing.

I agree that Grand Circus Park was quite the place back in the day, what with the hotels, theaters, and so many active office buildings. Your post cards show just how impressive it was. But my comment was made more in the spirit of how it looks today without comparing it to what it had been. I was active with the business association there in the 80s and 90s, and GCP has always held a special place in my heart. It is still a beautiful park to walk through or sit in. MikeyinBrooklyn says it is only nice to look at as you drive by. I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement.
    Last edited by downtownguy; February-08-14 at 02:17 PM.