Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    And what in the hell is "immaculate knowledge" supposed to mean?
    It was used by the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche in his text Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Nietzsche argued that this kind of perception mere fiction, for it ignores the intimate connection between the perceiver and the external world. In particular, it denies the important role that the will and desires of the perceiver have on every perception.

Just thought I'd toss that in. Don't really care about it. Sort of.

Take it for what it's worth, but a poster on Beeradvocate says it will be in Midtown
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/th.../#post-2130929

Quote Originally Posted by freep.com
    Microbrew entrepreneur Mark Sellers is bringing his trendy HopCat brand to Detroit this summer, with plans to open a 130-tap beer bar, Michigan's largest, on the site of the former Agave restaurant at 4265 Woodward Ave. in Midtown.

Hopcat Detroit, with an investment of $3.3 million, will include an outdoor beer garden and live music on the second floor. It will employ 120 people.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014020...ers-craft-beer
    Last edited by Gorath; February-06-14 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    It was used by the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche in his text Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Nietzsche argued that this kind of perception mere fiction, for it ignores the intimate connection between the perceiver and the external world. In particular, it denies the important role that the will and desires of the perceiver have on every perception.

Yeah, your casual attitude is evident in your explanation, which you copied & pasted without even noticing that you had the term wrong, although that hardly matters, given that applying the adjective "immaculate" to a bartender's knowledge is beyond absurd.

I didn't just fall off the back of the turnip truck and onto my head, goddammit.
    And don't take any of that too much to heart. I'm just a prick.
    Last edited by NickCharles; February-06-14 at 08:33 AM.

Looks like it's going on Woodward and Canfield where Agave used to be.

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...d#.UvOW9bSHgq2

I am from GR, and have visited the original HopCat location since it opened. Mr. Sellers is known for taking very good care of his employees. Each one of his ventures in Grand Rapids has been very successful [[HopCat, Grand Rapids Brewing and Stella's). None of these places are known as havens for drunks and fighters. The food is high-end bar food. However, it is more than a step up from BW3. These businesses are all in the same area of Ionia Street in GR. Before people make a judgement on the new HopCat, maybe they should visit Grand Rapids and see what they are like, and how even in conservative West Michigan people see them as an asset.

This is great, great news. I have not been to the HopCat in EL - despite being a MSU alum - but I know people love it and love the Grand Rapids location. Seriously, people have been raving about this place for years. That Agave spot is ideal as well...exciting times continue in Midtown/Downtown!

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

Also Sprach Old Guy

So, DetroitPlanner, what do you think they should put in the old Agave building instead of a restaurant-bar? I'm genuinely curious here, as they are taking a great location for a bar and turning it into... a bar.

Was really hoping for Downtown, but I'm still excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Was really hoping for Downtown, but I'm still excited.
    yeah. but it's in a good little cluster of stuff there. Also, might have better access to WSU there.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Oh please.
    So, you're saying that we had it made because we didn't have access to dozens & dozens of craft beers and most places had a maximum of 3 beers on tap?
    No Sale
    No, I didn't say that.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    yeah. but it's in a good little cluster of stuff there. Also, might have better access to WSU there.
    I really think Midtown is a better fit for a craft beer bar. That seems to be where that crowd resides [[Woodbridge/Art Center/Cultural Center/Midtown/Cass Corridor) and like you said, WSU could be a feeder for this bar. Pretty happy with the choice.

Its great news that the Agave location will be utilized again. Another business making Midtown thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    So, DetroitPlanner, what do you think they should put in the old Agave building instead of a restaurant-bar? I'm genuinely curious here, as they are taking a great location for a bar and turning it into... a bar.
    I don't have any issues with it. It is on a commercial corridor near other similar land uses. I can see it being attractive for this type of development as it is just North of the proposed hockey arena.

I would be surprised if they utilize all 12,000 sq ft as that will require major changes to the building so it will meet ADA.

I also would not be surprised to hear people living in the apartments a block North start to complain as it is quite evident a district is developing here that will bring folks stumbling from bar to bar, with Starters, Union Street, Garden Bowl, etc so close together. Hockey fans are not exactly the same types that will be frequently the Whitney so there will be issues with noise, fighting etc. This is similar to how Kales residents felt about Lux and the Rub BBQ place a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I also would not be surprised to hear people living in the apartments a block North start to complain as it is quite evident a district is developing here that will bring folks stumbling from bar to bar, with Starters, Union Street, Garden Bowl, etc so close together. Hockey fans are not exactly the same types that will be frequently the Whitney so there will be issues with noise, fighting etc. This is similar to how Kales residents felt about Lux and the Rub BBQ place a few years ago.
    Yes because a craft beer bar and Union Street are the same as Rub BBQ and LAX. Yes, they are very similar. I really wonder if you have been to any of these establishments or even have an idea of what these areas are like right now. There will not be drunken fights and unruly amounts of noise. If you think there will be, I am not sure what your perception of bars are [[besides maybe Jersey Shore?) but no, that is not what it is like.

"Hi, my name is Frank Rizzo.

"I live in a community in Southeastern Michigan, and I really enjoy our quality of life here. We have great parks, great restaurants, good local bars, and a real neighborhood feeling. And we have some of the finest schools, best police forces and finest fire coverage you could hope for. My community is a world-class community. And I am blessed to live here.

"Now, the thing is, there's this brewpub they want to open, and, you know, I could have told them right away that the place to open it was somewhere between Royal Oak and Ann Arbor and Ray Township. Anywhere right in there. Drop it down and you'll see you have a successful business, because we enjoy a glass of good beer here in Southeastern Michigan.

"The thing is, you see, they're locating it in the worst possible place. They probably don't realize it, but they're making a big mistake. You see, they're building this place into a building in a city south of here. It's a once-great city that has become a hellhole thanks to the criminals that call it home. They may not realize it now, but they'll regret the day they moved down there once they start getting broken into all the time, or when they have to pay off some city official.

"Now, not everything down there is bad. Just most of it. And that's why I never go down there. That's why I tell my kids not to go down there. And the fact that these bleeding-heart Chicago people want to open a brewery in that cesspool is just a complete shock to me. Don't they know they're supposed to build out here? Where the classy people live? Just wait till they open the doors and droves of homeless people track in, leaving feces all over the bathroom and stealing the silverware!

"Now, I'm not an expert on ruben planning or walkerbility scores. I'm just a public citizen and taxpayer. And I just want to tell these guys one thing. STOP INVESTING IN THAT CITY. We learned a long time ago in Southeastern Michigan that the city is going to be a hellhole, so, why throw good money after bad? What is wrong with them? I want the brewpub it MY back yard, not theirs! Don't they understand that we're better up here? Better than that shithole? I mean, for crying out loud--" [[head pops off)

This message was brought to you by CARDIFF -- Citizens Are Resolved: Detroit is Fucked Forever.

Uhhh, yeah. Cool story, bro.

Just a little creative writing project. Frank is a funny feller.

From today's Detnews:

Mark Sellers, a Michigan native who founded HopCat in Grand Rapids in 2008. "This location puts the state's largest selection of draft beer within blocks of Wayne State University, TechTown and the future home of the Detroit Red Wings. We also are thrilled to be next door to a stop on the M-1 Rail streetcar line, which will be a vital connector for our customers and our team members."

So.... Locating in a cesspool, within blocks of an inferior flagship university and the future home of a cheap, bland arena which generates no spinoff economic activity. And next door to a stop on the slow moving magic choo choo which no one will ride.

Huh.

Watch out for all the hopheads hanging out at HopCat, they're worse than hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Yes because a craft beer bar and Union Street are the same as Rub BBQ and LAX. Yes, they are very similar. I really wonder if you have been to any of these establishments or even have an idea of what these areas are like right now. There will not be drunken fights and unruly amounts of noise. If you think there will be, I am not sure what your perception of bars are [[besides maybe Jersey Shore?) but no, that is not what it is like.
    I don't have an issue. I said that. I am betting that those that live nearby are not going to like having so many bars clustered so close to each other. Are you implying that there are no issues in places like Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, Mt Clemens or any of the other areas where there are a lot of these places? Now put this next to a Hockey Arena? Wow... D-Bag city.

Screaming and yelling at 1-3 am many nights, followed by more yelling, police sirens, etc. Yeah, nice place to live bro.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; February-06-14 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    From today's Detnews:

Mark Sellers, a Michigan native who founded HopCat in Grand Rapids in 2008. "This location puts the state's largest selection of draft beer within blocks of Wayne State University, TechTown and the future home of the Detroit Red Wings. We also are thrilled to be next door to a stop on the M-1 Rail streetcar line, which will be a vital connector for our customers and our team members."

So.... Locating in a cesspool, within blocks of an inferior flagship university and the future home of a cheap, bland arena which generates no spinoff economic activity. And next door to a stop on the slow moving magic choo choo which no one will ride.

Huh.
    Do these brain-dead asinine posts reflect your inner beauty?

Supposedly taking over the Agave location, which seems small for what is described

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I am betting that those that live nearby are not going to like having so many bars clustered so close to each other

Screaming and yelling at 1-3 am many nights, followed by more yelling, police sirens, etc. Yeah, nice place to live bro.
    OMG give me a freaking break. The density of bars in comparable areas of DC, Chicago, etc is higher than Detroit and they have no trouble attracting residents. But it's going to an issue here?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast