Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

This was the subject of a recent editorial...

http://metrotimes.com/news/politics-...nity-1.1629248

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    This was the subject of a recent editorial...

http://metrotimes.com/news/politics-...nity-1.1629248

We just need to reallocate the tax revenue from social programs to roads. Roads benefit everyone, whereas social programs only benefit some.

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post
    We just need to reallocate the tax revenue from social programs to roads. Roads benefit everyone, whereas social programs only benefit some.
    Yes, but some roads don't benefit me. I want only the roads that benefit me directly to be funded. Then the roads that ARE funded will be paved with gold.

Yes, but some roads don't benefit me. I want only the roads that benefit me directly to be funded. Then the roads that ARE funded will be paved with gold.
    I mean, we all benefit from the roads through economic activity and the goods and services they transport. That said, the roads we use most often should be paved with gold and broken dreams of the proletariat.

I mean, we all benefit from the roads through economic activity and the goods and services they transport. That said, the roads we use most often should be paved with gold and broken dreams of the proletariat.
    Except when the starving proletariat break down your door, rape your sister, and string you up by your basketball hoop in front of the garage. Perhaps during your last moments alive, you may realize you should have funded social programs a bit more. No worries. Happened to Louis XVI, so you'd be in good company.

Except when the starving proletariat break down your door, rape your sister, and string you up by your basketball hoop in front of the garage. Perhaps during your last moments alive, you may realize you should have funded social programs a bit more. No worries. Happened to Louis XVI, so you'd be in good company.

The last one through the door maybe. The first-28 [[never load all 30 in a mag) will be greeted with a 5.56 to the face.

The last one through the door maybe. The first-28 [[never load all 30 in a mag) will be greeted with a 5.56 to the face.
    That's nice, dear. Shhh. The adults are talking about grown-up stuff. Play with your toys quietly.

Agreed.. the only real purpose of those programs is to placate and buy civil peace. none are actually meant to address "poverty".

however, as they say...you can pay the Danegeld, but you never get rid of the Danes. so maybe GP has a bit of a point there.

Wow.

Keep that up and you're going to create a stereotype here that all GP'ers think like you.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Wow.

Keep that up and you're going to create a stereotype here that all GP'ers think like you.
    His comment was factual, and not really political. Who doesn't directly benefit from road maintenance? In contrast, plenty of people derive no benefit from certain social programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    His comment was factual, and not really political. Who doesn't directly benefit from road maintenance? In contrast, plenty of people derive no benefit from certain social programs.
    Here's what gets me. We've paid for years and years for roads and the roads have always been crappy because the money has been diverted for other things, or just not budgeted correctly. Now, peoples' solution is "just give us more money, then we'll fix your roads".

Well, I don't buy that. How about we reallocate resources from luxuries [[like welfare programs) to pay for our roads?

How about we take care of two problems at once?

Everyone thinks the answer is just spend more money. F-that.

How about we reallocate resources from luxuries [[like welfare programs) to pay for our roads?
    Well, as Bham says, you're just stating facts.

Well, I don't buy that. How about we reallocate resources from luxuries [[like welfare programs) to pay for our roads?
    Name:  Thurston_Howell,_III.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  20.7 KB

How is GP for Life real? Is he seriously trolling, trying to make GP stereotypes seem horrifyingly real?
    Last edited by poobert; February-07-14 at 04:46 PM.

Here's what gets me. We've paid for years and years for roads and the roads have always been crappy because the money has been diverted for other things, or just not budgeted correctly. Now, peoples' solution is "just give us more money, then we'll fix your roads".

How about we take care of two problems at once?

Everyone thinks the answer is just spend more money. F-that.
    Great and its people like you who live in some fantasy world where you don't want to spend shit and get shiny new roads. Just add .25 per gallon of gas and be done with it.

The biggest issue isn't the salt, the maintenance or the freeze-thaw cycle. The biggest issue is a lack of willingness by Lansing and Michiganders to pay for the roads to be constructed properly in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The biggest issue isn't the salt, the maintenance or the freeze-thaw cycle. The biggest issue is a lack of willingness by Lansing and Michiganders to pay for the roads to be constructed properly in the first place
    Nothing new here. Mound Road has traditionally been a potholed mess back into the 50s. Macomb County used to have the worst reputation. On the east-west roads, you knew when Oakland County ended and macomb County began by the roads.