Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Nobody is saying that it prevents detroityes from going there but the message is crystal clear. There are biker bars I could technically enter but it is clear I am not wanted.

To not understand that is naive. To frame it in absolutes as far as it not physically preventing people from entering gp is absurd. The message is crystal clear.
    After reading your post, I have no doubt there was some crystal involved somewhere.

I'm pretty offended by the assertion that "Detroiters" are incapable of finding their way around a snow bank.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I'm pretty offended by the assertion that "Detroiters" are incapable of finding their way around a snow bank.
    They'er waiting for it to melt....

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Nobody is saying that it prevents detroityes from going there but the message is crystal clear. There are biker bars I could technically enter but it is clear I am not wanted.

To not understand that is naive. To frame it in absolutes as far as it not physically preventing people from entering gp is absurd. The message is crystal clear.
    The worst thing about the hostile message that is sent by these actions is how some people even refuse to acknowledge or admit the real reason behind them as if it's a joke.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-07-14 at 09:37 AM.

Detroiters are damn resilient. I drove through an urban prairie a few days ago and there was a house that was one of four on the block and the guy was out shoveling his sidewalk because it was the right damn thing to do and he hide pride and cared.

I agree that Detroiters will find their way around a snowbank or wall if they choose to visit a friend or spend some money in GPP.

I live in GPP and frankly the street-closing is a major PIA to me. I consistently took Kercheval down to Connor and then down to Jefferson to my job downtown.

I have managed with little effort to maneuver around it.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The worst thing about the hostile message that is sent by these actions is how some people even refuse to acknowledge or admit the real reason behind them as if it's a joke.
    Is it worse still that people here are asserting they know the "real reason" without any involvement in the decision-making?

I've kinda been reading this thread thinking "they can't be serious, right?" It's starting to dawn on me, "yes, yes they ARE serious". I mean, c'mon..... If GP REALLY hated Detropiters, [[read "Black"), do you think closing one street and leaving hundreds of others wide open is going to keep people out? Do you really think a band of "Detroiters" is going to be sitting @ the closing on Kerchaval going "Great, NOW what do we do?"

So its true! RICHVILLE is putting a wall on Kercheval Road east of Alter Rd near the Detroit border. Those folks don't want to DEAD [[C) KRAK HEADS and ghettohood blight from their beautiful front windows. It's a sign of demarcation and a symbol of racism between poor black community and rich white community.

in the 2000 census, GPP black population was 2.95%, in the 2010 census this had risen to 10.5%.... time to end the rich white stereo type, 1 in 10 people living in GPP is black.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    in the 2000 census, GPP black population was 2.95%, in the 2010 census this had risen to 10.5%.... time to end the rich white stereo type, 1 in 10 people living in GPP is black.....
    But it blaming it on racism is so much easier than fixing the crime\bombed out neighborhoods!

Is it worse still that people here are asserting they know the "real reason" without any involvement in the decision-making?
    Well, I noticed they plow up another big snowbank at Nottingham to block off the "entertainment district" from traffic coming from the east.

Can anyone clarify what "barrier" they are talking about here? If the snowbank, I can't imagine why there would be a fuss about a snow pile pushed across a road that was already closed for six months for road work-- and which will melt as soon as the weather warms up enough to make it walking friendly.

If we are talking about a permanent closing of the road, unless there is something else that everyone knows that I don't, I believe the plan was to close Kercheval in that area to CAR traffic. In that case, I am not too presumptuous to think that Detroiters [[or African Americans if I am picking up the subtext that some people are claiming underlies this whole issue [[and underlies almost all on this board when the GPs are discussed)) wouldn't be able to figure out how to get into GPP. So I fail to see how the creation of a vehicle-free, pedestrian mall would be an unwelcoming overture to any Detroiters...just walk in. And if no one has said it to you before, let me be the first. Welcome to GPP!

I also find it difficult to imagine that many on here would be arguing so fiercely against creating a walkable pedestrian friendly eating/shopping district. Isn't that what so many here clamor for, a walkable eating/drinking area served by several public trans routes?

For those that have asked for examples of entertainment districts that started with construction of a "barrier" there are many examples of successful districts with vehicle barriers. Pedestrian malls are quite popular in other areas of the country, mostly in those where it is safe enough to walk around. Maybe that is why its not well known, apparently, to Detroiters.

Well, I decided to go to the Grosse Pointe Kroger’s today, to do a little grocery shopping. After paying for my purchases, I made two rights, and headed West on Kerchaval towards Detroit. All was going fine until I crossed Maryland Street. Suddenly, there in front of me, was a wall of snow, 3 FEET HIGH! I slammed on my brakes and stopped. There were storefronts on the left, storefronts on the right, the only way out were the sidewalks on each side, I was trapped! I sat there frozen, yet I could feel sweat starting to bead on my brow. How would I get out? Was my hooptie capable of climbing over the curb and squeezing past the barricade down the sidewalk? Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, in my sideview mirror, I caught movement. Two figures were rapidly approaching. He had some kind of Toque hat on, she was wearing a big fuzzy furball hat, both were wearing RAY-BANS! To make matters worse, they had a pair of vicious Husky dogs with them, ON LEASHES! I recognized them immediately for what they were, POINTERS! They stopped and glared @ me. I tried not to make eye contact, but I figured they might come down from the sidewalk and walk up to my car. “Are you Ok man?”, the male asked. So I let my window down ever so slightly. “Yeah MAN, I’m OK, MAN”, I replied, being careful not to let on “I wasn’t from around here”. They both nodded and started to walk away. I had fooled them! Feeling braver, I yelled out the 2” gap of my car window. “HEY, do you when the road opens?” I asked, “I want to go into Detroit”. They both kind of looked @ each other, then the female replied “it’s not going to open. Some guy bought Janet’s Lunch, and a couple of the other buildings, and they want to make a kind of walkable, restaurant, eatery, shopping thing”. I was perplexed. “Well, how will I be able to go into Detroit?”, I asked. The male looked me square in the eye and replied, “make a left or a right, and take one of the other roads”. So THAT was their game! They were enticing poor, unsuspecting, Detroiters, with their “boutiques”, and “grocery stores”, and “eateries”, and once you were in, you were FORCED to find another way out! A way that would take past other boutiques, grocery stores, and eateries. Maybe down some side streets? Side streets where there would be “homes for sale”, or “places for rent”, or maybe one of those “Estate Sales”, digging deeper into the pocketbooks of poor Detroiters until all their valuable resources were exhausted. Clever people the GP City Council. I bet they burned a LOT of midnight oil cooking THAT one up! I’m posting this as a warning to other DetroitYESer’s, for God’s sake, DON’T GO INTO GP! It’s a TRAP!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-08-14 at 05:17 PM.

Honky Tonk
    I normally get my entertainment from terribly predictable reality shows but today my most entertaining moment came from your post. Tanks for the laughs...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well, I decided to go to the Grosse Pointe Kroger’s today, to do a little grocery shopping. After paying for my purchases, I made two rights, and headed West on Kerchaval towards Detroit. All was going fine until I crossed Maryland Street. Suddenly, there in front of me, was a wall of snow, 3 FEET HIGH! I slammed on my brakes and stopped. There were storefronts on the left, storefronts on the right, the only way out were the sidewalks on each side, I was trapped! I sat there frozen, yet I could feel sweat starting to bead on my brow. How would I get out? Was my hooptie capable of climbing over the curb and squeezing past the barricade down the sidewalk? Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, in my sideview mirror, I caught movement. Two figures were rapidly approaching. He had some kind of Toque hat on, she was wearing a big fuzzy furball hat, both were wearing RAY-BANS! To make matters worse, they had a pair of vicious Husky dogs with them, ON LEASHES! I recognized them immediately for what they were, POINTERS! They stopped and glared @ me. I tried not to make eye contact, but I figured they might come down from the sidewalk and walk up to my car. “Are you Ok man?”, the male asked. So I let my window down ever so slightly. “Yeah MAN, I’m OK, MAN”, I replied, being careful not to let on “I wasn’t from around here”. They both nodded and started to walk away. I had fooled them! Feeling braver, I yelled out the 2” gap of my car window. “HEY, do you when the road opens?” I asked, “I want to go into Detroit”. They both kind of looked @ each other, then the female replied “it’s not going to open. Some guy bought Janet’s Lunch, and a couple of the other buildings, and they want to make a kind of walkable, restaurant, eatery, shopping thing”. I was perplexed. “Well, how will I be able to go into Detroit?”, I asked. The male looked me square in the eye and replied, “make a left or a right, and take one of the other roads”. So THAT was their game! They were enticing poor, unsuspecting, Detroiters, with their “boutiques”, and “grocery stores”, and “eateries”, and once you were in, you were FORCED to find another way out! A way that would take past other boutiques, grocery stores, and eateries. Maybe down some side streets? Side streets where there would be “homes for sale”, or “places for rent”, or maybe one of those “Estate Sales”, digging deeper into the pocketbooks of poor Detroiters until all their valuable resources were exhausted. Clever people the GP City Council. I bet they burned a LOT of midnight oil cooking THAT one up! I’m posting this as a warning to other DetroitYESer’s, for God’s sake, DON’T GO INTO GP! It’s a TRAP!
    Cliff notes? Paragraphs?

HT...... Bwahahahaha.

The horror!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Cliff notes? Paragraphs?
    Read it and maybe you'll learn to laugh.

Skynet has offered the GPP Council use of their latest Robo Guardian for a trial run. I noticed that since it was developed in sunny southern Cal where it don't snow, they will only deploy after that pile of snow melts.

In a bid to make local communities safer and give local law enforcement agencies more tools to fight crime, California-based Knightscope recently unveiled a line of K5 robots that it believes will “predict and prevent crime with an innovative combination of hardware, software and social engagement.”

But as we know Detroit had it's own version and how did that go...

Thank you for pointing that out. I have worked in the area and we dined in the Pointes often and have a friend living there.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post

Forget what is seen out the front windows, concern for me living in there would be re. folks breaking-in from the back. Homes that back-up into blight are subject to break-ins and I'd not want to be on that GPP / to Urban Prairie border. I can see why GP police patrol that border so heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    So its true! RICHVILLE is putting a wall on Kercheval Road east of Alter Rd near the Detroit border. Those folks don't want to DEAD [[C) KRAK HEADS and ghettohood blight from their beautiful front windows. It's a sign of demarcation and a symbol of racism between poor black community and rich white community.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Before you go posting nonsense, Danny, you should probably hop on your bicycle, and actually go look this "Berlin Wall" everyone seems to have an opinion about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Forget what is seen out the front windows, concern for me living in there would be re. folks breaking-in from the back. Homes that back-up into blight are subject to break-ins and I'd not want to be on that GPP / to Urban Prairie border. I can see why GP police patrol that border so heavily.
    Amen, it would be nice to come out of the house and not worry whether or not your car still has it's catalytic converter, OR, if you even still own a car!

^^^ No, you're a snob to want to come back home to what you left, or wake up and have what you drove home in. Hah!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast